Early model Endura pivot point/disassembly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bdcochran

Early model Endura pivot point/disassembly

Post by bdcochran »

I have an early model Endura. I think that there is some crude on the pivot point and I want to loosen the screw near the pivot point. Please note that the model does not have a screw head on either side of the pinned screws. This means it is not like later model Enduras wherein you can use proper screwdriver or wrench. I tried the usual vinegar treatment/hot water/ silicon lubes/flattened q-tips. Just tough opening at the pivot point. Any constructive suggestions?
StuntZombie

Re: Early model Endura pivot point/disassembly

Post by StuntZombie »

The older models are riveted, so there's no way to disassemble them without destroying the knife. Have you tried using pressurized air? Can you see any crud in the pivot? The times I had a sticky pivot on the older models, I put a dab of dish soap in the pivot, worked the blade back and forth, then held it under running hot water while working the blade again. Dry it off well,then just use a drop of oil of your choice.

If that doesn't work, you could always send it in to Spyderco, and they could have a look at it.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Flush it out with copeus amounts of oil while working it maybe.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I usually get a gallon pitcher from the kitchen and put in a couple drops of soap then fill with the hottest water I can stand to put my hand in. Then I put the blade under water and open and close it. Then when done blow out the pivot with air compressor. Do this maybe 2-3 times if it's really stuck.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

thank you all for the suggestions. yes, I do have an air compressor and will try it today if time permits.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

1. Thank you all for the suggestions. Yes it is pinned.
2. I tried the hot water/soap routine. Now I will try what I call the baking soda/vinegar/salt routine. Usually, I do an isopropyl dip with flattened q-tips. The hot water/liquid soap approach got out some more dirt.