Spyderco's ATS-55 Era: A Really Noteworthy Time In Spyderco History

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco's ATS-55 Era: A Really Noteworthy Time In Spyderco History

Post by JD Spydo »

OK most of you all who have known me for a while also know that I'm a huge fan of most of the older Spyderco models. Especially the ones that came from what I affectionately like to refer to as the GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS (1998-2003). And in that particular time slot was a special era in Spyderco's great history which I refer to as the ATS-55 Era. An Era where a lot of great "old School" Spyderco models were made with ATS-55 blade steel. And to the best of my knowledge I believe that Spyderco was the only commercial knife company that the Japanese would allow to use their ATS-55 for commercial production knives. There were also a lot of great models in that era that didn't have ATS-55 blade steel but were also great models too.

There were so many key classic models to emerge from the ATS-55 era and many of them get big bucks when they go up for auction. You can start with Spyderco's great C-44 Dyad model which to me was one of Spyderco's most unique as well as most functional folders they ever produced. I still own and use my C-44 Dyad on occasion>> I hope the concept of the Dyad never dies with Spyderco. Also the only time they made the great Harpy model with a G-10 handle was in the ATS-55 era ( and that G-10 Harpy MUST return at some point PLEASE!!!).

My current, full Spyderedged companion folder to my main EDC is the Stainless handled RESCUE model which was only produced during the ATS-55 era. I have so much wanted to see a Sprint Run of that incredibly rigid, tank of a folder and I do believe that all the newcomers to Spyderco would appreciate that "Abram's Tank" of a folder :cool: OK who else here also appreciates the ATS-55 era? What models did you all like from that incredible era in Spyderco's great history? And the knife doesn't necessarily have to have ATS-55 blade steel to have come from that era>> because many other great models also emerged at that time too. It's been a while since we've talked about this ATS-55 era. So let's talk about those great models. :cool: :spyder:
snapshot2017

Re: Spyderco's ATS-55 Era: A Really Noteworthy Time In Spyderco History

Post by snapshot2017 »

Here is a video showing the older Spyderco C-44 Dyad knife.
https://youtu.be/uAUOUYOeADM
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I have a couple of Dyads stashed away. I will have to go look at them. I don't even know the steel.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

My dyad is vg-10 with gray g10.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:12 am
I have a couple of Dyads stashed away. I will have to go look at them. I don't even know the steel.
I'm willing to bet that the Dyad models you have are the ATS-55 models. Because that Gray handled, VG-10 unit that "sjucaveman" just spoke of was a very limited Sprint run. Even the Dyad Jr models were all ATS-55>> at least all of the Dyads I ever owned were>> and I owned quite a few of them at one point.

I would love to see a new Dyad in one of the Supersteels. But there was so many great models that emerged from that era of the ATS-55 blades.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:54 am
My dyad is vg-10 with gray g10.
Mine too, and is still availible at retailers. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Rhodie

Post by Rhodie »

Have a Older Endura with ATS-55 Blade Steel purchased back in 2000.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I pulled them out and snapped a few pictures. They are ATS-55. The Micarta on the small Dyad is really beautiful and a dark brown color. Nice. My picture does not do it justice.
Attachments
IMG_8648.jpg
IMG_8644.jpg
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I scored a used but near mint Dyad Jr from my local knife shop. It was too cool to pass up but I may never use it, partly because it would be a shame to put wear on it and partly because I really prefer having a clip and this is the FRN no clip version. I also have a micarta version but the blades are very worn and the micarta is pretty beat up. It's tempting to try a blade swap but there's too much potential to ruin both of them if it doesn't go well.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:46 am
I pulled them out and snapped a few pictures. They are ATS-55. The Micarta on the small Dyad is really beautiful and a dark brown color. Nice. My picture does not do it justice.
Oh how I wish they would do a Sprint Run of the Micarta version of the C-44 Dyad with a newer/better supersteel set of blades. They could even use different steels for the different edge types IMO.

Also I agree with EVIL D that the FRN versions not having a pocket clip just seemed not right to me which is why I could never warm up to using that Dyad model. Whereas the Micarta version of the Dyad Jr had a really nice pocket clip on it.

There were a lot of innovations during the ATS-55 era and in the scope of the two years following there were some pivotal changes that really put the company on the great course they are currently with now.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

From Gin 1(G2) to Ats 55 I remember not noticing any drop off or increase in performance. They were both good for SE blades too. I'm glad we have moved on to the Tool steels, high speed, and vanadium "super steels" but looking back I'll say those were good knives and they did everything I needed. I too recall those days fondly Joe. :)

Joe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:01 am
From Gin 1(G2) to Ats 55 I remember not noticing any drop off or increase in performance. They were both good for SE blades too. I'm glad we have moved on to the Tool steels, high speed, and vanadium "super steels" but looking back I'll say those were good knives and they did everything I needed. I too recall those days fondly Joe. :)
That's a really interesting observation because you take H-1 for instance. Benchmade was actually the first commercial knife company I'm aware of that used it. BM used it in an old dive knife model they had back around 2001 but only for about a year before they abandoned it in favor of X-15 TN for that particular dive knife. But that dive knife in H-1 was only available in plain edge. But Spyderco made the awesome discovery that while it was very lackluster in PE performance they found out that it made an excellent steel for Spyderedges (serrations).

What I find interesting with most of the older blade steels that Spyderco used I agree that there were many that had a lot to be desired in PE but were extremely tough and reliable in Spyderco's great serration patterns. Also I've also found it quite intriguing that very few blade steels excel in PE & SE both. The list is so small I can just about count them on one hand.

Now ATS-55 on the other hand was pretty darn reliable in PE but did perform slightly better in SE. But it wasn't a junky blade in PE either like many of the older steels were unfortunately. And I don't think it's a coincidence that most of Spyderco's earlier models were mostly done in SE. Their unique serration patterns are pretty much what got them on the map so to speak. But again the ATS-55 era was a pivotal era that paved the way for most of their present day success. I'll never get rid of the ATS-55 units I still own because I do actually still use them from time to time. To me VG-10 which succeeded ATS-55 doesn't beat it out by a huge margin by any means IMO.
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

My favorite from that era is a SE Police model. What an awesome knife. I also have an Endura in ATS-55, and still carry it on occasion.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My fave ats-55 spydie is my FRN Cricket
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

While not ats-55 this thread got me to carry my dyad today. Such an odd knife that I go back and forth about getting rid of it. It's too quirky to let go so far.
Adam
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:11 am
My fave ats-55 spydie is my FRN Cricket
Hey SpyderGirl if you ever can get your hands on one of the Carbon Fiber Cricket models which was also out of that ATS-55 group of blades I guarantee you'll retire your FRN CRICKET in heartbeat. I normally don't like smaller Spyderco models for the work I normally do. But that Cricket with the CF handle was just a completely different model all together and I've kept mine over the years and won't part with it because I figure it will make one helluva key chain knife at some point.. And a lot of people like yourself just love the CRICKET model >> so keep a lookout for an ATS-55, full Spyderedge Carbon Fiber unit. You won't regret it!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:21 am
While not ats-55 this thread got me to carry my dyad today. Such an odd knife that I go back and forth about getting rid of it. It's too quirky to let go so far.
Hey caveman are you talking about the full sized C-44? Because I actually carry mine on occasions too. And the ATS-55 blade steel doesn't handicap me at all. That slender,streamlined clip point plain edged blade can get super scary sharp if you work it on any of the Spyderco Ultra-Fine stones.

And the sheepsfoot blade on that big C-44 Dyad has a slight belly to it and that really small curve/belly improves the cutting ability more than you would think. I hope Sal never gives up on the concept of the double-bladed Dyad model and I also hope that Spyderco does another/newer double-bladed model at some point. It is so handy to have a superb Plain edged blade and a great Spyderedged blade in one folder.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:26 am
Sjucaveman wrote:
Hey caveman are you talking about the full sized C-44? Because I actually carry mine on occasions too. And the ATS-55 blade steel doesn't handicap me at all. That slender,streamlined clip point plain edged blade can get super scary sharp if you work it on any of the Spyderco Ultra-Fine stones.

And the sheepsfoot blade on that big C-44 Dyad has a slight belly to it and that really small curve/belly improves the cutting ability more than you would think. I hope Sal never gives up on the concept of the double-bladed Dyad model and I also hope that Spyderco does another/newer double-bladed model at some point. It is so handy to have a superb Plain edged blade and a great Spyderedged blade in one folder.
Yeah, the full sized gray vg-10 version. I always like to have both a serrated and plain blade but usually on 2 different knives. The grip isn't stellar on the dyad or I'd carry it more.
Adam
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I think a have a few Delica 3s in ATS 55, great stainless steel - no rust and sharpens up very nicely.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:29 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:26 am
Sjucaveman wrote:

Yeah, the full sized gray vg-10 version. I always like to have both a serrated and plain blade but usually on 2 different knives. The grip isn't stellar on the dyad or I'd carry it more.
OK Caveman I'll give you that one regarding that C-44 Dyad doesn't have the best ergonomics of all the Spyders I've owned and used in my days. Which is why I always say that I would like to see Sal explore other possibilities with double-bladed folders. But in spite of that I still carry and use mine every so often and I just love having both a PE & SE blades in one folder.

Even though it's ergonomics have a bit to be desired I'll still stand by the C-44 Dyad as being one of my all time favorites simply because I just love the concept of a premium, double-bladed folder with two profound edge types. Maybe it's just a start of something better to eventually come down the product pipeline. But in spite of all of that I've had my original C-44, ATS-55 Dyad since the early 2000s and I doubt if I ever get rid of it.

But I still say you probably couldn't at this time find anything better to put in a serious "bug-out" bag or a top notch survival kit. Again I say the original C-44, ATS-55 Dyad was another jewel from the ATS-55 era.