Why did the market want heavier knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Why did the market want heavier knives?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I cannot really add anything that has not already been said. While you do occasionally hear someone say they like a little heft in their knives I do not think that those voices were the driving force behind getting liners. It was requests for a 4 way clip and knives that flexed less. Those two things came at a price and that was cost and weight.

As has been stated, the Native5LW and Manix2LW are both linerless. Also the Manix Backlock and Native5 are both linerless G10 knives.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I guess I have a different tolerance or internal scale for knife weight. From my perspective, none of the spydercos I have are heavy. Biggest I have is a pm2 though. The Benchmade 710HSSR is not heavy; the ZT 301 is. My Damascus and stag Buck 110 is heavy! But it’s a sheath knife, and a sturdy belt stabilizes heavy loads just fine. A little time with CCW and knife weight is a pretty minor thing. A spare mag is considerably thicker and heavier. Where to carry the knife becomes more of an issue as my favorite location (right edge of back back pocket) is an interference fit with my holster at about 4 o’clock IWB or OWB.

The Salt 2 uses stainless steel inserts to allow for 4-way clip mounting with linerless construction. The knife is very light, and as a bonus it’s thicker than a Delica 4. So far it appears to be plenty strong, though I’ve read of pivots loosening up over time.

Personally, I don’t like skinny knife handles unless we’re talking about a dress-up knife, but that would not be a primary edc for me. I’d rather have a compact fat knife like the urban.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I think they messed up the native lw by doing the same thing. I loved my Native FRN with barrel clip
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm stoked to see what the Police4 LW hits the scales at.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm really impressed with how sturdy the Native 5 LW feels, there's little to no flex in the handle. It's also a far more complicated mold than you see on Salts. I believe the Salt 2 has a similar mold but I didn't get to take one apart yet. I think as molds improve and clip mounting options change we'll see less and less steel liners. If they can make a knife just as stiff but with less components and end up with a lighter knife it's a win for everyone. Well...it's a win for everyone except people who can't wrap their minds around a "plastic" knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Agreed, the Native LW that I've handled - the maxamet version - has all sorts of molded ribbing as reinforcement inside the handle. it's impressive.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

I don't think anyone really wanted heavier, however I can see how many folks value the rigidity of liners, including myself. The Endura 4 is still a VERY lightweight knife in my opinion.
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Rigity is very important. However, with my Native 5, Manix LW, and Manix backlock knives, I think the blade would snap before flex would be a problem. They are not like the Bugout or the old cold steel offerings that are easy to flex.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:21 am
I'm not sure anyone asked for more weight, they asked for a stronger knife. The Salts are very durable but the same knife with steel liners will be that much more durable. They also flex less. It's a perception thing. I suspect much of it had to do with mounting clips, so now that we're seeing helicoils like the new lightweights are using for clip screws maybe we'll see less full linered knives. I would certainly welcome more solid G10.
In your opinion, what can an Endura 4 do that an Endura 3 cannot?
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:25 am
As has been stated, the Native5LW and Manix2LW are both linerless. Also the Manix Backlock and Native5 are both linerless G10 knives.
I hope to see similar construction used in models in my desired size range. Some of the first Spydercos I feel in love with were the original Millie, Paramilitary and Yojimbo. G10 scaled knives with nested, or no liners.

Those single liner Millies were feathers. The size to weight ratio and ergonomics of that knife are basically why I'm into Spyderco.
vivi

Post by vivi »

BravoTango wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:10 am
I don't think anyone really wanted heavier, however I can see how many folks value the rigidity of liners, including myself. The Endura 4 is still a VERY lightweight knife in my opinion.
The E4 is a light knife for the size, but the E3 is lighter and meets all my needs. So for me, the liners in an Endura would be like adding steel liners to my lightweight running shoes. Yeah, they'll still be lighter than my winter boots....but why not take the liners out and enjoy an even lighter shoe with no performance sacrifices? So I buy Pacific Salts instead of E4 sprints.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:47 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:21 am
I'm not sure anyone asked for more weight, they asked for a stronger knife. The Salts are very durable but the same knife with steel liners will be that much more durable. They also flex less. It's a perception thing. I suspect much of it had to do with mounting clips, so now that we're seeing helicoils like the new lightweights are using for clip screws maybe we'll see less full linered knives. I would certainly welcome more solid G10.
In your opinion, what can an Endura 4 do that an Endura 3 cannot?

Realistically speaking, it can mount a clip in 4 positions instead of 2. Technically speaking it's significantly stronger in the pivot due to the steel liners. The question is, at what point does the blade snap or the pivot pin screws shear off, or would the linerless FRN handle fail before then? Either way once you get that far on either knife you've crossed over into wrong tool for the job territory and you should know better.

For the record I'm on your side, I was just answering your question. I'm all for linerless knives, or more specifically the least amount of liner possible...I think the Manix 2 LW is a good example of this, it has minimal liners just around the pivot pin and stop pin, so they add strength where it's needed the most and cut weight everywhere else. As long as you don't rely on the liners for clip mounting it's a perfect compromise.
~David
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

How does FRNor G10 fail when it does let go?
I’m betting it let’s go suddenly and if that’s the case I’d like liners there to support the scales
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Daveho wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:02 pm
I’m betting it let’s go suddenly and if that’s the case I’d like liners there to support the scales

I haven't seen either fail, I'd imagine they crack and snap. We did have a guy break the blade off a Manix 2 LW when it first came out but the handle was fine. I've done some fairly hard use with one and the only issue I had with it was hot spots from how square the handle is.
~David
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

In general I'm all for lightening products meant for daily carry. In reality the difference between my old Enduras and my current ones isn't noticeable in my pocket. I have a few of each and if it was a problem I'd carry the old ones. I like the newer ones a lot better and feel they hit the balance between strength and lightness. I'm usually for liners as long as they are done right. Too heavy and they are a problem but I haven't seen that in Spyderco yet. If I was into rock climbing I might sweat the difference in half ounces but I'm not and glad of it. :)

Joe
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:09 pm
Daveho wrote:

I haven't seen either fail, I'd imagine they crack and snap. We did have a guy break the blade off a Manix 2 LW when it first came out but the handle was fine. I've done some fairly hard use with one and the only issue I had with it was hot spots from how square the handle is.
True, I’m sure if you use knives as intended you never have an issue.
But watching folk on YouTube hammer knives into trees and standing/bouncing on them... common sense comes cheap but ain’t that’s common.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Daveho wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:21 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:09 pm
Daveho wrote:

True, I’m sure if you use knives as intended you never have an issue.
But watching folk on YouTube hammer knives into trees and standing/bouncing on them... common sense comes cheap but ain’t that’s common.

Yeah it's a touchy subject. I actually talked some trash about Jim Anderson once when he did a hard use test on a Manix 2 because I just didn't see the point. Now I've come to understand that it's beneficial to know what a tool's breaking point is so I would actually like to know how these materials fail even if I never push them that far. Some of it is just senseless abuse for the sake of getting video views but a proper test format can tell us a lot of useful information.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:10 pm
In general I'm all for lightening products meant for daily carry. In reality the difference between my old Enduras and my current ones isn't noticeable in my pocket. I have a few of each and if it was a problem I'd carry the old ones. I like the newer ones a lot better and feel they hit the balance between strength and lightness. I'm usually for liners as long as they are done right. Too heavy and they are a problem but I haven't seen that in Spyderco yet. If I was into rock climbing I might sweat the difference in half ounces but I'm not and glad of it. :)

Joe
You should give rock climbing a shot, it's one of the best ways to get a workout! :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:57 am
I think they messed up the native lw by doing the same thing. I loved my Native FRN with barrel clip

Am sure you're not the only one who did. Still, nothing pleases everyone. Heck there are folks who still lament the phasing out of the integral FRN clip versions of the Delica, Endura, and other early FRN models. As for the barrel bolt clips, I recall some folks didn't like them because the clip would chew up the FRN handle if the bolt got event the slightest bit loose.

Daveho wrote: How does FRNor G10 fail when it does let go?

As far as FRN goes, fittings may tear out of it under extreme conditions, you can soften it with excessive heat, but it will never break (unless perhaps you freeze it first).

Some years ago, I had the FRN handle on an Atlantic Salt replaced with Birdseye Maple over ti liners by Steve Rice. He cut the FRN handle into three pieces, two slabs and the backspacer, to use as templates for the liners, scales, and ti backspacer. When he sent me the finished knife, he included the two FRN handle slabs. I bent one, repeatedly, so that one end touched the other. G-10 may be harder to bend, but I'd lay odds it would snap long before bending that far.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I really dont like the new native's clip and no more swedge. Either with wire clip would be better
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut