Would you buy more or less Spydercos if they were all made in the same steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy more or less Spydercos if they were all made from the same blade steel?

I'd buy more
8%
I'd buy less
69%
I'd buy about the same
17%
Other (Elaborate in your reply)
5%

Total votes: 98

vivi

Would you buy more or less Spydercos if they were all made in the same steel?

Post by vivi »

Pick your favorite "jack of all trades" knife steel. VG10, S30V, 1095....whatever you like.

Now make every knife in the 2018 Spyderco catalog use that steel.

Do you buy more knives or less knives than before?
:unicorn
razorsharp

Re: Would you buy more or less Spydercos if they were all made in the same steel?

Post by razorsharp »

If they were all M4 or M390 , I would continue buying and be pretty **** happy :D If they were all S30v, I would buy them but maybe not as many as the steel is often one of the parts that draws me into buying a knife or sometimes multiples. If they were all something like VG10, BD1 etc, I'd probably buy the ones who's designs really jump put at me.
vivi

Re: Would you buy more or less Spydercos if they were all made in the same steel?

Post by vivi »

razorsharp wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:09 am
If they were all M4 or M390 , I would continue buying and be pretty **** happy :D If they were all S30v, I would buy them but maybe not as many as the steel is often one of the parts that draws me into buying a knife or sometimes multiples. If they were all something like VG10, BD1 etc, I'd probably buy the ones who's designs really jump put at me.
In this hypothetical scenario you get to pick. So imagine if every Spyderco was made in M4 or M390? How would your wallet feel? :p
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I would buy a couple models with Cruwear but overall I would buy less. Variety is the spice of life.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd definitely buy more if they were all VG-10.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:32 am
I'd definitely buy more if they were all VG-10.
Same here. I would love to see more models in VG10. Also in H1.
supracor

Post by supracor »

I would buy them all if they were all in H1.
Especially some models like the Police/ Sustain/ Respect and other big blades ...or if all the Spydercos were in ZDP189/ Hap72

I'm waiting the H1/ ZDP/ Hap72 Tatanka ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Absolutely less. Why would I need 5 Militaries and 5 Yojimbo 2s if they all had the same steel? In fact this actually is already happening, there are several new models that I never bought because they're just too similar in components to what I already have. Steel variety is the #1 reason I buy duplicates and they make up about half of the knives I own.

Now, there would probably be models I never bought if they came in different steels than they debuted in, but I think overall I'd still buy less even if they all came in my absolute favorite steel.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:06 am
Absolutely less. Why would I need 5 Militaries and 5 Yojimbo 2s if they all had the same steel? In fact this actually is already happening, there are several new models that I never bought because they're just too similar in components to what I already have. Steel variety is the #1 reason I buy duplicates and they make up about half of the knives I own.

Now, there would probably be models I never bought if they came in different steels than they debuted in, but I think overall I'd still buy less even if they all came in my absolute favorite steel.
What do you feel you gain from owning 5 of the same knife in different steels?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:09 am

Uh..... different steels..lol.

Using and testing different steels is part of the hobby. They all behave a little differently. Some are stainless, some patina, some sharpen with the greatest of ease and others hold an edge for insane periods of use, some are tougher than others, some have serrations and others don't, some are DLC and some aren't. Variety is the spice of life. Having those different steels on the same model means I can also do apples to apples comparisons between the steels. I do have a couple "pre-need backups" that have never been used but they're also sprints that I knew I'd get gouged on price later if I wanted another one. Some of it is because, no matter how hard I try, a little part of me probably is a collector and it's awfully pretty having them all lined up in single file.

If this question was "would you buy more knives if everything was offered in a SE/H1 variant?" Then yes absolutely I'd buy a lot more, probably some in that combo that I wouldn't buy in standard PE/S30V.

How many variations of t-shirts do you own? Shoes?
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I'm with David here. If Spyderco only offered models in one steel I probably would never have gotten on to them as a company. The main appeal of Spyderco, for me, is the huge variety of steels available. And after all, it's mainly the variety in steels they use that makes Spyderco so unique in the knife world. What other major knife company has production models in S110V, H-1, Maxamet, LC200N, etc.?

For my knife needs, a Delica in VG-10 would be more than good enough. But why limit it to just one steel?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:17 am
Vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:09 am

Uh..... different steels..lol.

Using and testing different steels is part of the hobby. They all behave a little differently. Some are stainless, some patina, some sharpen with the greatest of ease and others hold an edge for insane periods of use, some are tougher than others, some have serrations and others don't, some are DLC and some aren't. Variety is the spice of life. Having those different steels on the same model means I can also do apples to apples comparisons between the steels. I do have a couple "pre-need backups" that have never been used but they're also sprints that I knew I'd get gouged on price later if I wanted another one. Some of it is because, no matter how hard I try, a little part of me probably is a collector and it's awfully pretty having them all lined up in single file.

If this question was "would you buy more knives if everything was offered in a SE/H1 variant?" Then yes absolutely I'd buy a lot more, probably some in that combo that I wouldn't buy in standard PE/S30V.

How many variations of t-shirts do you own? Shoes?
You're talking to a guy that exclusive buys the same color, size & brand shirt. lol. I buy the same model shoe until its discontinued. Buy five pairs of the exact same shorts / pants and wear them 7 days a week haha.

I know different steels get you different steels, haha. But what does using and comparing them gain you at the end of the day?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Great topic idea, Vivi!

I'd for sure buy fewer.

Most of my knives have a particular use in mind. Example: the SpyderHawk - used for yardwork and trimming and in the garden.

A lot of the time the steel of a knife supports the use. Example: The SpyderHawk I have has H1 steel, which helps resist corrosion from various acidic plant juices, dampness, etc.

I have a lot of different uses, thus I appreciate steel that supports those different uses.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:41 am
I know different steels get you different steels, haha. But what does using and comparing them gain you at the end of the day?

Well, I guess more or less just fun and satisfaction, because aside from H1/rust proof variants or SE/PE variants they can all realistically perform the same basic needs more or less. I've got a little Scion xB toaster on wheels that I drive to work, and I've got a 500 horsepower Mustang. The Mustang can also take me to work, but the experience is different. Ultimately it's just fun, I don't know if you'll get much more of a scientific answer than that. Some guys have a legitimate need for extreme wear resistance so some steels are far more useful, others like you have issues with rust so those steels are more useful. Answer the question yourself....if they all came in Super Blue, would you buy more or less? What if they all came in FFG/LC200N? I would probably buy more different models if they all came in steels I really really liked, but I wouldn't have a need for duplicates of the same model and I would be far more picky about buying models that are too much alike in size and other features.

Another way I look at it is, some of the steel variants I have are just plain better overall. If a steel holds an edge better, is generally tougher, and isn't significantly harder to sharpen or is going to rust easily, I'm always going to reach for that model over the basic version. Then I end up with models I may never use again. Those duplicates are essentially upgrades. But, that goes back to the original question, I wouldn't have ever bought the upgrade if it wasn't offered in the first place.
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Variety is the spice of life so I’d definitely buy less. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Maybe more maybe less. Hard to say. I would only have 3 Natives (LW, G10, linerless G10) instread of 8, going on 10 when the 2 Salts drop. But if everything was made in Cruwear I would probably already have a Manix LW, Manix Backlock, Manix XL, Shaman, Lil Natives (sold my S30V ones...waiting for sprints), etc.

I enjoy the trying the variety of steels though, so Im glad that we have near endless options in that regard. In an ideal world I would have all S30V models CQI'd to Cruwear as the standard production steel, but keep everything else the same. Oh, and I would make the Native LW basically an unofficial folding mule by offering it in every steel possible.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a steel geek and I am one of the folks who buys multiples of the same model to try it in different steels and adding a new steel to my pile of knives is a driving force in my purchasing decisions. So on the surface it seems as though I would buy less.

However, Spyderco has been limited by production capacity. If they weren't so busy making a bazillion Para2, Para3 and Native sprints they would probably be bringing more new models to market. The other reason I buy knives is to try out interesting looking models. If a design is interesting enough I buy it even if the steel is pedestrian.

I guess it depends on which type of variety you like and I assume that is something Spyderco tries to balance out.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I know I can't be the only guy who plays head games with himself and justifies buying knives I really don't need just because they have a different fancy steel..
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:40 am
I know I can't be the only guy who plays head games with himself and justifies buying knives I really don't need just because they have a different fancy steel..
Guilty as charged. However, if someone really likes a particular design or steel I can see why different steels don't appeal to them. They are already satisfied
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Probably not David. I have not counted exactly how many but if you include all the brands in my collection then I would probably have around 45 different steels. There is no way to explain that except being a steel geek.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?