Spyderco's ATS-55 Era: A Really Noteworthy Time In Spyderco History

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
embry386

Re: Spyderco's ATS-55 Era: A Really Noteworthy Time In Spyderco History

Post by embry386 »

I recently picked up the FRN version of the ATS-55 Rescue, and it's been my EDC since I got it. I love this thing. It's beautiful, and the handle in particular is impressive -- so ergonomic. Wish it was flat-ground, but that's easy enough to fix, maybe I'll send it off for a regrind one of these days. It came new in box with all the original paperwork, which was cool also, and I think it came with the sharpest edge of any of my knives. Bit me a few times and I didn't even notice til I saw the blood. Have a review mostly written up, but am being lazy about taking photos right now, will get around to posting it sometime later. :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

embry386 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:22 pm
I recently picked up the FRN version of the ATS-55 Rescue, and it's been my EDC since I got it. I love this thing. It's beautiful, and the handle in particular is impressive -- so ergonomic. Wish it was flat-ground, but that's easy enough to fix, maybe I'll send it off for a regrind one of these days. It came new in box with all the original paperwork, which was cool also, and I think it came with the sharpest edge of any of my knives. Bit me a few times and I didn't even notice til I saw the blood. Have a review mostly written up, but am being lazy about taking photos right now, will get around to posting it sometime later. :spyder:
If you think that FRN version of the ATS-55 RESCUE is nice then I challenge you to check out the somewhat rare ATS-55 stainless handled RESCUE. Even if you're not a big fan of stainless handled folders I can assure you that the Stainless RESCUE from the ATS-55 era is not your ordinary stainless handled folder. The sheepsfoot ATS-55 blade on that Stainless RESCUE is like having a Salt Water Crododile in one hand :cool: If you like that FRN version of the ATS-55 RESCUE model you are going to absolutely love the stainless version in that great series of blades.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:23 am
embry386 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:22 pm
If you think that FRN version of the ATS-55 RESCUE is nice then I challenge you to check out the somewhat rare ATS-55 stainless handled RESCUE. Even if you're not a big fan of stainless handled folders I can assure you that the Stainless RESCUE from the ATS-55 era is not your ordinary stainless handled folder. The sheepsfoot ATS-55 blade on that Stainless RESCUE is like having a Salt Water Crododile in one hand :cool: If you like that FRN version of the ATS-55 RESCUE model you are going to absolutely love the stainless version in that great series of blades.
I'm sure it's an awesome knife, but I'm happy with the crocodile I already have :) I'm not a fan of solid metal handles, I really like super lightweight knives and the extra weight would bother me a lot. Plus I like the balance on this one. If I do decide to get a stainless knife sometime in the future I'll keep that one in mind though. :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Rhodie wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:15 am
Have a Older Endura with ATS-55 Blade Steel purchased back in 2000.
Yeah even the Delica & Endura models were great with ATS-55>> especially the Spyderedged versions :cool: Because let it be known to the world that ATS-55 was truly a premium blade steel for serrated/Spyderedged knives. I kind of wished they would have also done a set of TEMPERANCE 1 models in ATS-55 ( SE & PE). Because that TEMP 1 was a "mega-beast" in Spyderedge which is why I'll never let either one of mine go.

Now to put this all in perspective there was some great Spyder models emerge during that era that didn't have ATS-55 but they were still in that era. Because that was the inception of the C-54 big Calypso and I believe that might have been the very first folder in VG-10 if my memory isn't short circuited :rolleyes: Because I'm pretty sure that the MORAN was the first fixed blade model in VG-10 as well.

I kind of found it interesting that they didnt' do a fixed blade in ATS-55. But I guess that Sal was anxious to get VG-10 launched and I can't say as I blame him one bit because VG-10 has been a big winner for Spyderco all the way around. Also I believe that the first two Caly Jrs. were launched during that era as well. But for some unbeknownst reason they did those in AUS-8>> but they were still great models to emerge from the ATS-55 era.
kollektorG5

Post by kollektorG5 »

So i own this ATS-55 police unserrated edge stainless silver knife since a long time and i wanted to know how muc hit is worth today.

Also sorry for my bad english im swiss.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-28 at 03.12.16.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-28 at 03.12.16 (1).jpeg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kollektorG5 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:13 pm
So i own this ATS-55 police unserrated edge stainless silver knife since a long time and i wanted to know how muc hit is worth today.

Also sorry for my bad english im swiss.
Yeah I had an ATS-55 POLICE model once myself. I do find it amazing how many people I've talked to over in Europe that just adore the Spyderco POLICE model. It would most definitely be a good all around user in any blade steel. But again the ATS-55 era really catapulted a lot of those mainline Spyderco models.

I've thought for a long time that the Spyderco MERLIN model would be a great one to bring back. It was a key Hawkbill model that got launched in the ATS-55 era. Also it was the ATS-55 era that really broadened Spyderco's selection of models that we really see blooming to this very day IMO.
RLR

Post by RLR »

Love ATS55

Dyad Jr and Rookie are still in rotation.
2F3CF5A0-9BC4-486E-AC7A-097C1EE151EA.jpeg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RLR wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:27 pm
Love ATS55

Dyad Jr and Rookie are still in rotation. 2F3CF5A0-9BC4-486E-AC7A-097C1EE151EA.jpeg
Those are two great older models from the ATS-55 era. That era was truly a time period where Spyderco expanded their product line. Models like the C-44 Dyad and C-39 Dyad Jr were pretty much exclusive to the ATS-55 era. I believe the ROOKIE model you displayed was probably the most perfect EDC folder Spyderco ever made that most of the public would have liked. The biggest expansion of Spyderco's main product line seemed to have taken place in the ATS-55 era.
I know that Mr. Glesser has said a few times that they tested ATS-55 against VG-10 and found the latter to be better. But from my own standpoint I truly like both them about the same. I've kept and still use a few of my ATS-55 Spyders and doubt if I ever get rid of any of them. For serrated blades it's been one of my top 5 favorite blade steels for some time now.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

This thread deserves more pics. These are two of my most treasured spydies. It took me years of hunting-browsing the web to get them. I only wish Spyderco bring back the pointy hollow ground Delica/Endura.

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Outlaw Pete

Post by Outlaw Pete »

Great thread.
I’m fond of this era too. The late 90’s saw a huge jump in quality and materials used.
I had a Police model in ATS55. Not a bad steel but it never overly impressed me. I found it a little soft. It did however start the quest for better steels.
When 440V appeared in the Military models I was blown away. It took edge performance to a new level if you took the time to sharpen it properly. They just keep on cutting. A ***** to grind though from what I hear which might explain some of the non symmetrical blade grinds on the C36 on occasion.
Kudos to Sal and the team for continuing to push the envelope and experimenting with new steels.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

And thank you for the extra pics. As time goes by I tend to appreciate the ATS-55 era of Spyderco's history more and more. There were so many pivotal changes that took place in that era of production. That particular era really set a new direction for Spyderco at that time and I do believe we're still seeing a lot of the positive results of it to this very day.

In that time slot I often refer to as the GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERs ( 1998-2004) which includes the ATS-55 era>> I still believe that more super-classics came out of that era than in any other time period in the history of Spyderco's most interesting development. I'm impressed at how many people this many years later also seem to like the ATS-55 Spyders just as good as I do.
FK

Post by FK »

JD Spydo,

Thanks for the thread, I just purchased a NIB Rescue FRN with ATS-55 blade.

I am planning a informal test of serrated edge Spyderco knives with various steels in the near future.
Any suggestions on medium and when to stop cutting (how to determine if serrations are dull relative to other test knives).

To date I have as follows:
CPM 440V
Gin-1/G2
AUS-6
ATS-55
VG-10
CPM-S30V
H-1
MBS-26

Will obtain soon:
LC200N
BD1N

Regards,
FK
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

FK wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:33 am
JD Spydo,

Thanks for the thread, I just purchased a NIB Rescue FRN with ATS-55 blade.

I am planning a informal test of serrated edge Spyderco knives with various steels in the near future.
Any suggestions on medium and when to stop cutting (how to determine if serrations are dull relative to other test knives).

To date I have as follows:
CPM 440V
Gin-1/G2
AUS-6
ATS-55
VG-10
CPM-S30V
H-1
MBS-26

Will obtain soon:
LC200N
BD1N

Regards,
FK
Hey thanks for the "heads up" and the information you're sharing with us "FK" :) I'll say it again because I would never turn down a trade for an ATS-55 Spyder with a serrated edge. Because I still think after all these years ATS-55 is still one of my very favorite steels for serrated/Spyderedges.

And ATS-55 is also a very respectable and under-rated steel for plain edges as well. Especially the blade style on the plain edged blade on the C-44 Dyad. That blade truly cuts like a laser when properly sharpened. It's nice for everyone to know that ATS-55 is not an antiquated blade steel at all.
Kloeshuman

Post by Kloeshuman »

Just Picked up a ATS-55 Delica yesterday....lets get this post moving again
Red

Post by Red »

Very cool thread, learned alot.
👍
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kloeshuman wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:30 am
Just Picked up a ATS-55 Delica yesterday....lets get this post moving again
Is your ATS-55 Delica PE or SE? I've thought for some time that ATS-55 is far from being the worst blade steel Spyderco ever used. As of this writing I don't know of any other knife company that used ATS-55 in their product line.

As I've said before I would never turn down a trade or acquisition on an older Spyder with ATS-55 blade steel.

Thanks for posting that "Kloeshuman" and "Welcome To The Forum" by the way :) >> because it's been a while since I've talked to anyone recently that has snagged an ATS-55 Spyder.
Kloeshuman

Post by Kloeshuman »

Pe or Se? IT is SE trying to post a pic but I cant seem to resize so IT works
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kloeshuman wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:15 pm
Pe or Se? IT is SE trying to post a pic but I cant seem to resize so IT works
Well like I said in an earlier post ATS-55 is most definitely one of my favorite blade steels for SE blades. Here in the past two months I've been EDCing an older ATS-55, Stainless Handled, RESCUE model. I think they only made them a little over a year or so. It's unfortunate too because that model is built like a NYC skyscraper :cool:

That SE Delica is going to be a really nice EDC for you I'm certain. One thing I really love about my SE Stainless RESCUE model is that I don't need to sharpen it very often. I just hope that more folks will join in on this old conversation. I probably need to do another thread on AUS-8 or ATS-34 as well. There were a lot of really cool classic models that came from that era.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I had a CE Tanto folder in ATS-55 and it had some mean, nasty serrations. I would have no problems using it again.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

This combo edge Endura in ATS-55 was my first Spyderco. I took it out of retirement yesterday, put a fresh edge on it, and now have it back in rotation. It is still a very capable cutting tool.
Attachments
lansky_endura_canis.jpg