Manix 2 Blurple first impression

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bruce Mack

Manix 2 Blurple first impression

Post by Bruce Mack »

This is a starry-eyed comment, not a review. I love the appearance, color, and heft and the bank vault sound of opening and closing. Most of all I love the blade which was sharp out of the box with symmetrical bevels. It honed beautifully on the Sharpmaker at the 30° setting. I send my thanks to the people at Golden, CO. and to the Glessers for a terrific knife.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Manix 2 Blurple first impression

Post by Doc Dan »

I agree that the color is very nice. It is one of my two top favorite colors from Spyderco. I like the M2, as well. What a great design. What is hope for is a blurple M2 back lock with linerless G10.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I really wish they would come out with S110V in another color as well
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Donut

Post by Donut »

Is it the G-10 Blurple one or the FRN Dark Blue one?

I'm assuming G-10 and it is an awesome knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Bruce Mack

Post by Bruce Mack »

It is G-10. I'm really happy with it.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

The Manix 2 Blurple just might have to be my next Spyderco knife, to keep my PM2 company.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The only reason the purple M2 isn't my main yard work knife anymore is that it has to split pocket time with the orange & S90V M2 LW and the Ti/CF & S90V Military...

It's really a beast for tough cutting chores! Another benefit of the G10 Manix 2 is that it's very secure in a gloved hand due to the projecting liner jimping and the deep choil, If you ever need to do some mini-machete work I think you'll really appreciate that feature.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

awa54 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:26 am
The only reason the purple M2 isn't my main yard work knife anymore is that it has to split pocket time with the orange & S90V M2 LW and the Ti/CF & S90V Military...

It's really a beast for tough cutting chores! Another benefit of the G10 Manix 2 is that it's very secure in a gloved hand due to the projecting liner jimping and the deep choil, If you ever need to do some mini-machete work I think you'll really appreciate that feature.
That is some really good information about this knife, the more users tell us about how they use their knives the better it is.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:40 am
awa54 wrote:

That is some really good information about this knife, the more users tell us about how they use their knives the better it is.
I do notice a little problem item from a video from a user of this knife, he is saying the ball has a problem with catching on lip, and it feels somewhat rough when opening blade, has anyone noticed this on their knife?
this is his video.
https://youtu.be/0DzN1_Bvano
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:28 am
snapshot2017 wrote:
awa54 wrote:

I do notice a little problem item from a video from a user of this knife, he is saying the ball has a problem with catching on lip, and it feels somewhat rough when opening blade, has anyone noticed this on their knife?
this is his video.
Sounds like his knife is dirty my M2 is smooth as silk. My S30V M2 got gummy after 4 years from a mix of dirt and oil on the pivot so I took it apart and cleaned with alcohol. This knife is pretty easy to get apart and clean
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:21 am
snapshot2017 wrote:
snapshot2017 wrote:
awa54 wrote:

this is his video.
Sounds like his knife is dirty my M2 is smooth as silk. My S30V M2 got gummy after 4 years from a mix of dirt and oil on the pivot so I took it apart and cleaned with alcohol. This knife is pretty easy to get apart and clean
In his video he is saying knife is brand new, and he implies other have noticed this item.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:56 am

In his video he is saying knife is brand new, and he implies other have noticed this item.
I'll be honest I skipped the video but a gritty action is usually dirt. Mine was smooth from day 1 and when it wasn't it was dirty. If there is a problem with a new knife that you can't solve just send it to SFO and let them sort it out. I think that is best esp if it's new
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:02 am
snapshot2017 wrote:

I'll be honest I skipped the video but a gritty action is usually dirt. Mine was smooth from day 1 and when it wasn't it was dirty. If there is a problem with a new knife that you can't solve just send it to SFO and let them sort it out. I think that is best esp if it's new
The item described in his video has to do with a feeling he feels when depressing the ball release, he feels a catching feeling as the ball touch's something before the operation of opening happens.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

In honor of this thread, I located my S110v Manix 2 in blurple and will carry it the next few days.

My knife is virtually new, has almost never been carried. It seems perfectly smooth both opening and closing.

Somebody knows somebody who posted a video about a knife with a problem. Probably some bit of debris in the fellows knife,
but certainly not anything that is a general feature of the Manix 2. He isn't posting here, and it is not my problem. He should either
clean it, disassemble it and check for a burr if he is competent to do so, or send it in to Spyderco.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:51 am
In honor of this thread, I located my S110v Manix 2 in blurple and will carry it the next few days.

My knife is virtually new, has almost never been carried. It seems perfectly smooth both opening and closing.

Somebody knows somebody who posted a video about a knife with a problem. Probably some bit of debris in the fellows knife,
but certainly not anything that is a general feature of the Manix 2. He isn't posting here, and it is not my problem. He should either
clean it, disassemble it and check for a burr if he is competent to do so, or send it in to Spyderco.
Spyderco says taking their knives apart voids the warranty.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:53 am
Good to point out, and rightly so. This has never stopped me in other cases, but to be honest I have never actually needed to take apart a Spyderco knife to "fix" anything -- but I probably would in a case like that described. But this talk is all hypothetical since we are talking about some unknown person on You-Tube with some minor issue with his Manix 2. If there was a clear defect, I would send it in to Spyderco. If it was something I thought I had a good chance of fixing, I would save them trouble, accept the risk, and tackle it myself. But I am not the average end user.

Being good people, Spyderco might well take care of a problem even after you had voided the warranty in this manner. But I don't speak for them in any way shape or form, other than speaking for them here and now. :-) But their legal obligations to do warranty repair have been cancelled once you take apart a knife.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I was under the impression that the current policy around disassembly was that if done correctly the warranty remains in force, but Spyderco reserves the right to void the warranty if damages to a knife are consistent with improper disassembly or reassembly of a knife.

On the Manix lock smoothness question, I have (ahem...) shall we say "several" CBBL Manix, ranging from an early 154CM sabre grind to the KC CruWear exclusive and two LW variants, ALL of them are perfectly smooth and will glide open or shut when lock tension is released, they are also all knives that have seen significant use (the 154CM excepted, since I haven't owned it long), mostly for yard and garden work, though the XHP exclusive has only been a work EDC.

Sounds like the "expert" in that video either needs to clean some grit out of the knife, or just realize that when you wedge a ball bearing in to a tapered slot, then bed it in under spring tension by applying force to the blade while cutting, that at that point a certain amount of force is required to retract the firmly wedged ball, which does give a slightly perceptible gritty feeling and often a quiet click as the blade is unlocked. My bet is that this is an intentional feature rather than a defect, since lock safety is more important on a working knife like the Manix, than that ultimate glass smooth unlock you might wish for in a gentleman's knife is.
Last edited by awa54 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:53 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:51 am

That is not exactly correct. You can take it apart and clean it. If you take it apart and monkey with it, then that will void the warrantee.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

snapshot2017 wrote:
koenigsegg wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:21 am
snapshot2017 wrote:
snapshot2017 wrote:

this is his video.
I always believe everything I see on the internet, especially YouTube. ;)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

The S110v G10 Manix 2 is one of the first spydercos I bought, Because I thought (at beginning of my knife hobby) that I only wanted larger/heavy-duty knives ! I purchased the manix, ZT0909, CS Recon 1, and Gayle Bradley 1 all around the same time. The GB1 and blurple Manix 2 were on another level compared to the other manufacturers IMO ...and the rest is history.

My Manix 2 was flawless (Amazon )in appearance and operation. ..smooth as glass pivot action.

James