The curious case of the LW Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

The curious case of the LW Manix 2

Post by Surfingringo »

This knife is a bit of a mystery to me. Personally, I have never fallen in love with the Manix design. There is nothing that I hate about it but there are a number of features and design characteristics that I don't like as much as some of the other Spyderco's in that size range.

For example...

-I have never been much of a fan of the "leaf shaped" blade
-I don't really like defined finger grooves
-I find the knife a bit wide in pocket when in the closed position.

Now, none of those things are deal killers but given that there are other Spyderco's (pm2 for example) that give me a similarly sized knife without having to accept those features I don't like, it stands to reason that the Manix design isn't an all time favorite of mine.

Here's the curious part though. I have a Manix LW in Maxamet that I can't seem to keep out of my pocket. I keep a spydie-pac in my living room with about 10 folders that I regularly rotate for daily carry. When I leave the house each day I just grab whatever tickles my fancy at the moment. What I have found over the last year is that that Manix gets carried disproportionately often. I end up grabbing it WAY more often than my PM2 which is a knife that I clearly prefer based on its characteristics. The strangest part is that I can't really tell you why. It definitely has nothing to do with the steel. Maxamet is fun to play with but it doesn't make a very good EDC steel here in the tropics as it is too prone to corrosion and dulling due to corrosion at the edge. If my Manix had a more corrosion resistant steel I would probably carry it even more. At any rate, the whole thing bothers me as I consider myself a person who not only makes logical decisions but is able to intelligently articulate WHY I make those decisions. I am struggling to come up with an answer here and I am left perplexed.

My best guesses are that it has to do with weight and ease of carry. I often find myself in board shorts during the day with no front pockets so it is common for me to carry a knife IWB. The Manix LW feels very thin and comfortable when carried that way. So much so that I was surprised when I compared it to my pm2. I expected the handle to be thinner than the pm2 but it is the same thickness. I guess the wider profile makes if feel thinner when carried that way? I will be interested to try out a LW pm2 if those ever make it to market as I think that will answer some of these questions. If I find that I like carrying that over the manix (which I expect I would) then I will know that this is more about weight and handle material than it is about the design itself. Hopefully I will get to do such a test someday soon! :rolleyes: :D

So yeah, that's the curious case of the LW Manix 2...a knife that often finds its way into my pocket or waistband without me being able to tell you why. Does anybody else have similar thoughts on the Manix? Or maybe another model that weasels its way into your pocket more than you would expect?
mb1

Re: The curious case of the LW Manix 2

Post by mb1 »

I can relate Lance. The looks of the Manix and the large leaf-shaped blade have never really appealed to me. I used to wonder about the reliability of the BBL and whether it could clog and jam with the exposed design. I've never had an issue there though.

But the reality is the LW does disappear in your pocket being a featherweight. And then it is very confidence inspiring in use. It still tends to turn me off for EDC because that FCRP snags my pocket and doesn't draw very well. It's just annoying and has relegated mine to lowly backpack duty for the most part. I've also found the squared off handle a little uncomfortable during prolonged use.

I was actually having this similar internal debate about the Shaman yesterday. I will eventually give one a shot, but something about it just hasn't grabbed me yet. Part of that is the large leaf again, but I think the overbuilt folder thing doesn't appeal to me so much. I picture myself going for a fixed blade where such a beefy folder may be needed. We shall see.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm with you on the forced grip positions, but I've found the grip on the Manix 2 to be far better for me than the Para 2, especially if I don't use the choil. I don't mind leaf blades, they're an easy way to add tip strength without having to rely on a thick blade grind.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

I can relate to everything you just wrote! I have a little over 20 Spyderco's and I find my LW Manix S110V in my pocket 4/5 days a week, it just works! Maybe the S110V model may be the one for you considering your location? Don't won't to use the word "disagree" but I have found that I do love Spyderco's leaf shaped blades, when I first started buying Spydie's, the first two I bought were a hollow grind 154CM Manix and a Superleaf, about as "leaf" shaped as it gets!

I then thought the leaf shape was a little weird/different, but now it's just the normal blade shape I've grown to love the most! If you think the Manix is a pocket hog, you should carry the Superleaf for a few days, it's really a HOG! In the end, I think the Manix LW is a stroke of genius in design!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I strangely never was a fan of the G10 Manix2 but do like the LW version. I am not 100% sure why? I think part of it is that I am not a huge fan of jimping and always found all of the superfluous jimping on the Manix2 excessive. Other than that I am not sure. I do know that I appreciate how lightweight the ManixLW is for it's size.

I have one G10 Manix2 and it is the Cruwear model and I largely keep it around for the steel. I love Cruwear. I have three of the ManixLW models (XHP, S90V, Maxamet) and will likely get more if the right combinations are offered.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I thought you had a S110v lightweight?

Regardless of preferences, the Manix2 LW is a standout design. One is always in my hiking bag as a backup, as well as the one in the console of my truck. I have a similar relationship with the DF2... I like to keep one within reach.

I suppose it would never happen, but I really hope the PM2 lightweight comes with the wire clip, which I think is a part of what makes the Manix2 LW so successful feel the way it does.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

The thing holding me back from getting a Manix 2 LW is rivet construction. I like to be able to open and maintain my knives. Even more so with a spring in there that might fail. Also the fit and finish on the back spine is not optimal. The FRCP is too plasticky to me. I'd prefer FRN for a LW. I wish it had the material and construction of the Native 5.

But it has a lot going for it. Low weight, wire clip, unique lock, good shape, blade size and steel selection.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Manix LW is one that has always been on my radar, but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I feel like the design of the Manix series lends itself more to the tool steels I have come to love. My 2 G10 Manixes are in 52100 and M4. If the Manix LW was offered in something along those lines I would grab one. If they give up on Maxamet I will grab a Maxamet version just so I have a second knife in this steel.

What I would really like to see is a Manix LW Salt. Whether they use the current platform or make an FRN LW version of the Manix Backlock.

I agree with the screwed vs pinned comments as well. I want screwed construction on my knives for maintenance. Perhaps that can be a CQI change. I also agree that whatever can be done to make the feel less plasticity should be done. Whether that is giving the inside of the molds a texture, switching back to FRN vs FRCP, or doing a post molding step of sandblasting some texture into the handles. You dont want people to compare a knife to a toy or a lego brick.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

At work each day I have a smaller blade (Native, Delica, Para 3, Chap) in my front pocket along with a Manbug. About a year ago I also started carrying a bigger (for me) blade IWB in case I need something bigger. I don't really use it very often but it's nice to have when I need it. The Manix 2 LW works great for this due to the light weight. PM2 works great in the role for me too so I usually alternate. My lady and I walk often and the M2 LW is usually my choice then too.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I just need to bite the bullet and buy one. I'll pick up the s110v version or s90v version when I have money. I've been hoping for something in a more mid range steel but I'll still buy that too if it ever happens.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Lance, yes it is a mystery that may not be resolvable through logic alone. I have two favorite knives which are the Rhino and the Lil’ Lum. They are really odd balls and rationally both would seem to be models with distinct disadvantages: blade shapes and length, size, etc. but for some unexplained reasons I love them both and carry both regularly.

It may be that you are just in sync with that Manix. I have tried the light weight Mannix a couple of times and want to like it. I suspect if I was more mobile I just might carry one occasionally. Don’t know. Anyway, it is a nice mystery to have.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:21 am
I strangely never was a fan of the G10 Manix2 but do like the LW version. I am not 100% sure why? I think part of it is that I am not a huge fan of jimping and always found all of the superfluous jimping on the Manix2 excessive. Other than that I am not sure. I do know that I appreciate how lightweight the ManixLW is for it's size.

I have one G10 Manix2 and it is the Cruwear model and I largely keep it around for the steel. I love Cruwear. I have three of the ManixLW models (XHP, S90V, Maxamet) and will likely get more if the right combinations are offered.
I sand all those traction ridges or faux-jimping or whatever they are called off of all my M2LW's. Waaaaay better! It's on of the reasons I haven't gotten a G10 model as those would be a touch more challenging to remove and leave everything nice. On my LW's you can't tell they were there unless you look real close in a couple spots. If they ever make a Manix 3, I hope those ridges go away.

I am not a fan of "mandatory" finger choils on EDC knives. Meaning, you have to use the finger choil for a comfortable grip. For me, the Native is in this category. But with the Manix 2 LW, the choil isn't required, it is an option and a very good one. The Manix 2 LW feels great in the hand despite it's curves.

And, I know it's sort of a small thing to many folks, but I much prefer a wire clip so that adds to me love of the M2LW!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:25 am
I feel like the design of the Manix series lends itself more to the tool steels I have come to love.
I understand your love for tool steels (I really like 'em too) but sometimes I think the additional gain in toughness is overkill. These are only pocket knives afterall. I manage a warehouse and oversee production for a cabinet company. My job is primarily administrative but I often need to be out in the warehouse taking care of something. So I use my knives daily to break down heavy cardboard, cut poly banding, I even carve on hardwood occasionally. I've never had an issue with the edge on any of my SS blades. The other day one of my guys ruined a heavy duty extension cord by running it over with a fork lift. So I pulled out the BD1 M2 LW I had on me and cut it up to throw it the dumpster. I figured I trashed the edge cutting the wire inside. Nope! I cleaned it up when I got home and looked at it under magnification. It's fine.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I’ve wondered about that too. I’m not a very knowledgeable steel person, just the basics and I seldom care about the steel in any knife that interests me. For the majority of users, how much better could, say, CRUWEAR be than BD1N for example? I can see the need for H1, etc. but I suspect the “super steels” are important to a minority of folks.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

It's Sal's fault I like fancy steels
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I really do love leaf blades but can't really give any experiential or observational reasons why I like them so much. Maybe it's just the looks? My first manix2 is the blacked out s30v and I just loved the "girth" of it and passing it out around the plant most of the guys liked it compared to the others I've shown just because of the heft. I keep it around the nightstand and plan to slip it next to my 9mm since it looks like they were made for each other. I really wanted Maxamet steel and wanted to find it in Para3 form but they're hard to come by , or just too pricey. I decided to get lw manix and I find now that I prefer it's "blade forward" feel over the it's big boned brother. I've only had this knife for a few days and other than fondling I've not really "used" it. I carried it a little yesterday and it does disappear in the pocket..until you try and slide your hand past it. Here in the Commonwealth the climate is mild so I doubt I'll worry about the corrosion any.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I prefer the blade on the PM2 but that is the only thing I prefer. I very much like the Manix 2 back lock and the Manix 2 LW far better because quite simply they fit my hand better than the PM2. I carry a M2 LW at least once a day in my shorts. It is so light I do not even know it is in my pocket until I need it. I never cared for the steel liner version, but when I got my first LW I was hooked.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Rats, the Cutlery Shop s90v is out. Do they re-order often?
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:17 am
I’ve wondered about that too. I’m not a very knowledgeable steel person, just the basics and I seldom care about the steel in any knife that interests me. For the majority of users, how much better could, say, CRUWEAR be than BD1N for example? I can see the need for H1, etc. but I suspect the “super steels” are important to a minority of folks.

It's just another part of the hobby that some people have a lot of interest in. Lots of people own cars but not everyone is a car guy....that sort of thing. Some just need their knife to cut things, others care how well it does so and why it does it better.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:32 am
Rats, the Cutlery Shop s90v is out. Do they re-order often?

I dont think they do reorders or they would have redone the CTS-XHP PM2s by now. I think there is going to be a DLC version of the orange S90V Manix LW at sone point though I heard.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red