Lock clicks after replacing manix 2 scales with aftermarket micarta

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blendergasket

Lock clicks after replacing manix 2 scales with aftermarket micarta

Post by blendergasket »

Hi! I have a cruwear manix with the diamond pattern scales. I recently got some micarta replacement scales for it. I got the scales replaced without too much headache, but now when I disengage the cbbl there is a click. It requires extra effort to disengage, which is fine when conditions are good, but it's too much when my hands are wet and I have trouble disengaging the lock. The back spacer looks to be positioned properly. I can't think of what else would cause this. I would love any ideas you may have. Thank you!
PStone

Re: Lock clicks after replacing manix 2 scales with aftermarket micarta

Post by PStone »

Is there possibly a burr on the scale where the cbbl cage cutout is? That would be my guess.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

blendergasket wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:48 am
Hi! I have a cruwear manix with the diamond pattern scales. I recently got some micarta replacement scales for it. I got the scales replaced without too much headache, but now when I disengage the cbbl there is a click. It requires extra effort to disengage, which is fine when conditions are good, but it's too much when my hands are wet and I have trouble disengaging the lock. The back spacer looks to be positioned properly. I can't think of what else would cause this. I would love any ideas you may have. Thank you!

I had clicking as well on 2 of the Manixes I took apart to dye the scales. There was a raised spot on the lockbar where the cbbl slides back and forth and it was getting stuck before more pressure would push it over the hump and it would click. I had to file that part of the lockbar down to remedy it.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It sounds like maybe something was put together wrong if you both experienced this only after you took it apart.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Put the cage in the wrong way ? The wider opening goes towards the spine.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

My guess is the cage slots on the new scales are too tight/narrow for it to move easily. You can’t really switch the cage around since the ball sits on one side only. You might also try flipping the cage over and see if that does anything. My bet is you’d need to sand the slots open a little bit more. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ferider

Post by ferider »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:58 am
You can’t really switch the cage around since the ball sits on one side only.
Yes you can. And then it clicks. Don't ask me how I know. :o
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

ferider wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:07 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
That’s very odd. The CBBL mechanism is definitely one-sided! Reversing the orientation of this is not going to get you too far! Image from Tap78:

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ferider

Post by ferider »

Trust me, I've done it. With a newer black cage, however. Knife would open, lock and close, with normal effort, but click when opening.
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

Thank you all so much. I will try these suggestions out when I get home and post the results.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Lube it up maybe too.
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

ferider wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
We'll, I took it apart and the lock is pointed in the right direction. I out it back together and the action is very messed up and it still clicks. I don't have time to take it back apart tonight.

One thing I want to do is put the original scales back in to test it out and see if it clicks. I tried to do this and couldn't get the scales around the lanyard hole. Is it ok to gently tap the scales on with a mallet? Or is there some better tool)trick?

I'm going hiking/camping in a couple days and want to devote my evenings until then to reprofiling my strongarm and packing so I likely won't get back to this manix project til next week.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll be back at it next week!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

blendergasket wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:19 pm
ferider wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
We'll, I took it apart and the lock is pointed in the right direction. I out it back together and the action is very messed up and it still clicks. I don't have time to take it back apart tonight.

One thing I want to do is put the original scales back in to test it out and see if it clicks. I tried to do this and couldn't get the scales around the lanyard hole. Is it ok to gently tap the scales on with a mallet? Or is there some better tool)trick?

I'm going hiking/camping in a couple days and want to devote my evenings until then to reprofiling my strongarm and packing so I likely won't get back to this manix project til next week.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll be back at it next week!

to get the scales back on you could put it between two pieces of wood in a vise and slowly close the vise until it goes back together. or just sandwich it between two pieces of wood on a sturdy table and use your body weight to slowly push them back together.

is the chaneel in the lockbar where the button slides a straight smooth line or do you see a weird ridge? mine had a ridge/bump where it seemed like the button kept catching so I filed it down and it smoothed the action out. I wasnt sure if this was how they all were or if it was a machining error.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ferider

Post by ferider »

blendergasket wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:19 pm

Sorry, wrong guess :confused: The other thing you can do to ease the ball bearing lock is tighten the backspacer screws only when the knife is open and the blade under pressure (against the backspacer). This will shift the backspacer a tiny bit back and relieve the ball cage when closing.

Regarding the original scales, a vise as sc pointed out. I usually use pliers, but make sure you shim the vise or the pliers with a tick towel or soft wood before you apply pressure on the scales.

Good luck !

Roland.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

My guess is it’s related to the spring. Is the spring follower intact? They’re easy to break during assembly (ask me how I know).
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

This has happened to me a few times as well. Maybe 50% of the time?, when putting a M2 back together. What I have found, is that even though the metal back-spacer/ball ramp piece is held into place with self-centering countersunk screws. There is still a small amount of movement that can take place, when loose. Of that metal piece (forward and backwards).

If tightened together, when it's too far forward, I get a click sometimes as well. What I do, is loosen those (4) screws (backed out half way), and the pivot (only slightly loosened). Then with the blade out, and the ball and cage pulled back. I put pressure on the end of the blade, onto a poly cutting board, so the blade is pushing that metal piece back some (slack). Then I tighten the screws down. That fixes it up, nearly every time.