Spyderco oddballs and settling on the one (or ones)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
#Riot77

Re: Spyderco oddballs and settling on the one (or ones)

Post by #Riot77 »

I love the different design concepts. That’s what makes Spyderco knives so appealing to me. I try to collect ones that I know I will use as well as ones that are way too out there for EDC. I would agree with BIGSTRETCH on the introvert, but I would have to say that it’s a little more ackward that I imagined it to be.

As far as “out there” ones the Dodo for sure, Massad Ayoob, karimbit, etc. They don’t get carried.

And the one that I wish I had the “guts” to carry is the Starmate. What a knife that one is!
Alright, alright, alright.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

apollo wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:59 pm
I do not have one but i do love the gunting as an oddball spydie. :)
Unless you knew the story behind the GUNTING I think anyone would truly consider it to be in the "ODDBALL" category. I would have to say the same about the C-111 Captain and until I actually used one to skin an animal it was then I realized that the CAPTAIN was designed with a specific purpose in mind. I would love to talk to Jason Breeden ( the designer of the CAPTAIN) and pick his brain to see what he had in mind when he designed it.

Now the GUNTING is really a specialty, self defense knife. And unless you knew about the designer Bram Frank you would automatically think that the GUNTING had an alien origin :rolleyes: So with all that being said is it even fair to call either one of those an "ODDBALL"??

Look at the knives that the shuck oysters with for instance. If I didn't know what that knife was designed for I would say it was an "ODDBALL".

You almost have to talk to the designers of certain knives to see what they had in mind with the design. I've actually discovered Eric Glesser's Dodo design that was spoken of earlier to actually be a great all purpose EDC. Now I will admit that I liked that blade much better in Spyderedge than I do in plain edge>> and I use my blue PE Dodo every so often.

So unless we can get into the minds of the designers of certain blades you could probably call most of these newer knives recently coming out to be "Oddballs" This is a very interesting thread though :)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Bring back the dodo!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!