Who uses Sharpmaker exclusively?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Who uses Sharpmaker exclusively?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hmmm. Sounds like could be time for me to invest in the cbn or diamond rods as well. Glad you got it figured out! The frustration of being pretty certain you're doing the right thing and not getting the results you want....uggghhhh
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I have a worksharp field sharpener that sold me on the idea of diamond plates; there was just no good way to hold them at 15o since all the guides are 20o. I chose CBN rods after reading Deadboxhero’s and Bearfacedkiller’s posts. Some good material. Ultimately I don’t think you can go wrong with either material, the key to longevity is low pressure on your sharpening strokes. I also got both doublestuff stones, and plan to make some 15o bases to hold them. Like a doorstop with a lip.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Placed my order for the CBN rods today. Debated between them and diamond for a bit, but have read a lot of good about the CBN as well. Can't wait to give them a try. I don't think I need to reprofile, but will probably start fresh with these once they come in to remove the wire edge on my Chap LW. Used to be my most sharp knife of all. Very disheartening it will barely cut paper right now.

-Rick
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:50 pm
Placed my order for the CBN rods today. Debated between them and diamond for a bit, but have read a lot of good about the CBN as well. Can't wait to give them a try. I don't think I need to reprofile, but will probably start fresh with these once they come in to remove the wire edge on my Chap LW. Used to be my most sharp knife of all. Very disheartening it will barely cut paper right now.
Don't use them on your Chap right away. Diamond and CBN should be broken in on a cheap knife (or several) before using them on a knife you love. They are very aggressive when brand new. Besides, we've told you how to get rid of that wire edge... dull it, then START OVER! haha.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Zatx wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:14 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:50 pm
Don't use them on your Chap right away. Diamond and CBN should be broken in on a cheap knife (or several) before using them on a knife you love. They are very aggressive when brand new. Besides, we've told you how to get rid of that wire edge... dull it, then START OVER! haha.
Thanks for the heads up on that. I've got a pretty dull, cheap kitchen knife that will serve as the break in knife.

I did dull the Chap, started over, used lighter pressure for a good 45 minutes on the brown rods, corners and flats, checked the edge every 5-10 swipes with that loupe...same results. Beautiful bevel, but that apex is just a nightmare for me lately. Sharpie rubbed right off too, so I know I'm hitting it!

-Rick
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Have you tried stropping?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:47 pm
I dont have any kind of strop. I tried very light passes on the ultra fine rods as well as lightly running the edge across a wine bottle cork. No luck, though I don't think it was ready for it because the apex wasn't very sharp.

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Rick I'm thinking you might want to just bite the bullet and invest in a good re-profiling system. I know they aren't cheap - mine cost me more than any of my Spyderco knives - but I think they're definitely worth it in the long run.

I know for myself that getting a good guided sharpening system really opened up a new world of edge performance possibilities. I'm still learning but it has helped me tremendously in achieving the kind of razor edges I wanted.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:23 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:47 pm
I dont have any kind of strop. I tried very light passes on the ultra fine rods as well as lightly running the edge across a wine bottle cork. No luck, though I don't think it was ready for it because the apex wasn't very sharp.
You can get a good one for about 25$ from knivesplus. A leather belt works, stiff cardboard like from the back of a note pad works too. You could use any card board really as long as it's on a firm surface. Any thing that compresses slightly can be used as a strop. I've seen people staple a piece of denim to a board and rub some metal polish on it and use that for a strop.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I just completed reprofiling my M4 para3 on brand new cbn stones. It was a little nerve wracking. But I needed to remove a bunch of material to create an apex after killing the edge on steel wire. The “stones” broke in fairly quickly. Go easy, they are aggressive!!!! The knife was sticky sharp after the cbn rods, and back to rough shaving-sharp off the brown stone points. I had to put it down for the night. Will finish it tonight.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Well guys, I just made a rather surprising and disappointing discovery. One of my brown rods is warped. I'm a bit pissed off over this, as I've wasted quite a few hours of my time.

I gave them a shot at free hand on the bottom side of the Sharpmaker. I placed both brown rods in the slots and one never seemed to sit well. Bowed out on the middle, sat higher than the other. I thought that was odd, so I tried the fine and ultra fine rods. They sat flush and tight together in each way I placed them.

Sat the rod flat on my kitchen table, sure enough I could see under the middle part of the one rod and not any of the other rods. Has anybody else heard of or seen this issue before??

It's starting to come together now. All this time thinking I'm an idiot and reading how easy it is for everyone to use the Sharpmaker and wondering why I've very rarely achieved those results. At least I now know why, and can go to bed pissed but finally understanding the problem.

I've only had my Sharpmaker for about 4 months. This seems unbelievable to me :mad: :(

-Rick
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Rick, these little things are sent to try us ... don't give up! ;)

Also, I'm not too sure, what I presume would be a slight bow (?) should have too much of a detrimental effect, but I don't rightly know. :rolleyes:

Mr Glesser has indicated on a couple of occasions that the Medium (brown) stones pose some challenges in production. I believe after reading one of his post on one of the new Gauntlet threads that they won't be making Medium stones with the Cat's Eye cross section.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:35 pm
Well guys, I just made a rather surprising and disappointing discovery. One of my brown rods is warped. I'm a bit pissed off over this, as I've wasted quite a few hours of my time.

I gave them a shot at free hand on the bottom side of the Sharpmaker. I placed both brown rods in the slots and one never seemed to sit well. Bowed out on the middle, sat higher than the other. I thought that was odd, so I tried the fine and ultra fine rods. They sat flush and tight together in each way I placed them.

Sat the rod flat on my kitchen table, sure enough I could see under the middle part of the one rod and not any of the other rods. Has anybody else heard of or seen this issue before??

It's starting to come together now. All this time thinking I'm an idiot and reading how easy it is for everyone to use the Sharpmaker and wondering why I've very rarely achieved those results. At least I now know why, and can go to bed pissed but finally understanding the problem.

I've only had my Sharpmaker for about 4 months. This seems unbelievable to me :mad: :(

Mad? Heck, reframe how you're looking at it. Look at all the new information and knowledge you've gained about sharpening in a very compressed timeframe. You received years of wisdom in just a few days. ;) Celebrate my man!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

^^ I like your style! Hahaha. Feeling a bit better about it this morning. Guess I'll buy a new set of brown rods...even though I just spent the $53 on the CBN rods that should be arriving today.

-Rick
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

You shouldn’t have to buy a pair of rods; they are sold as singles. And if it’s warped from the factory why not call Spyderco customer service? It seems like a warranty issue.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Those CBN rods showed up at my work today...those things are no joke! Almost afraid to try them hahaha. I'll break them in a bit on a kitchen knife, then give them a try on another cheaper steel pocket knife.

It wouldn't be wrong to try and use them NOT for reprofiling would it? Just as a fresh start for some new steel, a few strokes and then move to the browns?

-Rick
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:45 am
Those CBN rods showed up at my work today...those things are no joke! Almost afraid to try them hahaha. I'll break them in a bit on a kitchen knife, then give them a try on another cheaper steel pocket knife.

It wouldn't be wrong to try and use them NOT for reprofiling would it? Just as a fresh start for some new steel, a few strokes and then move to the browns?

I'd probably use them for reprofiling quite a bit before working them into your "normal" routine. While they aren't as aggressive as other diamond and CBN products one can buy, they do produce pretty big scratches that can be difficult to remove if you say accidentally hit the side of your knife. Once they are good and broken in it's safer to use them on a more regular basis. I use mine all the time on a brand new factory edge to remove the grind marks quicker than the brown stones will do it.

Just remember... light pressure... VERY light pressure. If you think you're using light enough pressure, well, you aren't... go lighter!

[EDIT: I labeled the sides of my cbn/diamond rods (1, 2, 3) and use the same sides then rotate them so I know which side is more broken in, and thereby less aggressive. ]
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's very good idea with the labeling! I'll definitely do that as well. Thanks for the tip!

-Rick
Conan

Post by Conan »

I use a DMT aligner kit with all the stones and a Bark River strop from DLT.