Anticipation: For The GAUNTLET & GALLEY V kits??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Anticipation: For The GAUNTLET & GALLEY V kits??

Post by JD Spydo »

And "Sir-Mike" you are not the only one that likes an edge a bit more toothy and more of a bite on it. And you are probably on the right path by using nothing more abrasive that a Spyderco FINE stone. There are certain blade steels that I find work better with a less smooth edge. Take the old AUS-8 blade steel for instance>> I actually find that leaving it with a more "toothy" edge seems to work better with that steel. Albeit I've found that more than one of these newer Supersteels seem to do better with an Ultra-Fine stone.

I even have an old kitchen/culinary knife with a carbon steel blade that works best when I use nothing but a Spyderco medium/gray stone. I've never found a stainless steel that a medium/gray stone works good but I have found at least 2 to 3 carbon steel blades that take a really toothy but yet great cutting edge with the medium/gray stone. Hey my philosophy in life has always been "WHATEVER WORKS"
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

@JD Spydo

I often stopped after just the medium on a sak or mt as that makes it plenty sharp for my needs. I haven't carried a dedicated folder for some time now! I am not a steel guru or one that has to have the latest and greatest supersteel but I do know that my PM2 with 204p which probably isn't a supersteel has no issue when I just go up to the fine stone at most. :)

It seems like to me that Sal posted the approximate grip on the medium, fine and UF at 600, 1800 and 2000 respectively so there is not much difference in the F and UF.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Spyderco medium/gray stone is about the equivalent to a lot of fine stones of other manufacturers. Which leads me to one of the very few complaints I've ever had about any of Spyderco's great sharpening equipment>> They just don't have any stones that are in the coarse or extra-coarse range of grit selection.

But their Ultra-Fine is one of the very best in that grit selection IMO. I want an Ultra-Fine GOLDENSTONE and I do hope that the GAUNTLET and the new GALLEY V will both have Ultra-Fine stones available in those kits.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Looks like it should be here soon. It's definitely a must buy now that I've seen it.
Justin
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

20o stand :(
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

So where is the Galley V?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:03 pm
Well I'm just like you in wondering when ( if ever) we are going to finally get to test drive these new sharpening tools of Spyderco's? I've been waiting for and anticipating the GAUNTLET for the past two years now. A good friend of mine was at the 2017 BLADE Show and he said that the Spyderco booth had a prototype of the GAUNTLET set up at that show. You would think it must have been on the verge of release at that time.

It's anybody's guess but my guess is there must be some manufacturing problems involved. We on the consumer end of this must realize that it does take a lot of work and preparation to bring new products to market. But I do hope that the time delays are coming to an end. Because I own just about every sharpening tool that Spyderco has ever made and I'm very much looking forward to all these new sharpening tools in Spyderco's product pipeline. Truly I'm hoping we'll see it at least by next spring or sooner.

Hey, JD! I think you and I have had this discussion about the Galley V and the cats-eye stones for over ten years! Like you, I owned one of the original Galley V sets, but when I moved houses, I accidentally left the base screwed to my benchtop, then promptly lost the stones...

...And I've been wishing Sal would release a cats-eye profile set ever since! :cool:

TedP