Cruwear vs. S35VN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ferider

Cruwear vs. S35VN

Post by ferider »

Anybody have similar knives in both steels ? Obviously to me, Cruwear is easier to sharpen, and S35VN is more stainless.

Say, for the PM2, wrt wear resistance, hardness and toughness, they seem pretty similar to me, no ? Thanks,

Roland.
blendergasket

Re: Cruwear vs. S35VN

Post by blendergasket »

I have a pm2 in both steels and I am selling the s35cn because I never use it anymore. I really love cruwear. It hasn't stained at all yet with regular use. The only place I wouldn't being my cruwear pm2 would be the ocean and after getting sand in the pivot of my s35vn pm2 I realized that beach camping is a fixed blade only affair.

I feel like the cruwear holds an edge a little longer but I haven't used my s35 in a while so I may be mistaken. It is very pleasurable to sharpen and after the initial sharpening I haven't had any toughness issues.

Cruwear, m4 and k390 are my favorite steels of the few I've tried.
ferider

Post by ferider »

blendergasket wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:17 am
I have a pm2 in both steels and I am selling the s35cn because I never use it anymore. I really love cruwear.

: : :

Cruwear, m4 and k390 are my favorite steels of the few I've tried.
Thanks for the answer, BG. I'm kind of on the same route (replace k390 with Rex 45) .... that's why I was wondering.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I actually like s35vn. For a low maintenance knife, especially a travel knife (because everywhere I travel is more humid than where I live) I tend to go stainless.

For work knives, especially knives I carry at home (in the desert) I tend to go with high wear resistance carbon steels (Maxamet is my favorite, followed by K390).

In your case, I might go with the s35vn, because for me the PM2 is in the "small, precise" category where I don't really need the high toughness of Cru-Wear.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

Please explain why you no longer use the s35vn blade steel knife did this material fail in some way?
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

CPM Cru Wear is much tougher than S35VN. Regular Cruwear is a little harder to predict how it compares, probably similar. Cru Wear also has a greater potential for hardness than S35VN. Wear resistance of S35VN is a little better.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

Larrin wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:40 am
CPM Cru Wear is much tougher than S35VN. Regular Cruwear is a little harder to predict. Cru Wear also has a greater potential for hardness than S35VN. Wear resistance of S35VN is a little better.
I understand the details of the CRU wear steel.
https://www.crucible.com/eselector/prod ... weart.html
But have you yourself or someone you know of had a failure of a knife with s35vn steel used in it's blade.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:45 am
But have you yourself or someone you know of had a failure of a knife with s35vn steel used in it's blade.
I didn’t say anything about “failure(s) of a knife.”
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

Larrin wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:49 am
snapshot2017 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:45 am
I didn’t say anything about “failure(s) of a knife.”
I understand what you said "posted" i am just asking you a question.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:51 am
Please explain why you no longer use the s35vn blade steel knife did this material fail in some way?
If you're concerned about your new S35VN knife failing try not to overthink it. Use the knife as intended and it should serve you well. S35VN is plenty tough for general EDC use. I have several knives with it and I've never had an issue. I don't apply a lot of lateral stress on the edges either.

I like Cruwear too but not because I need the extra toughness. I just like how it sharpens. That's one of the reasons I like S35VN too. Both get sticky sharp fairly easily.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:28 am
snapshot2017 wrote:
If you're concerned about your new S35VN knife failing try not to overthink it. Use the knife as intended and it should serve you well. S35VN is plenty tough for general EDC use. I have several knives with it and I've never had an issue. I don't apply a lot of lateral stress on the edges either.

I like Cruwear too but not because I need the extra toughness. I just like how it sharpens. That's one of the reasons I like S35VN too. Both get sticky sharp fairly easily.
I am not concerned about my new Spyderco MP2 with it's s35vn steel for it's blade material, i have many other knifes using many materials for their blade material.

My new Spyderco Manix2 has s110v as it's blade material, other non Spyerco knifes i own have for example Elmax M390 14c28n 154cm n680 even one with 1059.

But i understand i don't use them in conditions others might be using these steels in, so i am always looking for people who make comments about their knifes.
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

snapshot2017 wrote:
I only need one pm2 and I absolutely love the edge I can put on the cruwear version. Imthats the biggest difference for me I think, but it seems really well balanced. I'm sure the s35vn one would do you fine.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Both steels are excellent blends of different characteristics and as mentioned, will be excellent steels for general use, one more corrosion resistant, the other tougher.. I own both in the PM2 and would do just fine if either was my only mid sized knife.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

CPM Cruwear has held an edge better than S35Vn for me. In a CATRA test, it's possible S35Vn is better, but real world use is a bit different sometimes. Also, I haven't used S35Vn from Spyderco because I have so much of it from other companies (obviously heat treat quality varies).

CPM Cruwear is one of my more preferred steels for EDC. I like CTS XHP better than S35Vn, too.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

Cujobob wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:05 pm
CPM Cruwear has held an edge better than S35Vn for me. In a CATRA test, it's possible S35Vn is better, but real world use is a bit different sometimes. Also, I haven't used S35Vn from Spyderco because I have so much of it from other companies (obviously heat treat quality varies).

CPM Cruwear is one of my more preferred steels for EDC. I like CTS XHP better than S35Vn, too.
Please explain just why you like CST XHP better then S35VN.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:14 pm
Cujobob wrote:

I like the way CTS XHP sharpens a lot. I've been able to get incredible results with that steel and the edge retention is more than sufficient. S35Vn sharpens better than S30V, I feel like, but that whole line of steel I don't enjoy working with.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

Cujobob wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:16 pm
snapshot2017 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:14 pm
Cujobob wrote:

I like the way CTS XHP sharpens a lot. I've been able to get incredible results with that steel and the edge retention is more than sufficient. S35Vn sharpens better than S30V, I feel like, but that whole line of steel I don't enjoy working with.
Thank you for your answer to my question.
med

Post by med »

Carbon tool steel folders are weird! :) The main advantage is for prying. Yeah I pry but I mainly use my folders as a do it all cutting tool so I find that a high quality stainless is best. S35VN is an excellent cutlery steel.

As far as Spyderco sprint runs, you dont think, you just buy, thought goes out the window (for me). Additionally the color of the scales is the most important detail. Aftermarket scales are out of the question. :)
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

med wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:06 pm
Carbon tool steel folders are weird! :) The main advantage is for prying. Yeah I pry but I mainly use my folders as a do it all cutting tool so I find that a high quality stainless is best. S35VN is an excellent cutlery steel.

As far as Spyderco sprint runs, you dont think, you just buy, thought goes out the window (for me). Additionally the color of the scales is the most important detail. Aftermarket scales are out of the question. :)
Carbon tool steel advantages go beyond just prying, but it really depends on which steels we are talking about. Take 52100, for example, it is capable of extremely fine angles because of it's extreme edge stability. It can be hardened to be very tough, but it can also have very good edge retention or allow some of the best edges you'll ever experience. Tough steels are not just for being used for baton-ing and prying. Cardboard is often very dirty and the stuff you're cutting through can do damage to your edge. You may hit a staple, as an example. We don't live in a world where the only thing being cut is clean paper and that's why having a decently tough steel is so important.
med

Post by med »

Cujobob wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:09 pm
med wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:06 pm

Carbon tool steel advantages go beyond just prying, but it really depends on which steels we are talking about. Take 52100, for example, it is capable of extremely fine angles because of it's extreme edge stability. It can be hardened to be very tough, but it can also have very good edge retention or allow some of the best edges you'll ever experience. Tough steels are not just for being used for baton-ing and prying. Cardboard is often very dirty and the stuff you're cutting through can do damage to your edge. You may hit a staple, as an example. We don't live in a world where the only thing being cut is clean paper and that's why having a decently tough steel is so important.
I agree theres so many a blanket statement like mine doesnt make much sense especially when its mostly inaccurate. But. I posted it I have to live with it. :D :spyder: