Spyderco oddballs and settling on the one (or ones)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nice marmot

Spyderco oddballs and settling on the one (or ones)

Post by Nice marmot »

So I started acquiring/collecting spydercos about twelve years ago. At first I was mesmerized by the many unique designs that looked like no other knife I'd seen before. Fast forward to today and I've slowly gotten rid of almost all of them. The dodo- loved the look and performance it just wasn't a good edc for me. The green Lum folder- again beautiful but too slippery for me. The captain- loved the look but couldn't find a use for the shape. The civilian- no clue why I bought that in the first place. There are others I'm forgetting about. Only one of the "oddball" designs I've kept is the ss poliwog- just too neat to part with. I've tried, with a few exceptions, to trade or sell off all of the knives I've had that I don't feel comfortable carrying. So today my edc's consist of a few millies (440v,ti S30v, s110v) a para 1 in D2, a few caly 3s and as of today a s110v para 3. So my question is do any of y'all acquire and keep certain designs for the "artistic" nature of the piece? I'm not talking about beauties like kopas or original Persians that have beautiful materials and design, but kind of "out there" designs. Do you find these useful for everyday tasks? Or are you too caught up in rarity or resell value to use?
juggler

Re: Spyderco oddballs and settling on the one (or ones)

Post by juggler »

The Dodo is the only one I bought that I would regard as an oddball... and I sold it just like you did: wonderful handling and great design but I quickly realized I wouldn't be using it that much (if at all).

I'm kind of considering a Spyderhawk right now, but I'm afraid it would end up the same way.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I put a beautiful blue almite Navigator up on ebay today. Gorgeous knife, and a pretty good user -- if I ever used it. It's just too pretty to carry.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marmot,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:47 pm
I put a beautiful blue almite Navigator up on ebay today. Gorgeous knife, and a pretty good user -- if I ever used it. It's just too pretty to carry.
If it wasn't bnib and a serious collector's item I would be jumping on it. Its a cool model
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I wish the dodo would make a return. I sold mine. Highly regret it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
embry386

Post by embry386 »

The ATS-55 Rescue is kind of an "out there" design to use as an EDC, especially for me because I don't do any sort of rescue work and I live in a desert not by an ocean, but I love mine and it's my EDC for now. The serrations and sheepsfoot shape without any belly are nice. That handle is ridiculously comfortable, and I like that it's nearly as long as the Endura but much lighter -- long enough to do stuff with, without the material being cut slipping off the blade, and so convenient to carry that I forget I have it until I need it.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I truly love the Flat Iron. The design is phenomenal. Unfortunately they are rare as hens teeth.

Rich
Think for yourself
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have a Szabo folder I carry once in a while, it's kind of out there. It's not the best utility knife I have, but after putting a thin edge on it, it cuts surprisingly well.
:unicorn
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm a HUGE fan of the more oddball designs. I'm always on the lookout, because it's something you won't find anywhere else! It's a unique cutting experience.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Love this one:

garret

Post by garret »

A few days ago I lost the opportunity to get a bifold, a really strange thing. Maybe next time
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I do not have one but i do love the gunting as an oddball spydie. :)
( when if first found this picture on google i found the knife to be so ugly but if you look at it more and more it becomes a beauty :D )

SF Native

Post by SF Native »

In the overall knife community, most of the spyderco catalog could be considered oddball. Spyderco has knives with a blade shorter than 3 1/2” and many are not flippers!
Current favorites are q ball, roc, myrtle, and chubby.
Maybe I need a Shabaria when they come out.
juggler

Post by juggler »

apollo wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:59 pm
if you look at it more and more it becomes a beauty :D )
Maybe I haven't looked long enough, but... no, not really :D
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There are some that straddle the line between quirky and functional. I'm a big fan of the Sliverax because it's aesthetically pleasing and works well as a knife. I definitely appreciate form following function but I really appreciate when the two meet in the middle without any major compromise.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:55 pm
Love this one:

Can you tell me what model that is? It's pretty neat!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

ALL knife manufacturers fall in to the trap of designing and making knives that look and perform alike, so I buy and collect from everyone what I think are the best models. That helps me to feel like I've fallen in to something that has no rhyme or reason.

I have around 75 knives and would buy all but maybe one or two again and I plan on keeping them all.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
PStone

Post by PStone »

It’s the Poliwog. Very cool knife.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... g-G-10/402
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

I really like the Introvert. Not so much for the artistic design, but for the function. Supreme grip and control and a new and unique approach to hard use. This one will never slip out of your hand and reduces fatigue by keeping your wrist in a neutral position. I have used it for woodcarving as well as plant trimming. We'll probably never get to see it, but different steel options and a larger bladed version would have been cool.