Anticipation: For The GAUNTLET & GALLEY V kits??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Anticipation: For The GAUNTLET & GALLEY V kits??

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey I hate to keep asking this question so much and I know we've got to be patient but is there any idea when are we going to get a chance to buy either or both the GAUNTLET or the new GALLEY V sharpening kits? I even got my old ( late 1990s era) GALLEY V kit out 2 days ago just thinking what this new GALLEY V kit is going to be like.

And I'm truly on pins and needles wondering what this new GAUNTLET Kit is going to be like for sharpening serrations, Recurves and Hawkbill blades.

I bet I'm not the only one who is wondering when we will get a chance to try these new sharpening sharpening tools? Who else is anticipating these new sharpening tools?
jezabel

Re: Anticipation: For The GAUNTLET & GALLEY V kits??

Post by jezabel »

I’m not far off dropping some coin on on some more sharpening gear, luckily found some more 701 profiles locally... I might pick up an 11’ coarse DMT while I’m at it. Where’s the hype on the Gauntlet JD?? This is the first I’ve heard of it.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Apparently this patent was sold to Lansky and can still be bought as the Fold-A-Vee. I would be happy with a folding Sharpmaker stone holder... something just like this that folds closed and opens to a V that fits different Sharpmaker rods. That way we can choose what grits we want to pack around with us.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fold-a-vee.145417/

Discussion on BF has some interesting info, dated now of course.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jezabel wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:53 am
I’m not far off dropping some coin on on some more sharpening gear, luckily found some more 701 profiles locally... I might pick up an 11’ coarse DMT while I’m at it. Where’s the hype on the Gauntlet JD?? This is the first I’ve heard of it.

J
The GAUNTLET system itself has been developed for quite some time now. However they seem to be having some difficulties bringing it to market. I hate to say anything specific because I've heard at least 10 or more explanations as to why they are delaying the GAUNTLET and the New Galley V kit both being released. I know for a fact that they had a prototype of the GAUNTLET at the Spyderco booth at the 2017 BLADE Show because a good friend of mine who went there and saw it and looked at it for a for a short time while it was on display there.

Spyderco occasionally comes out and says something to the effect of "It Won't Be Too Much Longer". But it's been at least 6 months or so since the last time I've heard anyone comment on it. My friend who was at that BLADE show said it was a really interesting looking system and it looked like it had all kinds of different ways to sharpen different types of knives. But he wasn't really specific and he didn't take any photos of it so I really can't say anything precisely. But I do know that I want one because I've just loved all my Spyderco sharpening equipment. I remember back in the late 90s it seemed like it took forever to get my hands on a 204 Sharpmaker when it first came to market.

I wish I could tell you more and I do hope that someone chimes in that actually has more info. I'm hoping it will be this year sometime when they release one or both of the new kits.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:33 am
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fold-a-vee.145417/

Discussion on BF has some interesting info, dated now of course.
Oh REALLY!!!??? No I think you all got your wires crossed. Just look at the dates on that thread you all pulled up off of Bladeforums>> that thread was back in 1999-2000. I'm talking about the GAUNTLET system that has been on display at the BLADE Show as recently as June, 2017. Also it hasn't been that long ago that Sal announced the new version of the GALLEY V kit to also be released soon too. When he mentioned the new Galley V he also said that the GAUNTLET was soon to come as well.

No the FOLD A VEE was a long, long time ago. Those are 2 totally different animals all together. GOOD Lord!! that was 17-18 years ago. The GAUNTLET system is a lot newer than that.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think we confused it with the Galley V ...I've never heard of that one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m interested. No need to get excited.
vivi

Post by vivi »

pics? Been hearing cryptic mentions of both for years but never any photos.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I'm definitely interested in the Cat Eye stones and would certainly buy it if for no other reason than to use on my PE Tasman Salt.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:05 pm
I'm definitely interested in the Cat Eye stones and would certainly buy it if for no other reason than to use on my PE Tasman Salt.
Now I do remember Sal saying that the new GALLEY V kit will have those same type "Cat's Eye" stones and you all will love those. They are great for sharpening recurve blades and it's the one stone I use to sharpen my Dodo models with. I don't have any pics of the GAUNTLET but I'm sure that Spyderco does because they have had prototypes of the GAUNTLET at the 2017 BLADE Show that I know of. I'm sure Spyderco has some pics of the unit if they would be so kind to share them with us.

I'm just really confused as to what the hold up is :confused: Because even in 2017 there were 2 times when they said they were close to releasing it :confused: >> Now I've not seen any pictures of the New GALLEY V unit. But the 1998, 1999 and the 1997 dealers catalogs all had pics of the old GALLEY V units. I got mine from Spyderco in late 1999 and they were closing them out and they also sold me an extra set of those Cat's Eye stones which I still have and still use. You guys are going to love those I can assure you. They are great for sharpening PE Recurves, PE Hawkbills and it's the tool I mainly use on my blue PE Dodo and it works great.

I was hoping that someone would have some recent information on both of the new kits by now. I can't for the life of me understand why it's taking so long for Spyderco to get out the GAUNTLET kit :confused: especially when it was on exhibit at the 2017 BLADE Show :confused: We've been talking about it on the forum for at least two years now. I hope they get their problems with the two units solved because I'm really looking forward to getting both of them.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Still nothing yet, huh?

Wow, this Gauntlet has been mentioned/discussed for quite some time now and it seems like it should have been out by now! What's up Spyderco? Any updated info?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sir_mike wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:01 pm
Still nothing yet, huh?

Wow, this Gauntlet has been mentioned/discussed for quite some time now and it seems like it should have been out by now! What's up Spyderco? Any updated info?
Well I'm just like you in wondering when ( if ever) we are going to finally get to test drive these new sharpening tools of Spyderco's? I've been waiting for and anticipating the GAUNTLET for the past two years now. A good friend of mine was at the 2017 BLADE Show and he said that the Spyderco booth had a prototype of the GAUNTLET set up at that show. You would think it must have been on the verge of release at that time.

It's anybody's guess but my guess is there must be some manufacturing problems involved. We on the consumer end of this must realize that it does take a lot of work and preparation to bring new products to market. But I do hope that the time delays are coming to an end. Because I own just about every sharpening tool that Spyderco has ever made and I'm very much looking forward to all these new sharpening tools in Spyderco's product pipeline. Truly I'm hoping we'll see it at least by next spring or sooner.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:03 pm
sir_mike wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:01 pm
Still nothing yet, huh?

Well I'm just like you in wondering when ( if ever) we are going to finally get to test drive these new sharpening tools of Spyderco's? I've been waiting for and anticipating the GAUNTLET for the past two years now. A good friend of mine was at the 2017 BLADE Show and he said that the Spyderco booth had a prototype of the GAUNTLET set up at that show. You would think it must have been on the verge of release at that time.

It's anybody's guess but my guess is there must be some manufacturing problems involved. We on the consumer end of this must realize that it does take a lot of work and preparation to bring new products to market. But I do hope that the time delays are coming to an end. Because I own just about every sharpening tool that Spyderco has ever made and I'm very much looking forward to all these new sharpening tools in Spyderco's product pipeline. Truly I'm hoping we'll see it at least by next spring or sooner.
Yes I would think that it should have been out by now too since it was talked about for so long I am sure the plan or should I say design was set. That said if there is production issues for this long since it was initially discussed then this maybe a failed project or the project was never put forward. I guess I will have to still use the 701MF set. :)
Attachments
701MF_Front.jpg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There are a lot of people wanting to see the 701 Profiles return>> I would like to see them in at least 6 grit selections just like I would like to see for the GOLDENSTONE. Most people can't even imagine how genius of a tool that the 701 Profile is. There are so many tools you can sharpen with it. I'm surprised that it ever got discontinued at all. I got to buy 2 extra sets when they announced the halt in production of the 701 Profiles. I use two of my sets almost 3 to 5 times a week.

But the mystery surrounding the GAUNTLET is really strange to say the least :confused:
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

I need to find the 701MF instructions in a PDF format! Anyone still have one?

Thx.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sir_mike wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:23 pm

Thx.
I truly wish that Sal or someone with Spyderco would do a comprehensive instructional video for all their sharpening tools. I'm including the 302 Benchstones, the Slipstone, the 701 Profiles and even the 400 series of the small ceramic files which I find myself using more and more. I'm frustrated to my friend and I've been waiting for that GAUNTLET system for over 2 years now and I do hope they get that one out the door before Spring time 2019.

I'm also waiting for that video Sal was going to do for the GOLDENSTONE. I do think that GOLDENSTONE has a lot of ways to use it. And I'm hoping they will introduce more grit selections on that one as well.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:40 pm
sir_mike wrote:

Thx.
I truly wish that Sal or someone with Spyderco would do a comprehensive instructional video for all their sharpening tools. I'm including the 302 Benchstones, the Slipstone, the 701 Profiles and even the 400 series of the small ceramic files which I find myself using more and more. I'm frustrated to my friend and I've been waiting for that GAUNTLET system for over 2 years now and I do hope they get that one out the door before Spring time 2019.

I'm also waiting for that video Sal was going to do for the GOLDENSTONE. I do think that GOLDENSTONE has a lot of ways to use it. And I'm hoping they will introduce more grit selections on that one as well.
Once can only hope that someday that will get done! :) I don't have any of the 302's but kinda wish I had the medium and fine ones. I don't really need or think I would use the UF one but if I found some deal on the trio I might have to live with them all! Of course, I am not spending any money on sharpening gear til something new comes out!

Those 400 series ones would be another that should have been made in a medium grit also. IMO.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sir_mike wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:23 am
JD Spydo wrote:
sir_mike wrote:

Thx.

Once can only hope that someday that will get done! :) I don't have any of the 302's but kinda wish I had the medium and fine ones. I don't really need or think I would use the UF one but if I found some deal on the trio I might have to live with them all! Of course, I am not spending any money on sharpening gear til something new comes out!

Those 400 series ones would be another that should have been made in a medium grit also. IMO.
OH I think you would change your mind about the Ultra-Fine 302 Benchstone if you ever worked with one. It's one of my crown jewels for doing finishing touches on a super sharp fixed blade.

There's a trick to using Spyderco's Ultra-Fine stones. At first you want to put just a bit of pressure on it and then as you continue make your passes with less pressure until you are just merely polishing the edge. I've gotten some excellent results that way. I wouldn't be without my Spyderco Ultra-Fine stones.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:58 am
sir_mike wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:23 am
JD Spydo wrote:
sir_mike wrote:

Thx.

OH I think you would change your mind about the Ultra-Fine 302 Benchstone if you ever worked with one. It's one of my crown jewels for doing finishing touches on a super sharp fixed blade.

There's a trick to using Spyderco's Ultra-Fine stones. At first you want to put just a bit of pressure on it and then as you continue make your passes with less pressure until you are just merely polishing the edge. I've gotten some excellent results that way. I wouldn't be without my Spyderco Ultra-Fine stones.
I know what they can do but I am just not into a polished edge. The Fine works great for me and even though I have the UF rods for the Sharpmaker, I bet they haven't been used more than three times since I have had them! lol