St. Nick's Knives Exclusive Para 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: St. Nick's Knives Exclusive Para 3

Post by steelcity16 »

Foolish Mortal wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:14 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:56 pm
rgrad80 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:37 am
It would be cool if they allowed people who bought their Delica exclusive the opportunity to buy 1 of this exclusive before it goes live...like a “St. Nicks Spyderco exclusive loyalty program”. It’s a hoop dream, but it would give us a chance to get one before the clippers get to it.

I really like my St. Nicks Delica, I’m sure this next one will be cool too.

As a buyer of two of those awesome Delicas I REALLY like this idea!! :D Regardless of the price, I am shocked that those are still in stock. People pay way more than that for the FRN Delica SuperBlue sprints now on the secondary market.
The enthusiasts who will buy a Delica for 190 dollars have already bought one. The flippers aren't going to buy them unless it looks like it will be a knife that will sell at a good profit margin. What will they go for on the secondary market when sold out? "Sold out forever" will make them special, but until then, barring a price reduction, St. Nicks is looking at their money tied up in that knife as being money not working for them.

I'd mark down the price as much as I could without violating my agreement with Spyderco, trying to break even, and put that money back to work for me, if I were St. Nick. Or, if I wanted to play psychological games, I'd take all but around 30 "out of inventory" and watch those 30 fly off the shelves, wait for the secondary market to come into play, and then release another batch a few months down the road. Anything is better than inventory showing on a web page as not moving. It does nothing for demand.

They're a rarity, but people are short-sighted until they can't get them anymore, and then you'll see them on the secondary market for a good sum of money.

I agree that the inventory being shown on the page is one of the main reasons it hasn't sold out, if not the main reason. There are no panic buyers or flippers when you can see that they are only selling one per day. #NOMOFOMO

I think the new Para 3 will drive some Delica sales after it brings new people and attention to their site.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Foolish Mortal wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:
rgrad80 wrote:
It would be cool if they allowed people who bought their Delica exclusive the opportunity to buy 1 of this exclusive before it goes live...like a “St. Nicks Spyderco exclusive loyalty program”. It’s a hoop dream, but it would give us a chance to get one before the clippers get to it.

As a buyer of two of those awesome Delicas I REALLY like this idea!! :D Regardless of the price, I am shocked that those are still in stock. People pay way more than that for the FRN Delica SuperBlue sprints now on the secondary market.
The enthusiasts who will buy a Delica for 190 dollars have already bought one. The flippers aren't going to buy them unless it looks like it will be a knife that will sell at a good profit margin. What will they go for on the secondary market when sold out? "Sold out forever" will make them special, but until then, barring a price reduction, St. Nicks is looking at their money tied up in that knife as being money not working for them.

I'd mark down the price as much as I could without violating my agreement with Spyderco, trying to break even, and put that money back to work for me, if I were St. Nick. Or, if I wanted to play psychological games, I'd take all but around 30 "out of inventory" and watch those 30 fly off the shelves, wait for the secondary market to come into play, and then release another batch a few months down the road. Anything is better than inventory showing on a web page as not moving. It does nothing for demand.

They're a rarity, but people are short-sighted until they can't get them anymore, and then you'll see them on the secondary market for a good sum of money.
My first suggestion is SNK should bring back the 10% coupon they accidentally offered for the Delica. That's what got me off the fence. I agree these will likely be a hot item on the secondary market once they're sold out. Heck they're already getting $30-$50 over on ebay already.
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

Personally, I love the look of the Delica. I eyed it hard as my first Spyderco, but as a non-steel guy (All my stuff is run of the mill like 154CM.) I couldn’t justify the extra hundred bucks for the scales and coated blade. My EDCs in the everyday steels have done everything I’ve ever asked of them without any issues, so I don’t see the need for the ‘rarer’ stuff. I am impatiently awaiting the Native 5 Salt, but that will be used in and around water when I fish. So, I can justify the increased cost there. I think they priced us non-steel guys out of the market by using the HAP40.

I’m really hoping the Para3 exclusive uses a more run of the mill steel to keep the price reasonable. Again, I’d be buying it because I like the red/black combo, so I wouldn’t be willing to spend a ton of extra money about a steel I don’t care about.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Brackish wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:53 pm
Personally, I love the look of the Delica. I eyed it hard as my first Spyderco, but as a non-steel guy (All my stuff is run of the mill like 154CM.) I couldn’t justify the extra hundred bucks for the scales and coated blade. My EDCs in the everyday steels have done everything I’ve ever asked of them without any issues, so I don’t see the need for the ‘rarer’ stuff. I am impatiently awaiting the Native 5 Salt, but that will be used in and around water when I fish. So, I can justify the increased cost there. I think they priced us non-steel guys out of the market by using the HAP40.

I’m really hoping the Para3 exclusive uses a more run of the mill steel to keep the price reasonable. Again, I’d be buying it because I like the red/black combo, so I wouldn’t be willing to spend a ton of extra money about a steel I don’t care about.

I think it is priced so high largely because of the G10 scales and ????, well that's all I can come up with. You definitely could enter the world of high speed tool and super steels for run of the mill prices. Cutlery Shoppe's exclusives in particular are fantastic, available, and relatively "budget friendly". If you don't like Orange, they're still bright enough to take rit dye too.
Crux

Post by Crux »

It's a black coated blade coming in at around $165. Steel unknown.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

BigGrove wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:34 pm
Foolish Mortal wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:
rgrad80 wrote:

My first suggestion is SNK should bring back the 10% coupon they accidentally offered for the Delica. That's what got me off the fence. I agree these will likely be a hot item on the secondary market once they're sold out. Heck they're already getting $30-$50 over on ebay already.
I frankly think Ebay stinks and I try to avoid it at all costs. But, if we say one sells for $239 ($50 over SNK's price) with free shipping, you can deduct 10% off the top for Ebay (-$23.90), another 3.5% for PP (-$8.37), postage with no insurance (-$7.80), we're already at $200, that's not even $10 profit for your time and effort. Not that I am espousing those prices at all because I do not. And when they are all gone from SNK, you may "see them on the secondary market for a good sum of money" but I will bet that you won't "see them selling on the secondary market for a good sum of money." Just my opinion, but we all know about opinions... ;)
Crux

Post by Crux »

I agree. My wife sells on eBay and it's a scam. They gave up on their sellers years ago so I left eBay after they changed the rules.
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:17 pm
Brackish wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:53 pm

I think it is priced so high largely because of the G10 scales and ????, well that's all I can come up with. You definitely could enter the world of high speed tool and super steels for run of the mill prices. Cutlery Shoppe's exclusives in particular are fantastic, available, and relatively "budget friendly". If you don't like Orange, they're still bright enough to take rit dye too.
Thanks! I’ll be sure to check them out.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
Crux

Post by Crux »

I was just getting ready to rit dye a black M4 para 3 to that exact color. I'll wait now.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

on_the_edge wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:10 pm
BigGrove wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:34 pm
Foolish Mortal wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

I frankly think Ebay stinks and I try to avoid it at all costs. But, if we say one sells for $239 ($50 over SNK's price) with free shipping, you can deduct 10% off the top for Ebay (-$23.90), another 3.5% for PP (-$8.37), postage with no insurance (-$7.80), we're already at $200, that's not even $10 profit for your time and effort. Not that I am espousing those prices at all because I do not. And when they are all gone from SNK, you may "see them on the secondary market for a good sum of money" but I will bet that you won't "see them selling on the secondary market for a good sum of money." Just my opinion, but we all know about opinions... ;)
I think I missing the point of your post...

Buyers are already paying more on eBay than it can be purchased for at SNK, what does the sellers' profit margin have to do with that?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Turns out the steel is 4V.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

This will drop on Thursday (9/20) at 7:00 pm Central Time. Price is $154.95
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Whoa! That’s the first 4V folder period is it not?
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Nice looking knife and very intriguing steel choice!

steelcity16 will be overjoyed. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Very nice. Are the liners with DLC too? I can't see in the pictures.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Well crap, trying to get ahold of one of these is going to be a challenge! Setting every reminder alarm I can think of.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Their website will crash under the load, lol.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

This is very intriguing! But getting a good if one will be tough. It is decently priced though
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Rutger wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:44 pm
Very nice. Are the liners with DLC too? I can't see in the pictures.
It's not likely that the liners are coated since the one side is also the lock bar.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:37 pm
Nice looking knife and very intriguing steel choice!

steelcity16 will be overjoyed. ;)

Finally! :D Is there a limit on these? In for 100.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red