Which salt knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

Which salt knife?

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thinking about getting a salt series. Want one with a blade 3" or less and preferably not a coated (black) blade. Plain edge. Also I'm not rich. Would you recommend the Salt two or the dragonfly? Or some other variant?

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
vivi

Re: Which salt knife?

Post by vivi »

If its possible I'd handle the Dragonfly and Salt 2 prior to purchase, so you can pick which one fits your hands better.

Barring that, I think the Salt 2 is a bit more versatile than a Dragonfly.

Also, whichever knife you choose, I'd suggest finishing the edge with a low grit when you sharpen the knife. It helps PE H1 hold an edge longer in my experience. Spydercos medium bench stone is as polished as I'd go.
:unicorn
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I really like my H1 Dragonfly2 Hawkbill
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Many thanks!
I've handled the dragonfly but not the salt version. Sadly my locals tore does not stock it...

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:43 pm
I really like my H1 Dragonfly2 Hawkbill
Same! SE though...
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

You really can't go wrong either way, IMO. But if I had to chose between the two, I would probably suggest the Salt 2. I have the black-on-black Salt 2 version and I really like it. It looks and feels just like a Delica in hand, but the Salt 2 also feels a bit more "robust" thanks to a slightly thicker blade. (The Salt 2's blade thickness is .100", while the Delica's blade thickness is .090").
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you need to really use it for harder jobs and extended periods the Salt 2 will probably be better as it's a little beefier and will have more grip.

That's said the Dragonfly is the best "little big knife" out there if you ask me especially if you opt for the serrated version (I know you said PE but it's just that good). It cuts far better than a knife of that size should. It'll also out slice the Salt 2, it has a thinner and taller hollow grind and wedges less in rigid materials.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it really depends on what your uses will be, but neither of these is a bad choice. i don’t have a salt 2, but i’ve handled the delica plenty and i have both the pacific salt and the dragonfly 2 salt. if it’s just for standard edc tasks, either is fine. if your plan is to take it into the water for whatever you might encounter there, i would go for the longest se blade you can carry. if that is the salt instead of the pacific, go for the salt. i love the df2, but it is a backup blade for me because i like a little more blade.

one other note that i never see mentioned... i don’t know if it is the material for the wire clip on the df2 salt or what, but mine is definitely not as secure as the wire clip on my manix 2 lw. the df2 also rides a little shallow in the pocket compared with other spydercos and it’s size and less secure wire clip make me a little more wary of it than i would be of the salt. honestly, you’ll likely never lose it, but i have pulled it from it’s clipped position more than once accidentally.

i surprisingly prefer the ergonomics of the df2 to the delica, but if i had to choose only one, and only between these two, for edc, i’d have to go with the delica. if i had to choose only one salt, it would be the pacific. if i could choose two, it would be the pacific se and the native pe we're all impatiently waiting for.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
tangent

Post by tangent »

Unless you need the knife to be extremely small, the Salt 2 is a better option. It allows for a better, more usable grip in my experience. These are just my opinions of course.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I have the Salt Dragonfly 2 and it’s a great knife. It’s the only Salt series knife I own besides the Spydiechef. I think it’s the better knife and the LC 200N steel is superior to H1. Is the Caribbean too large for you? That is the same steel as the Spydiechef I think.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Native 5 Salt, when it finally comes out!

You should also get the Caribbean!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

^^ came here to say that! If you really want PE, consider waiting for the Native Salt in lc200n. Salt 2 or Pacific Salt if you’re good with SE.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Native 5 Salt when it comes out. I feel like everybody is buying that one lol.

But Salt 2 if you want a small serrated. It is a rust proof serrated delica with a sheepsfoot blade and probably .5 ounce less weight.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I was and still partial to the Tasman. Great knife if you like hawkbills.
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:29 pm
Native 5 Salt, when it finally comes out!

You should also get the Caribbean!
The Native 5 Salt is killing me. Slowly.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:37 pm
if i had to choose only one salt, it would be the pacific. if i could choose two, it would be the pacific se and the native pe we're all impatiently waiting for.
I'm thinking about trying out this combo to see if LC200N will be 100% rust proof for me like H1. I've always liked the Native ergonomics but it's smaller than I want in an EDC, so a Pacific Salt would pair well with one. Should only be 5-5.5oz total.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:22 pm
If you need to really use it for harder jobs and extended periods the Salt 2 will probably be better as it's a little beefier and will have more grip.

That's said the Dragonfly is the best "little big knife" out there if you ask me especially if you opt for the serrated version (I know you said PE but it's just that good). It cuts far better than a knife of that size should. It'll also out slice the Salt 2, it has a thinner and taller hollow grind and wedges less in rigid materials.
What D said!

The Dragonfly SE HB is an exceptional little knife.

Mine came perfect, near hair whittling sharp and it’s a little cutting machine. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Unless you really need a Salt knife I would wait for the next gen to roll out with LC200N. I imagine at least some of the models will be available in that steel.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

like everyone said, depends much on your uses but both are excellent. :rolleyes:

If you want pure capability, strength and reliability, the Salt I (or II) is a great EDC, and can handle most tasks.

The DF2 is a "little big knife" better used as a secondary blade due to its edge length, size, grip, and clip, but it can do a lot of tasks too given its size, but better suited for non knife-friendly environments, and ultra low weight carry (swim shorts, etc.) :cool:

I would recommend the Salt II for an all-around blade, with decent length, versatility and a secure clip for carrying over the DF :o
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Get both, haha. Like others have said, it really depends on what your uses are. I love my DF2 Salt, it stays clipped in my swim trunks at the pool, lake and beach. It also serves as a backup blade when I kayak fish.