Spyderco Police SS New

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
des3676

Spyderco Police SS New

Post by des3676 »

Hi,
I purchased the stainless steel police as my first Spyderco knife as well as a Tatanka. The lock on the Tatanka is obviously in a different league as the blade on that knife doesn't move in any direction and the lock is super solid.
Regarding the police, I was wondering if the blade on this knife should scrape the edge when opening it right handed. The blade is not completely centred, it is slightly off to side so if I open it right handed it scrapes a bit on the stainless steel, if I open it left handed no issue. That said, when closing the blade it's not off centre such that it hits the handle of the knife, so no scraping there... The knife is extremely slim so I imagine getting a perfectly centred one might be to much to ask. Is this normal when opening?

I also read a number of posts about vertical play, and mine has this too, a distinct click when you apply downward force (not much) on the blade on a chopping board for example, there's a noticeable movement, and at the same time I can feel the back lock metal bit drop down a little bit. From what I've read it seems there is no fixing this sort of thing as the knife is completely sealed,and possibly this is something that this type of lock does inherently. Wondering whether I should get it looked at. Any thoughts appreciated.
thanks,
Des
TazKristi

Re: Spyderco Police SS New

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, des3676:
Welcome to the Spyderco forum. Based on what you're describing I would suggest that you send your Police Model in for evaluation with our Warranty & Repair department. You'll find all of the information that you need here, https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/.

I would also ask, where did you purchase the Police Model? Was it from an authorized Spyderco dealer?

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Gevatter

Post by Gevatter »

Is vertical bladeplay a warranty case?
Some people say it is common with back locks and seem to be okay with it.
I have two Enduras and two Calypso sprints and they are rock solid in any direction. I would be annoyed if not.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Gevatter wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:07 pm
Is vertical bladeplay a warranty case?
Some people say it is common with back locks and seem to be okay with it.
I have two Enduras and two Calypso sprints and they are rock solid in any direction. I would be annoyed if not.
It's very common in Spyderco lockbacks for the blade to wiggle slightly when you put prrssure on the cutting edge. I've been using the same Police for a decade and it has had flawless lock performance despite having a bit of wiggle.
:unicorn
des3676

Post by des3676 »

Thanks for the info vivi, Kristi I am in australia so sending it to spyderco in the US is not practical, however I did purchase it from a authorised spyderco dealer here in Aus. I've since sent it in and they will replace it under warranty I believe. Was just curious to know if other people see the same thing, with this type of lock/knife that is. Thanks des.