Guide to the Best Knife Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
snapshot2017

Guide to the Best Knife Steel

Post by snapshot2017 »

This is a great guide to the best knife steels, if it has been posted before i apologize.
http://knifeinformer.com/discovering-th ... ife-steel/
Evil D

Re: Guide to the Best Knife Steel

Post by Evil D »

In before the debate :D

Let me just be the first to say, "all good, just different".
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They forgot toughness. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

That one's been posted a few times. I book marked it a couple years ago. I think it's a good general reference for those who are new to the knife hobby.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:13 pm
They forgot toughness. ;)
Yeah they mention toughness in the beginning but then they didn't provide a ranking for it when discussion the individual steel types.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Edge stability? :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:25 pm
This is a great guide to the best knife steels, if it has been posted before i apologize.
http://knifeinformer.com/discovering-th ... ife-steel/
That's a great guide for those looking for a summary of the cutlery steel world. Well balanced and grounded without seeming to push any agenda.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:17 pm
Edge stability? :D

Blade grind? Behind the edge thickness? Bevel angle? Edge finish? HRC? So many variables..
~David
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Blade geometry and the Heat treat are possibly as important as steel type for an individual design. I have blades in VG 10 which I love but I prefer more exotic materials at this point. I think any steel guide really is just a starting point for discussion. I find that Spyderco is using steels that aren’t in these guides such as the one you linked too, and there are others of course. Nice to have knowledgeable people to talk to about this stuff.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

kodai78 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:36 pm
Blade geometry and the Heat treat are possibly as important as steel type for an individual design. I have blades in VG 10 which I love but I prefer more exotic materials at this point. I think any steel guide really is just a starting point for discussion. I find that Spyderco is using steels that aren’t in these guides such as the one you linked too, and there are others of course. Nice to have knowledgeable people to talk to about this stuff.
You can find the steel Mfg.s working sheets on line for all the steels listed, they give detailed heat treating and hardness data.
Example: http://www.crucible.com/PDFs/DataSheets ... v12010.pdf
blues

Post by blues »

In line with the best knife steels chart...the knife steel composition chart:

http://knifeinformer.com/knife-steel-composition-chart/

Useful for a quick way to look at some of the more popular steels.
- Retired from the chase -
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

blues wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:39 pm
In line with the best knife steels chart...the knife steel composition chart:

http://knifeinformer.com/knife-steel-composition-chart/

Useful for a quick way to look at some of the more popular steels.
A very good addition thanks for posting it.
blues

Post by blues »

Thanks. Least I could do after deciding to register and de-cloak after these many years.

(Of course, I blame Shawn in any case. :p )
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:13 pm
I think it's a good general reference for those who are new to the knife hobby.
I agree. It's not at the level of most of the discussions on this forum (or others) but it's a good beginning "primer" for someone who's in the fairly early stages of knives, and is trying to figure stuff out.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Any of you guys patreons for knife steel nerds? New related article going public soon if not
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Blues,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
blues

Post by blues »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:35 pm
Hi Blues,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks, Sal. Same old "Blues" from bladeforums and blade shows past.

Thanks for the welcome, my friend. Figured it was about time. :p

(Lovin' what you're puttin' out there these days.)
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

Well after reading the forum and reviewing the s110v data sheet, and watching a 2016 Blade show interview video with Sal and his son Erick they spoke about the choices of steel they use in their knives.
I placed an order today for the Spyderco C101GPDBL2 Manix 2 with s110v steel blade and i am really happy to be getting it soon.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:25 pm
kodai78 wrote:
You can find the steel Mfg.s working sheets on line for all the steels listed, they give detailed heat treating and hardness data.
Not so sure they're giving the numbers that knife companies are actually using. Steel X at Spyderco may very well be a different hardness than Steel X at Benchmade, and neither may be what that website says it should be because a lot of these steels are designed for industrial use and the hardness they use for those applications may vary from knife applications.
~David
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:35 pm
snapshot2017 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:25 pm
kodai78 wrote:
Not so sure they're giving the numbers that knife companies are actually using. Steel X at Spyderco may very well be a different hardness than Steel X at Benchmade, and neither may be what that website says it should be because a lot of these steels are designed for industrial use and the hardness they use for those applications may vary from knife applications.
What the Mfg.s of the blades do with their heat treating process is a very tightly held secret, this is why one Mfg. of a knife using a brand X steel for their blades, will not render the same type blade as another Knife Mfg. using the exact same brand X steel.
Heat treating is a little science a little magic and a little VoDo, along with a lot of trials of the process's.