Poll: Preferred steel choice(s) for a Manix 2 XL Sprint or Exclusive?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which of these steels would you buy a Manix 2 XL Sprint/Exclusive in?

CPM-3V
10%
CPM-4V (or Vanadis 4 Extra aka V4E)
15%
CPM-CRUWEAR
15%
CPM Rex 45
14%
6%
CPM-M4
11%
Maxamet
7%
S110V
3%
M390
11%
Would NOT buy a Manix 2 XL in any steel...not for me
9%

Total votes: 228

Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Poll: Preferred steel choice(s) for a Manix 2 XL Sprint or Exclusive?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Mattysc42 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:28 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:41 pm
Mattysc42 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:24 pm
While I’m not against a sprint in cruwear or 3v, they don’t offer anything s30v doesn’t for me. I’d prefer to see a sprint in something more wear resistant first, like 4v, m4, or an a11 class steel.
Hmmm this has not been my experience at all.

M4 more wear resistant than Cruwear? S30V in the same class as Cruwear? Not in the brand New Militaries I have had each with factory fresh blades.

So far Cruwear is outlasting both of those steels and neither of them were anywhere near as as sharp. The next closest I have noticed to Cruwear has been CTS-XHP followed by M4.

It would be neat to explore 4V from some of the recent posts I have read.
Are you sure you’re sharpening them properly without leaving a negative burr? S30v, xhp and cruwear are all nearly identical when cutting gritty abrasives when fully apexed, though cruwear and xhp are easier to debur. None of them will cut more than a few hundred feet of gritty industrial cardboard before being completely dull, and last less than an hour of work for me. M4 lasts around 4.5 hours, and 10v and zdp last a day, and maxamet lasts 2. All at 15dps, and treetopping sharp to start.
“Factory fresh blades” comparison is pre sharpening. Also not working in an industrial environment just everyday usage packing boxes some double walled stuff mostly single wall,plastics used in packaging opening, some food prep. The thing I am looking for is continued razor sharpness through paper to see which is holding better.

Yes for my usage if you get right down to actual need any steel will do and so will a Victoronix pocket knife but the superior cutting steel that holds a truly sharp edge longer and is easy to touch up is what I prefer not need, so I buy Spydercos.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote: ...
Oops. Yeah, I missed the factory fresh part. That said, I’ve never had lasting results with any factory edge.

The best I had was my maxamet native, but even that dulled several times faster than the edges I put on my knives.

Even so, if the edge has a clean apex, and no burr or excessively stressed steel, the loss of razor sharpness happens in a smooth curve while cutting. If the sharpness drops suddenly when you haven’t impacted something like glass or steel, you have either bad heat treatment, or bad sharpening. Edge chipping when not prying with a knife is nearly always a result of poor sharpening techniques, except in extremely high carbide steels impacting hard surfaces.

Higher carbide volume steels will lose razor sharpness slower than lower carbide steels, which is why zdp holds a razor edge longer than any production steel short of maxamet, though carbide type and finish can have a large effect as well depending on what’s being cut.

For most cutting applications, Xhp will be razor sharp longer than s30v, which will hold razor sharpness longer than cruwear. Cruwear will be easier to bring back to peak sharpness.

Of course, if any of the steel gurus and master knife makers believe I’m wrong, by all means, please chime in (larrin, xplorer, and BBB I’m looking at you ;) ). I’m always happy to learn. Most of this post is based on a couple thousand hours of sharpening practice and experimentation on a wide variety of steels I’ve had in the last five years or so, and research into steels in general. However, I’m not a professional metallurgist.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Mattysc42 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:03 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote: ...
Oops. Yeah, I missed the factory fresh part. That said, I’ve never had lasting results with any factory edge.

The best I had was my maxamet native, but even that dulled several times faster than the edges I put on my knives.

Even so, if the edge has a clean apex, and no burr or excessively stressed steel, the loss of razor sharpness happens in a smooth curve while cutting. If the sharpness drops suddenly when you haven’t impacted something like glass or steel, you have either bad heat treatment, or bad sharpening. Edge chipping when not prying with a knife is nearly always a result of poor sharpening techniques, except in extremely high carbide steels impacting hard surfaces.

Higher carbide volume steels will lose razor sharpness slower than lower carbide steels, which is why zdp holds a razor edge longer than any production steel short of maxamet, though carbide type and finish can have a large effect as well depending on what’s being cut.

For most cutting applications, Xhp will be razor sharp longer than s30v, which will hold razor sharpness longer than cruwear. Cruwear will be easier to bring back to peak sharpness.

Of course, if any of the steel gurus and master knife makers believe I’m wrong, by all means, please chime in (larrin, xplorer, and BBB I’m looking at you ;) ). I’m always happy to learn. Most of this post is based on a couple thousand hours of sharpening practice and experimentation on a wide variety of steels I’ve had in the last five years or so, and research into steels in general. However, I’m not a professional metallurgist.
:) Thanks more info is always welcome and I learned a few things from this post. Much Appreciated.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I was just day dreaming about a 3V/4V DLC Manix 2 XL with coyote or OD green scales and was thinking of making a thread about it, and lo and behold I found this thread where 4V/V4E are the most prefered too! Instead of making a new thread I thought I'd just revive this one to voice my interest as well in a tough, DLC Manix 2 XL as a sprint run from Spyderco. It would be one heck of an outdoors folder.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

St Nick's needs to give the Manix (both standard and XL) their red G10/DLC 4v treatment.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I voted 4V, V4E, and Maxamet, but, truth be told, I’m quite happy with my S90V and would prefer these suggested steels in other models.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ferider

Post by ferider »

Ez556 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:12 am
I was just day dreaming about a 3V/4V DLC Manix 2 XL with coyote or OD green scales and was thinking of making a thread about it, and lo and behold I found this thread where 4V/V4E are the most prefered too! Instead of making a new thread I thought I'd just revive this one to voice my interest as well in a tough, DLC Manix 2 XL as a sprint run from Spyderco. It would be one heck of an outdoors folder.
Thanks for reviving the thread ! There is a Manix XL sprint request every couple of weeks on this forum, but unfortunately the Spyderco gods stay silent.

To be honest, I'd buy an XL in any of the above steels, except 52100, M390 and S110V (last two too similar to my S90V).

I'd buy a K390 version too. Just saying :)
jdw

Post by jdw »

I wish that Spyderco would make another run of S90V. I love the platform, it's my preferred stainless, and I missed out on the first time around. REX45 would be good by me with scales in any color but orange.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd give S90V another shot if they ran the XL in it. I missed the original run and I've never seen one cheaper than $300.
:unicorn
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Heck, just run it in blurple/s110v like most of the other full sized Golden folders and people will be rejoice. We need more variety!
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:31 am
St Nick's needs to give the Manix (both standard and XL) their red G10/DLC 4v treatment.
I'd definitely take the standard M2 in the St Nick's sprint, and would probably get the XL too, but I'd rather have the XL in K390, M-4, or satin 4V with some kind of OD green or brown G-10.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think 4v is almost the ideal steel for the XL, at least for my uses.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The 4V toughness would probably be best for my uses too, and I would definitely try for a St Nick's sprint if that happens to be the next XL available.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I think I'd be in for an XL-Sprint :D Try something new.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

A 4v xl would be something I want enough to pay flipper pricing for if I screwed up enough to miss it on release like I did the 4v shaman.

Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Mattysc42 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:17 am
Heck, just run it in blurple/s110v like most of the other full sized Golden folders and people will be rejoice. We need more variety!
That’s the reason I DON’T wanna see S110V... variety! Everything else is available in the same few steels... S30V, S110V, Maxamet... I wanna see specific models get specific steels to complement the model. Cruwear and Micarta matches the Shaman perfectly. I think 4V would be a perfect match for the Manix 2 XL. It’s a big, beefy working knife and it deserves a tough working steel!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

I guess this one doesnt get a lot of love because of sales, but I bet some cruwear and gray g10 would make it fly off the shelves.
JonnyBlades

Post by JonnyBlades »

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned LC200N. I know it's generally reserved for "salt" knives, but I think it would fit an outdoor knife like the Manix 2 XL that is more likely to be exposed to the elements quite well. I would definitely pick one up anyway. I know I'm dreaming with my #1, but my top 3 steels for this knife would be:

#1 - Vanax 37
#2 - 4V
#3 - LC200N