The Importance of Spare EDC units: SE & PE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The Importance of Spare EDC units: SE & PE

Post by JD Spydo »

Well it goes without saying that I very rarely ever leave my home without at least having two of my hallowed Spyders in tow. I've even gone to great lengths to adjust the tension on the pocketclips on most of my "user Spyders" to where losing one of them due to pocketclip failure just won't happen. And I haven't lost a Spyder in almost 3 years now. When unfortunate things arise to where you are either temporarily without your favorite EDC I can't stress enough that we all very much need a supply of BACK UP UNITS just in case you are in a situation you are without an EDC.

Just the other day the spacer came apart in my M390 Miiitary so I'm going to send it back to W & R at the Great Spyder Factory to get my hallowed EDC folder some much needed medical attention :D I told that lady to do any overhaul she deemed necessary to put my M390 Military back in top condition. So while my best metal friend is at the Spyder-Emergency Room I've had to go to my "user arsenal" to select another folder to EDC while the M390 is getting much needed medical attention and part replacement. Don't know how it happened but somehow about 3 screws came undone and the spacer fell out somewhere and now I'm going to be without my best EDC for a couple of weeks I believe.

But thank the Good Lord I have a really nice selection of what I affectionately call my emergency "Back Up Units" ( BUUs) :cool: I'll probably be toting my C-60 Ayoob and/or my C-46 Lum Tanto folder for a while. I might even give my Stainless RESCUE a break and go with one of my full SE Hawkbills for a while too. This unfortunate temporary sidelining of the best EDC I've ever owned up to now has shown me how utterly important it is to have EDC BACK UP UNITS and a solid number of units in your overall EDC rotation>> and YES!!! I truly deem it a bare necessity and I urge everyone to consider the importance of having an adequate supply of Spyderco folders and fixed blades to where you NEVER are without an EDC. OK guys what do you all do to prepare for a possible dire situation like I'm experiencing right now? And how many of you agree with me and have made arrangements to keep BACK UP UNITS?
rgrad80

Re: The Importance of Spare EDC units: SE & PE

Post by rgrad80 »

I have a Tenacious that lives in my truck, a 940 in my briefcase, and a Military in my pocket. I know it’s weird, but it’s just what makes me comfortable. Not having a knife when you need one really sucks.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Lately I've been carrying my Native 5 Maxamet, but I always have my Pacific Salt clipped IWB. I used to dislike serrations, but now I feel incomplete if I don't have at least one SE blade with me. The Pacific Salt is kind of a backup to whatever I have in my right front pocket.

I've got an old Victorinox skinning knife in my truck's glove box, which I've used to dispatch road-hit deer on occasion.

I've also got an S110V Military in case something happens to my other knives, or if I feel like carrying something different. Also an Advocate, Dragonfly, and four Manbugs. I think my knife needs are covered. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
embry386

Post by embry386 »

I have backup Natives in both serrated and plainedge in case I lose my primary user ones. They live in boxes under my bed until something bad happens to the users, and then I'll take them out and make them the new users. Also I have a Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue in the car in case of needing to quickly chop my way out of a seatbelt (flash floods are common here and people sometimes die in their cars because of it). My current main EDC is an ATS-55 Rescue that was produced in the late 90s, and I love it very much and would really like to have a backup of it, but do not have the cash in my knife fund for that right now.

Various other knives I have include: more Natives (in orange), a gray Endura which makes a nice beater knife and is good for working with food, and an even older G-2 Rescue with the integral plastic clip. I'm pretty well set as far as knives go, for both serrated and plain edges. If I lost my ATS-55 Rescue I'd be sad, but not knifeless -- I'd just have to carry one of the knives I don't love as much for a while, til I could replace the Rescue.
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

I always have a Buck 620 in my car and a Para3 in my pocket. If I lose one or need to send one off to the Spyder Hospital, I have 2 more Para3s and a PM2 ready to take it's place. I also have a Resilience and Tenacious as my back up's back up but they usually stay in the knife drawer unless needed. I have a multitude of other brands of knives but other than the Buck, I will only carry Spyderco. If I ever save up for a Spyderco fixed blade then that will go in the car. :spyder:
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I've always kept at a minimum 1 multi tool in each automobile we've owned along with a fixed blade ce. Since discovering the sweetness that is Spyderco most days I keep SE and PE in pockets, one PE clipped and one SE bouncing around with my keys. Now that I have 3 children driving I've put knives in their cars as well. I keep a knife stuck to a cork board in my office, a couple on my nightstand, one in the center console of our living-room sofa and several around the garage. You know, it sounds a little weird now that I've typed that out.

C'est la vie
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've had a good edc system going lately. My work edc is either the rhino or the knifeworks exclusive 940. But in my work satchel I also carry a se tasman salt and a Polestar. In my edc pouch which is either in my satchel or my car, I have a leatherman surge and microtech ultratech. If I'm not at work, I've mostly been carrying one of my delicas and my SE wharncliffe delica. But the native lw is creeping in too.
Last edited by knivesandbooks on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:50 am
Lately I've been carrying my Native 5 Maxamet, but I always have my Pacific Salt clipped IWB. I used to dislike serrations, but now I feel incomplete if I don't have at least one SE blade with me. The Pacific Salt is kind of a backup to whatever I have in my right front pocket.

I've got an old Victorinox skinning knife in my truck's glove box, which I've used to dispatch road-hit deer on occasion.

I've also got an S110V Military in case something happens to my other knives, or if I feel like carrying something different. Also an Advocate, Dragonfly, and four Manbugs. I think my knife needs are covered. :)
Well Meat Man you've learned what I learned about 14 years ago. That Spyderco's serrations are a completely different animal all together>> and a good vicious animal at that. I equate my Stainless RESCUE SE as being a "Salt Water Crocodile" :eek: I'm sure that Brother Steve Irwin would have had one if he were still alive ( GOD rest his soul). And the concept of a "Companion Folder" to go with your main EDC does seem to be growing in popularity in the past two years or so. But with two great edge types and Spyderco blades on top of that :cool: How can you go wrong :cool: ??

Also having at least at the bare minimum 6 Spyderco folders for serious back up rotation ( and in each edge type). Sometimes I rotate just to keep from getting bored. And I rotate the PE & SE units both. And I can see that you and other Brothers are following the regimen :cool: Yeah!! Life Is Good When You Have a Spare EDC :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:56 pm
I've always kept at a minimum 1 multi tool in each automobile we've owned along with a fixed blade ce. Since discovering the sweetness that is Spyderco most days I keep SE and PE in pockets, one PE clipped and one SE bouncing around with my keys. Now that I have 3 children driving I've put knives in their cars as well. I keep a knife stuck to a cork board in my office, a couple on my nightstand, one in the center console of our living-room sofa and several around the garage. You know, it sounds a little weird now that I've typed that out
That's a great point you bring out :cool: Because when I know I'm going to have a big, demanding workday I always add one of my "multitools to my two EDC Spyders ( PE & SE) and I usually end up using all three of them. In a way I kind of wish Spyderco would take a shot at making a somewhat conventional type multi-tool. But in a way that's an "oxy-moron" because when you get right down to it there is nothing really "Conventional" so to speak about Spyderco>> which really is a good thing the more I think about it ;) But it's been a while since we had the Spyderench in the main line up. So I wish they would take a shot at trying to market another multi-tool of some sort. That would be a great project for them to do another collaboration with IMO.

And you mention a CE blade>>and there are truly legitimate uses for a CE Spyder too.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well said. My Manix XL pretty much lives in my car and the truck always has some hefty fixed blade (some monster from Ontario Knife).
My in pocket EDC is whatever knife is looking lonely that day. Lately it has been my Manix 2 in S110V, but there is a constant rotation.
What better way is there to enjoy the knives I own?

Having spares of critical tools is a great idea overall. Consider flashlights for example. The main thing there is having a bunch so I can always
find one quickly even though the ones I have roam around.

I don't yet own a SE blade. I am suspicious of them.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I forgot to mention that I always have my Leatherman Wave on my belt in addition to my Spydies. So I guess that means that I have 4 blades on me at all times: 2 serrated and 2 plain edge. And often times I will slip a Manbug into my pocket in addition to all the above, just for fun. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:42 pm

What don't you like about them?
- Connor

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tucson Tom wrote:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

:D
Not sure which is more alarming - the knife juggling or those hideous PJ's!
- Connor

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Well said. My Manix XL pretty much lives in my car and the truck always has some hefty fixed blade (some monster from Ontario Knife).
My in pocket EDC is whatever knife is looking lonely that day. Lately it has been my Manix 2 in S110V, but there is a constant rotation.

Having spares of critical tools is a great idea overall. Consider flashlights for example. The main thing there is having a bunch so I can always
find one quickly even though the ones I have roam around.

Hold Everything!!! What did you say!!??? :D Did I get that right that you just said that you don't yet own a Spyderedged blade :confused: ??? Now look "Tuscon Tom" if you weren't one of the newer guys here at Spyderville I would be screaming "BLASPHEMY"!!!! :eek: :D

Dude you ain't experienced cutting tool joy until you've gotten yourself a top notch serrated ( Spyderedged) folder or even a Spyderedged fixed blade. I guess I need to back off a bit because until I got my first SE Spyder I wasn't really that sold on most serrated blades I had experienced up to that point. But I challenge you to either get a simple VG-10 SE RESCUE model or one of the Hawkbills in SE.> i.e. preferably a SE Harpy or an SE Spyderhawk. And once you actually put one of those bad boys to a hard cutting job your fears and suspicions will be eliminated in very quick fashion I can assure you.

You just haven't experienced the joy of having a plain edge and Spyderedge for a companion blade for the ultimate EDC rotation>> because once you do you're whole attitude on cutting tools will change I can assure you :cool: Take the plunge my friend :) You won't regret it ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:03 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Bloke Ol' Buddy I bet you would have been laughing at watching the USS Titanic sink :eek: :rolleyes: Well I hope not anyway :rolleyes: :confused:

What's the ol' saying? "As funny as a razor blade in a Braille Book :eek: :eek: :D Well BLOKE ol' buddy in the next upcoming :rolleyes: election I'm going to vote for you for President so you might just as well get your US citizenship now :D
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I should try one of these serrated knives I hear so much about...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:22 pm
Bloke Ol' Buddy I bet you would have been laughing at watching the USS Titanic sink :eek: :rolleyes: Well I hope not anyway :rolleyes: :confused:

What's the ol' saying? "As funny as a razor blade in a Braille Book :eek: :eek: :D Well BLOKE ol' buddy in the next upcoming :rolleyes: election I'm going to vote for you for President so you might just as well get your US citizenship now :D
Ah, hahaha! Too funny Joe. :)

Beloved wife reckons she can take me anywhere twice ... the second time to apologise! :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:28 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Ah, hahaha! Too funny Joe. :)

Beloved wife reckons she can take me anywhere twice ... the second time to apologise! :rolleyes:
Yes Sir I'm just going to make it a point to head down to Sydney in the next year or so>> Ol' Buddy you just let me know when they might be having a big knife show down there. Maybe we can rent of couple of Jet Skis and go check out ANTARCTICA :cool: I definitely want to find out what really is going on down there. I just found out 4 more big names that have gone down there recently :confused: >> it will probably only take about 110 hours to get there on a Jet Ski :rolleyes:

Who knows we might just become the new rendition of the "Blues Brothers" :cool: & :cool:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I always carry a backup of sorts, and since I carry a Multitool and a SAK every day apart form my Spyderco blade(s), I have all kinds of implements for secondary or alternate uses. :cool:

When carrying two folding knives, I also try to have bot a PE and SE with me,
so usually it's a SE Spyderco paired with a PE from other brands, or viceversa :o

moreover I try to pair a straight blade or slightly curved one with a hawkbill, or very curved blade (Reverse S, recurves, etc.) to have even more capability, as the SAK blade is good enough for an "all around" shape :spyder: