Something has been bothering me...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
colin.p

Re: Something has been bothering me...

Post by colin.p »

I haven't noticed too much negativity here but if/when I see it, I just skip past the "offender". Interestingly, "the other rather large knife oriented forum" is the only forum that I have put people on the "ignore" list (over 40 so far) and find it quite pleasant to read.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Attitude and intent are the crucial aspects of a serious discussion. Sometimes opinions differ. Sometimes facts and conclusions are wrong. These can be hashed out in a civilized manner if one’s attitude is positive and the intent is to uncover the truth through rational discussion and evidence. When this goes wrong, as it often does, the conversation turns personal, snide and sometimes insulting. Few of us like that.

I enjoy discussions in which parties may disagree but are engaged in learning about different views with the object of acquiring knowledge and perhaps changing one’s mind. I don’t like off-topic remarks, dismissive comments, personal attacks and ad hominem arguments.

I think we need both polite and interesting conversations about knives and pointed discussions around different ideas and points of view. The first is easy, the second is hard.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Bravo Spydernut for speaking up. It’s a good reminder that we all decide, with every post, what kind of place this is going to be. I think it’s a testament to what kind of place this is that someone can speak up like this and the community will respond positively.
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

How many of us have misconstrued the intent of a friend who sent a text message to us before? All of us? How many of us have taken offense to something truly said in lightheartedness and with no offense whatsoever intended? All of us? Communication is hard even for those of us who are exceptional at it. Eliminate voice tone, volume and inflection, a pause mid-sentence, the visual cues of body language, etc. and it only gets harder.

In many areas of life, we often "see" what we subconsciously seek or want to see. A face on Mars, a government conspiracy, the recollection of an event that actually happened quite differently--our brains are certainly imperfect and not fully understood. Whatever you see or think you see, try to take it in stride. One thing is certain, and that is that we are all responsible 100% for our own feelings. Nobody can make you feel a certain way.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

on_the_edge wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:39 am
How many of us have misconstrued the intent of a friend who sent a text message to us before? All of us? How many of us have taken offense to something truly said in lightheartedness and with no offense whatsoever intended? All of us? Communication is hard even for those of us who are exceptional at it. Eliminate voice tone, volume and inflection, a pause mid-sentence, the visual cues of body language, etc. and it only gets harder.

In many areas of life, we often "see" what we subconsciously seek or want to see. A face on Mars, a government conspiracy, the recollection of an event that actually happened quite differently--our brains are certainly imperfect and not fully understood. Whatever you see or think you see, try to take it in stride. One thing is certain, and that is that we are all responsible 100% for our own feelings. Nobody can make you feel a certain way.
Well said!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Thanks for your post Michael. :)

And remember folks, if we’re not nice here, Sal won’t be so excited to make us forum knives in the future and Michael will just keep all his awesome new designs to himself. This is supposed to be an enjoyable “hobby” for many (most) of us, and there’s no better spot on the internet to discuss the many, many great aspects of that - in the spirit of “shiny footprints.”
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

Now add a cultural monkey wrench formula! Imagine how many different cultures we have on the forum...myself included.

I love being a member of this forum and I certainly apologize if I’ve offended anyone with any of my posts...certainly not the intention.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
ferider

Post by ferider »

on_the_edge wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:39 am
There is even a law for this, "Poe's law" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

In case of doubt, insert emoticons.
foofie

Post by foofie »

I spend more time here than any other forum, even if I don't post much. The knives are a given - but it is the people that make this forum worthwhile. It is kind of like a family - with the occasional squabbles, misinterpreted gestures, and odd uncle Willy sitting in the corner mumbling to himself (that would be me...). And don't forget our patriarch - thanks Sal. I wouldn't be anywhere else.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

This thread is a good reminder for all of us. Excellent points were made. I agree that it is easy to misinterpret/misunderstand written words at times, which makes it extra important to give others the benefit of the doubt, respect each other, and respect the rules. Especially in view of the fact that we're in someone else's house here - thanks Sal and Co. for letting us in!

As one of the newer members here, I can say that my experience on the forum has been very pleasant. There are a lot of kind, helpful, and interesting folks here.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Couldn't agree more about an age of invcivility that bleeds through into our cherished places. (And I don't doubt that I've contributed more to the problem than the solution myself.)

A certain celebrated president said recently that he fears the US is slipping into apathy. I don't think that assessment could be more wrong: rather than being oblivious and noncommittal, most of us are basically picking a fight with most of the conversations we have.