The Importance of Spare EDC units: SE & PE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: The Importance of Spare EDC units: SE & PE

Post by Evil D »

Two is one, one is none. I never leave the house without a spare, usually in my EDC bag.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I have 3 h1 Spyderhawk back ups. They aren't the most popular models and if I lose one I don't want to pay upwards of $200 for a replacement. I have a back up Kris again too so that's a relief. I have several knives that are redundant but i carry mostly sprints or discontinued models.

Nothing wrong with buying spares if you can afford it.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

JD, if you and Bloke head to Antarctica on jet skis, you will soon be the Blue Brothers.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:34 am
I always carry a backup of sorts, and since I carry a Multitool and a SAK every day apart form my Spyderco blade(s), I have all kinds of implements for secondary or alternate uses. :cool:

When carrying two folding knives, I also try to have bot a PE and SE with me,
so usually it's a SE Spyderco paired with a PE from other brands, or viceversa :o

moreover I try to pair a straight blade or slightly curved one with a hawkbill, or very curved blade (Reverse S, recurves, etc.) to have even more capability, as the SAK blade is good enough for an "all around" shape :spyder:
PEACENT my good Brother as many BUUs as you have I really believe you should actually have been the one to have started this thread. Because you are even a much superior example of the implementation of "Back Up Units" than even I am>> and keep in mind I've been at this game for a while too :D . Not only do you have Back Up Units you even have BUUs of each and every variant you own :cool: And I just knew in my gut that you would chime in sooner rather than later :cool:

But seriously folks even if any of you all are not ever faced with any kind of emergency situation it's still very advantageous to have Back Up Units of your most important tools but especially of Knives and high end Flashlights. I've just recently acquired two new Surefire flashlights which is another addiction I've been blessed with. I guess you could say that I'm a "Selective Pack Rat">> Hey how about that!!! I just coined a new term "SELECTIVE PACK RAT" :cool: Actually any prepper type person should strive to be a "SELECTIVE PACK RAT" :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:41 am
JD, if you and Bloke head to Antarctica on jet skis, you will soon be the Blue Brothers.
Well Brother the only response I've got to that is "BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR" :eek: :D Just the mere thought of BLOKE & Myself dressing up like Jake & Elwood and riding jet skis to Antarctica is a scary one indeed :D Gee I seem to remember in that old Movie of the Blues Brothers they always talked about and made reference to a "Penguin" :rolleyes: What a twisted irony :D

That old Nun beat those guys like very disobedient step-children :D I sure hope that is not the reception we get when we step on the shores of the "Land Of ICE" :eek: Hmmm?? I wonder if she was an Emperor Penguin :rolleyes:
Caustic Dick

Post by Caustic Dick »

rgrad80 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:28 am
I have a Tenacious that lives in my truck, a 940 in my briefcase, and a Military in my pocket. I know it’s weird, but it’s just what makes me comfortable. Not having a knife when you need one really sucks.
That's for sure.
Don't get bit by your Spyderco........
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:15 am
I have 3 h1 Spyderhawk back ups. They aren't the most popular models and if I lose one I don't want to pay upwards of $200 for a replacement. I have a back up Kris again too so that's a relief. I have several knives that are redundant but i carry mostly sprints or discontinued models.

Nothing wrong with buying spares if you can afford it.
Now if money is a problem a guy may have to get out some of his/her old hardware as a back up unit ( BUU). Hey if you're down to the BUCK 110 you carried during your high school days>> well that's a whole lot better than not having a back up at all. But I'm like you VASH I even make sacrifices to get a back up Spyders for every premium EDC in my current rotation.

But please don't misunderstand that I believe that only Spyderco or other ultra-modern, high end knives are the only valid back up units. No not at all>> by all means keep your old Bucks, Ka-bars, CASE and Schrade and Keen Kutter until you can afford some better back up units. Sometimes these sentimental buggy whip era blades might just end up being your best friend during an unexpected hard time.

But to not try to build up your user arsenal when you can do it>> well then you are only hurting yourself IMO. I'm even currently looking for a serious back up unit for one of my valued Multi-tools and it looks like I might just have to buy a new one>> but whatever it takes to be prepared then that's the course a guy should follow IMO.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I think having backups is a great idea. Back ups to the backups? Carrying 3 blades and having backup backups for all 3? Not to mention spares and surplus and special use blades? Sounds perfectly normal, nothing to see here, move along now. 😉
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I'm with you Peacent and JD, it is very important to have at least two on you, if possible or desired. How about this idea? Have a more general purpose in plain edge and a Spyderco hawkbill like a Tasman Salt or other in serrated edge? What do you think of that?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:17 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:42 pm
Well said. My Manix XL pretty much lives in my car and the truck always has some hefty fixed blade (some monster from Ontario Knife).
My in pocket EDC is whatever knife is looking lonely that day. Lately it has been my Manix 2 in S110V, but there is a constant rotation.
What better way is there to enjoy the knives I own?

Having spares of critical tools is a great idea overall. Consider flashlights for example. The main thing there is having a bunch so I can always
find one quickly even though the ones I have roam around.

I don't yet own a SE blade. I am suspicious of them.
Hold Everything!!! What did you say!!??? :D Did I get that right that you just said that you don't yet own a Spyderedged blade :confused: ??? Now look "Tuscon Tom" if you weren't one of the newer guys here at Spyderville I would be screaming "BLASPHEMY"!!!! :eek: :D

Dude you ain't experienced cutting tool joy until you've gotten yourself a top notch serrated ( Spyderedged) folder or even a Spyderedged fixed blade.
I am still laughing too hard after seeing the blade juggling act in pajamas.

But as for SE blades, yes, I may have made a BIG mistake when I bought my Pacific Salt in PE, that was my golden chance to try a SE blade and maybe I blew it. I especially think so after I read that H1 really comes into its own with a SE treatment. Don't give up on me or excommunicate me yet. I should consider getting something like a civilian or matriarch perhaps, or one of the hawkbill style blades. A jumpmaster might be just the thing to break into SE.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Well, I’m not into backup knives. Life is too short. If I lose a favorite Spyderco then I plan to replace it with another, perhaps newer, perhaps better.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Well I only have four spyders so far, but I have been meaning to pic up a duplicate delica just to have one in another handle color... What I'd also like is a second para3 as Iove that thing now but am still careful of it as it was kinda costly...

Trying to save up for a new knife is kinda difficult when you realize you really want two of most lol.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:33 pm
I'm with you Peacent and JD, it is very important to have at least two on you, if possible or desired. How about this idea? Have a more general purpose in plain edge and a Spyderco hawkbill like a Tasman Salt or other in serrated edge? What do you think of that?
You know I've been preaching the GOSPEL of having a companion folder to go with your main EDC folder for quite some time now. Sure!! having spare blades of any type I feel is a very wise game plan. But I never leave this house each day unless I have a full PE blade and a full SE blade folders in my pockets before I venture out the door.

Now your specific question of having a Spyderedged Hawkbill to more or less back up everything is not really a bad idea at all. As small as the TASMAN model is I would say that's one model you could even hide easily. For all of us who are wise to the importance of carrying your pocketknives on a daily basis it just goes without saying that you are really putting yourself behind the 8-Ball so to speak if you leave home without the right hardware.

Previous generations of farmers and most of the men in my dad's generation were guys I never seen without a pocket knife. Also most of these guys of those generations even had a lot of tools in their cars too. I literally feel somewhat naked when I don't have my Spyderco folders on me.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:14 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
You know I've been preaching the GOSPEL of having a companion folder to go with your main EDC folder for quite some time now. Sure!! having spare blades of any type I feel is a very wise game plan. But I never leave this house each day unless I have a full PE blade and a full SE blade folders in my pockets before I venture out the door.

Now your specific question of having a Spyderedged Hawkbill to more or less back up everything is not really a bad idea at all. As small as the TASMAN model is I would say that's one model you could even hide easily. For all of us who are wise to the importance of carrying your pocketknives on a daily basis it just goes without saying that you are really putting yourself behind the 8-Ball so to speak if you leave home without the right hardware.

Previous generations of farmers and most of the men in my dad's generation were guys I never seen without a pocket knife. Also most of these guys of those generations even had a lot of tools in their cars too. I literally feel somewhat naked when I don't have my Spyderco folders on me.
For me, the main EDC is serrated and the backup that I only carry sometimes is plainedged. (ATS-55 Rescue, Native 5)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

embry386 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:49 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

For me, the main EDC is serrated and the backup that I only carry sometimes is plainedged. (ATS-55 Rescue, Native 5)
Hey that's A-OK Embry because I've got two good friends that don't even carry a plain edged blade at all. All they carry are Spyderedged blades period. I've got one buddy I've known for years whose main EDC is a full Spyderedged POLICE model and he's been carrying that folder for at least 5 years that I know of.

What I could suggest in that scenario would be to have a conventional type SE folder along with an SE Hawkbill folder>> or you could even have a small fixed blade for a companion blade>> heck the Jumpmaster kind of comes to mind. I sure wish they would do the STREETBEAT in SE.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:02 am
embry386 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:49 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

Hey that's A-OK Embry because I've got two good friends that don't even carry a plain edged blade at all. All they carry are Spyderedged blades period. I've got one buddy I've known for years whose main EDC is a full Spyderedged POLICE model and he's been carrying that folder for at least 5 years that I know of.

What I could suggest in that scenario would be to have a conventional type SE folder along with an SE Hawkbill folder>> or you could even have a small fixed blade for a companion blade>> heck the Jumpmaster kind of comes to mind. I sure wish they would do the STREETBEAT in SE.
That's cool about your spyderedged-Police friend. Does he use the all-stainless one? That's a real awesome-looking knife, I'd like the chance to get to hold one someday. So many teeth!

Hawkbills look really cool, but I'm wondering how much they'd really offer me in terms of utility when I already have the Rescue? The main point of them seems to be that the material you're cutting won't slip off the belly of the blade the way it would with a traditionally-shaped knife, and the serrations are great for cutting fibrous materials -- but my Rescue already works pretty well in both those areas, having no belly for things to slip off of and plenty of teeth to bite through fibrous stuff. And the plainedged Native I find handy in the few situations that require a real clean cut, or in which a flat-ground thing would slice better (cardboard mostly). But what would a hawkbill do for me?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

No Embry actually the one he carries is one of the second generation G-10 models. But all of the POLICE models are cool in my humble opinion. A Stainless handled, ATS-55 POLICE model is one that I cut my early SE teeth with. I used to have a Carbon Fiber POLICE model in the 2004 era and I even had a left-handed CF POLICE too. I truly wish I would have kept both the CF POLICE and the CF HARPY. I even had 3 of those CF Harpy models and like an idiot I traded all of them :o

But no matter which SE POLICE model you could get you just can't go wrong with that model. Now if blade length is a problem in that state or country you live in then I would say to go with one of the early SE ROOKIE models.

If you or anyone else reading this is strictly carries a Spyderedged blade for your main EDC then I would always suggest having another type or design of a Spyderedged blade for your Back UP UNIT. No matter what you EDC there is always an ideal Back Up Unit that can be used.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

for those talking about a full sized PE + a SE hawkbill or a SE Fixed bade like the Jumpmaster,
you're not creating anything new... :p

picture from June and July

add the functionality of pliers, drivers and scissors, and you're set :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PEACENT that JUMPMASTER is truly a beast. The one I test drove was a real gator of a blade for sure. We've just got to have more Spyderedged fixed blades. They have such a nice, broad range selection of fixed blades but they have so few in SE. So having a back up SE fixed blade is going to be somewhat of a problem. I hope those decision makers at the factory are reading this one.

And the sad thing about it is most of your survival type magazines prefer fixed blades over folders as a general rule. Probably a really good reason to do at least a Sprint Run of the TEMP 1 in SE & PE both.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:09 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:41 am
Well Brother the only response I've got to that is "BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR" :eek: :D Just the mere thought of BLOKE & Myself dressing up like Jake & Elwood and riding jet skis to Antarctica is a scary one indeed :D Gee I seem to remember in that old Movie of the Blues Brothers they always talked about and made reference to a "Penguin" :rolleyes: What a twisted irony :D

That old Nun beat those guys like very disobedient step-children :D I sure hope that is not the reception we get when we step on the shores of the "Land Of ICE" :eek: Hmmm?? I wonder if she was an Emperor Penguin :rolleyes:
Sorry I’ve been late to reply brothers. :o

I’ve been training. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin