Chaparral... Liner Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kpatr4

Chaparral... Liner Lock?

Post by kpatr4 »

The Chaparral is a great knife. It has been on my list of knives to get for nearly four years, but for one reason or another it hadn't landed in my pocket until this past month. And now that it is... WOW. That said, I wish there was a liner lock version available. I'm no designer, but taking the same construction (thin blade, super-thin washers, and therefore a thin handle), I think it would be one heck of a small gents knife and something fun to fidget with as well. What are your thoughts on this idea?

PS: I understand that the Chaparral series is to focus on scales/handles as opposed to locking mechanism, That said, a liner lock would still be wonderful.
sal

Re: Chaparral... Liner Lock?

Post by sal »

Hi Kpatr4,

Welcome to our forum.

A linerlock Chaparral would require all new tooling. A rather expensive investment.

sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I certainly prefer a back lock and the Chaparral has probably the best. My main reason for preferring the back lock is it’s propensity to keep the blade closed. I have two Walker Liner Lock knives as well as a compression lock knife. I don’t have any concerns with the safety of any — liner, compression or back locks since I don’t abuse them or use them beyond their design limits, i.e., cutting a limb from a tree with my Lil’ Lum.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I love my Sage 2. So I don't disagree that a Chaparral-sized Ti frame-lock would be a sweet little knife. It just wouldn't really be a Chaparral anymore. So create a smaller-thinner Sage 2 with the thin blade stock of the Chap made of XHP steel (or even some other nice SS) and you'd have a winner. Not sure it would be a big seller since we already have the Chap but it's fun to dream. :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Eh, stick with backlock. A slippie version would be sweet but with the ukpk on the line too, even that might be redundant.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I may be wrong, but I think the Chap was the first Spydie to remove even a hint of vertical play (but maybe the Sage4 did so first). That accomplishment is worth not diminishing with other locks.

In any case, Sal has just remarked on the (un)likelihood.

But, he has left open how to get a Chap-like slicer but with a different lock. Ask him not to redesign the existing model but to design a new one...

So, get enough people here to buy into your idea (good luck with that), or get some skin in the game and collaborate (good luck with that, too).

Glad I have few Chaps as Sal designed the model.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Mmm I was just thinking it would be a PITA for no real gain, the sage range may be for you?
sal

Post by sal »

The Alcyone is a tad larger, but a nice smaller Walker Linerlock design.

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

How about the Cat?

I am delighted with my recently acquired Chap Stealth Ti, btw. Ticks all my functionality, looks and quality boxes.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx ChrisinHove,

I always thought it was a classic piece.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love the Chap as is.

I'd love to see a CBBL in a small package like that, but I'd rather that any new lock types be different knives, rather than a re-tooling of the Chap.
kpatr4

Post by kpatr4 »

Thanks Sal.
First, I apologize for the re-posting this initially... should have paid attention and not pass over the message indicating that my post would need mod. approval.

I realize the unlikelihood (to put it lightly) of a liner lock Chap due to those reasons already mentioned. It's not something I'd hold my breath for. I also wouldn't suggest redesigning the knife to set the back lock to the wayside. It is a great knife and since acquiring the FRN I quickly picked up the CF overlay. The titanium ones, while very appealing, are a bit too pricey. As Sal had previously mentioned in another thread, the titanium may be discontinued, so I'd be interested to see if there is any price reduction, at which time I'd may be more open to a purchase. I don't mean to imply that the Chap was lacking in anyway, aside from the sharp edges on the original Chap, it is flawless for the knife it was designed to be. Likewise, the Chap wasn't designed demonstrate the different locking mechanisms, that was the Sage.

I own the Sages (except 4) as well as the Cat. The Sage 1 a close second to the Chap based on my preferences in a knife keeps length under 6.5, but provides a goof amount of cutting edge and still a full grip. I realize its a pipe dream, but if it or another knife similar to the Chap's dimensions were to come out with a liner lock, higher end materials at a good price point. I'd be thrilled.

THanks
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A Chaparral liner lock? No way. The knife is about perfect as is. Why in the world would I want a knife that has a poorer lock that is not as safe in the pocket, on a pocket knife?

If there were anything done to the Chapparal, a hawk bill with Spyderedge like on the Dragonfly might be interesting.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

It’s hard to beat a backlock for thin designs. A liner lock needs room to travel. You could do a frame lock and come out even but meh, why?
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

A liner lock on a Chaparral would make it way too thick. Part of my love for the Chaparral series is how thin the overall knife is.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Don’t mess with perfection. The back lock has a bias to keep the blade closed. As Doc said, perfect for a pocket knife. My preference for any small knife is a back lock although I have others. I’m just more careful with the compression and liner locks when accessing the knife and I never carry them IWB.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Liner lock? Have you been drinking?
- best wishes, Jazz.
kpatr4

Post by kpatr4 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:42 pm
Why in the world would I want a knife that has a poorer lock that is not as safe in the pocket, on a pocket knife?
Preference. The point of the initial post was to get a feel if anyone had a similar opinion. Apparently not, which is fine. I happen to prefer the liner lock, you apparently the back lock. But to suggest that a 2.4" blade at .07 thickness requires the locking strength of a hard use blade or without one any well manufactured knife, Spyderco for instance, is a safety hazard in the pocket seems a bit of a stretch. Given the purpose of the Chaparral or any small(er) gents folder, I'd image any locking mechanism would service fairly well. This again is not to detract from how well Spyderco has designed and produced the Chap.
sal

Post by sal »

I have found that all locks have advantages and disadvantages. Hard to say that one is "better" than another. Some people like strength, some like ease and convenience, some like strong self close. As Kpatr4 said, it gets down to a matter of preference. That's why we make to **** many locks and we've got a few more in-the-works.

Hard to say "who is the prettiest girl or boy in the class"? Depends on to whom you are speaking. That's how I came to the conclusion about steels being "All good, just different". I guess you could also same the same about locks?

Susan has been with our company for more than 30 years. She always carries a knife and she prefers Walker Linerlocks. When I designed the Military, light weight was important as was convenient unlocking with gloves. The Linerlock was a good one. Linerlocks and Compression locks offer light weight models. The Compression lock is stronger, but is less convenient to unlock with gloves.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:33 pm

Susan has been with our company for more than 30 years. She always carries a knife and she prefers Walker Linerlocks. When I designed the Military, light weight was important as was convenient unlocking with gloves. The Linerlock was a good one. Linerlocks and Compression locks offer light weight models. The Compression lock is stronger, but is less convenient to unlock with gloves.

sal

I really like linerlocks. I love the linerlock on the Military. It might not be a great lock for the Chap, but I can't imagine the Military without it.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red