Poll: Preferred steel choice(s) for a Manix 2 XL Sprint or Exclusive?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which of these steels would you buy a Manix 2 XL Sprint/Exclusive in?

CPM-3V
10%
CPM-4V (or Vanadis 4 Extra aka V4E)
15%
CPM-CRUWEAR
15%
CPM Rex 45
14%
6%
CPM-M4
11%
Maxamet
7%
S110V
3%
M390
11%
Would NOT buy a Manix 2 XL in any steel...not for me
9%

Total votes: 228

steelcity16

Poll: Preferred steel choice(s) for a Manix 2 XL Sprint or Exclusive?

Post by steelcity16 »

Which of these steels would you buy a Manix 2 XL sprint/exclusive in? Choose ALL of the ones you would buy if it were the next sprint/exclusive for the Manix 2 XL. Also specify if you would prefer DLC or satin/stonewash?

I would buy any of the first 7 on this list in DLC, and they are listed in the order of my personal preference. I really want to see Spyderco release a big 3V Golden made folder and the Manix 2 XL would be on my short list. Cruwear is another obvious choice for this big hunk of blade, but I would like to see DLC since it would be the first DLC Cruwear blade. My two Manix 2s are the DLC 52100 and DLC M4 and I love them. A DLC 3V or DLC Cruwear Manix XL would make a perfect companion to those two.

Disclaimer: I left S90V out since there has already been a Sprint in that one. I also left out CTS-204P since it has been said that they probably won't be able to get this steel in the foreseeable future.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
swigert

Re: Poll: Preferred steel choice(s) for a Manix 2 XL Sprint or Exclusive?

Post by swigert »

Cruwear please and can we please adjust clip placement.
vivi

Post by vivi »

None of those interest me at all unless they are DLC coated.

If they are all DLC coated, 52100 or M4 would be my choices, since they both sharpen very nicely.
:unicorn
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Any of them(!), but the high toughness options are especially appealing for this workhorse. DLC coating is a plus if it is one of the more reactive steels.

Love to see a Manix XL thread. This knife doesn't get the attention it deserves among those of us who will buy a big folder. It is Spyderco's best value knife imo.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I voted Cruwear, 52100 and REX45. I'd prefer satin or a light stonewash but depending on the color of the handle I could go with DLC.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Wow, no dominant winner yet.
Justin
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

It all depends where you live. In Northern Canada the planes here are classed as a desert, so nothing ever rusts. So I'd vote for any kind of carbon steel, just to try it. People in the south will likely want something stainless.... I think you need 2 options.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

CanaBrit wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:40 pm
It all depends where you live. In Northern Canada the planes here are classed as a desert, so nothing ever rusts. So I'd vote for any kind of carbon steel, just to try it. People in the south will likely want something stainless.... I think you need 2 options.

Im in the south and I want carbon steel. :) And there has already been an S30V and S90V so we need two carbon steels to even things out. :D A burnt orange DLC rex45 would be another one Id be all over. DLC would look amazing with that burnt orange!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd be into most of them actually.

But V4E is head and shoulders above the rest for a big knife like that.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:20 pm
I'd be into most of them actually.

But V4E is head and shoulders above the rest for a big knife like that.

It is in the lead at the moment. Hopefully some decision makers at Spyderco and dealers are taking notes. Lots of people waiting for something like this to come along. A big beefy folder in a steel like V4E. I can see something like a khaki or brown G10 and DLC V4E being a big hit.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I voted CruWear, 52100, and M4. My preferred of would be LC200n but CruWear is a close second.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm wondering if most people aren't reading the full post about how you should pick ALL of the ones you would buy (I literally chose 7 of the 9) if it were the next exclusive or sprint. Again, I'm not saying I would buy all 7 of these if they were all available, but if the next Manix 2 XL were in any of these 7 steels I chose, I would buy one.

That said, I would love to hear from someone who would buy a Cruwear Manix 2 XL, but wouldn't buy one in 4V or V4E if that was the next sprint? What is the defining characteristic of Cruwear that makes it better for your needs than V4E? What is it about V4E that is a deal breaker for you? I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I would think that most people who love Cruwear would be happy with a V4E or 4V blade if that ended up being the next exclusive.

I honestly would rather see V4E as it would be something new to try out and it would be unique in the knife world as the only production folder in V4E. Cruwear is fantastic and I would buy one in a heartbeat (CRUWEAR NATION!), but we've seen I think 6 releases in Cruwear now, and the Shaman is coming, so V4E would shake things up while still appealing to most people who love Cruwear. I think it would help sales as well as a lot of people seem to want to try new steels and/or only want to own one of each steel.
vivi

Post by vivi »

What are the advantages of V4E? On paper it doesn't seem terribly exotic compared to some of the other choices.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I didn't vote 4v or v4e but voted cruwear. Literally all I based this on is my experience with cruwear. I'd buy 3v or 4v but I've only used 3v and cruwear. I know I love cruwear and will buy any new knife in it. As far as 4v goes, I'll buy a knife in it to try it but I won't jump hoops for the manix xl model just because I haven't tried the steel. Make a 4v native lw or g10 and I'll buy one without thinking.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:18 pm
What are the advantages of V4E? On paper it doesn't seem terribly exotic compared to some of the other choices.

Thats kind of my point. If you like Cruwear, M4, and other carbon steels I would think you would like 4V/V4E. It had been described as the love child of 3V and M4. 2nd in toughness to 3V, but more wear resistant than Cruwear and 3V and almost as much as M4. Less corrosion prone than M4, but more than Cruwear. Harder to Sharpen than 3V, but less than M4. Might be dissimilar enough to like one and not the other if you have very specific needs. Im just interested in hearing opinions on why people like one carbon tool steel but wouldnt buy another similar yet slightly different one.

And variety is the spice of life as they say!
vivi

Post by vivi »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:15 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:18 pm

Thats kind of my point. If you like Cruwear, M4, and other carbon steels I would think you would like 4V/V4E. It had been described as the love child of 3V and M4. 2nd in toughness to 3V, but more wear resistant than Cruwear and 3V and almost as much as M4. Less corrosion prone than M4, but more than Cruwear. Harder to Sharpen than 3V, but less than M4. Might be dissimilar enough to like one and not the other if you have very specific needs. Im just interested in hearing opinions on why people like one carbon tool steel but wouldnt buy another similar yet slightly different one.

And variety is the spice of life as they say!
I'm not opposed to the steel (Given it's DLC coated), I was just curious what benefits it would offer to steels I have experience with like M4. Your response was very informative. Thank you.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don’t have an opinion here, but i would like to. is there a thread or a graphic somewhere that ranks steels by different attributes, such as toughness, edge retention, and corrosion resistance? it would be really helpful to have something like that consolidated into one place.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:24 pm
i don’t have an opinion here, but i would like to. is there a thread or a graphic somewhere that ranks steels by different attributes, such as toughness, edge retention, and corrosion resistance? it would be really helpful to have something like that consolidated into one place.
I know www.zknives.com has the ability to let you compare compositions of different steels. It requires some knowledge of how the different elements affect blade steels to gain much from it though. From what I've gathered carbon aids edge retention but brings down corrosion resistance, vanadium adds high hardness carbides, chromium increases corrosion resistance, etc.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Of course, a couple hours after I open my mouth cruwear takes the lead. Im surprised there isnt more heavy/large knives made of cruwear.
Justin
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

crazywednesday wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:21 am
Of course, a couple hours after I open my mouth cruwear takes the lead. Im surprised there isnt more heavy/large knives made of cruwear.

I agree. Cruwear seems like the natural choice for the Manix XL, Shaman, upcoming Native Chief, Military, etc. Really all of the Golden models would be great with it. I would love to see Cruwear (or V4E or 4V) designated as a production steel for golden models the way S110V was and Maxamet was supposed to be.

Since Maxamet now seems unlikely to hit full production perhaps there is room in the lineup for Cruwear to take its spot as a full production steel? I imagine it would do better than Maxamet as a production steel with the much lower price point, reputation for being a tough hard use steel, surprisingly high stain resistance, and cult-luke following (CRUWEAR NATION!!). Id love to see DLC as an option for production Cruwear blades as well. Especially with dark grey G10.