Lil temperance 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Lil temperance 3

Post by apollo »

I am thinking of saving up for this new generation lil temp.
But before i do are there people around that have a new gen 3 and the older ones?
How do they compare? Do still feel like little tanks that really fill up your hand so nicely?

I have an S30V and a 440v Rhino and i just love them so much i just can not really use them. I carry the leafblade around the house sometimes but it does not see any real use so i am hoping a new gen 3 can give me the feeling i want of using the knife. :o :)

Also are there any plans Sal has mentioned about the Rhino is it also coming back to life again if so i would freak out even more. :D

Here are pictures of my 2 lil's
sal

Re: Lil temperance 3

Post by sal »

Hi Apollo,

No plans at this time. The "3" isn't selling well, probably due to the high cost and it's less radical than the original. We had planned an FRN version, but that's now in question.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:18 am
Hi Apollo,

No plans at this time. The "3" isn't selling well, probably due to the high cost and it's less radical than the original. We had planned an FRN version, but that's now in question.

sal

That's a real shame. I'm sure you have your reasons but I wish this one was made in Golden or wherever it could be made cheaper so that it sold better. I think it's a brilliant design. I would be very interested in a 3.75 inch version, but that is also pretty similar to the Caribbean. Hands down my favorite feature of this knife is where the handle and blade meet, the way the edge is so close to the handle without the need for a choil. That makes for a really efficient design and I'd love to see it in more models. I also like the neutral "fixed bladeish" handle, no pesky finger grooves to deal with so it will fit different hand sizes universally. It may be a case where it seems too vanilla and boring to some since it doesn't have any extravagant curves and points popping out of the handle or a funky shaped blade, but it comes together to make a very good user.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Death by Japanese G10.

Seems like a few models are a victim of this. Bummer, I was hoping for a frn D’Allara.

How was the Ouroboros suppose to compete with the Sliverax? Some models just don’t seem to get a fair start.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:16 am
Death by Japanese G10.

Seems like a few models are a victim of this. Bummer, I was hoping for a frn D’Allara.

How was the Ouroboros suppose to compete with the Sliverax? Some models just don’t seem to get a fair start.

Man you're not kidding. I think the Kiwi 4 suffered the same fate and has so much potential if it had gotten some fancier grips or even just a stainless version like the original. It does seem like Japanese G10 is a sure fire way to discontinue a knife prematurely.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I’ve wanted the LT3 since it was in development, but I’ve never got around to getting one. The price is what always drives me away. It looks like a great knife, so hopefully I end up with one some day. I’d love it as a Golden model! Then we’d have all kinds of awesome Lil temp sprints!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:32 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:16 am
Death by Japanese G10.

Man you're not kidding. I think the Kiwi 4 suffered the same fate and has so much potential if it had gotten some fancier grips or even just a stainless version like the original. It does seem like Japanese G10 is a sure fire way to discontinue a knife prematurely.
Both the Kiwi4 and LilTemp3 are amongst my favourites. It’s a real shame folks won’t get to try them.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Yep, I think Darby nailed it. I don't think the problem with the Lil Temp 3 is the design, it's the materials and cost in this case, at least among the "afi" crowd, who I would imagine is the main market for the design. (No idea if Spyderco has any way to know anything about who the folks who purchased the previous Lil Temp models were...probably hard to quantify.)

A contoured FRN version that was priced in line with other FRN models would still be very appealing to me, but unfortunately it's understandable if slow sales would make it not worth taking the risk on investing in the tooling to produce it.
Tim
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I'd been looking forward to the Lil'Temp 3 since I handled the prototype. Liked that it was VG10 steel as I was hoping it would keep the price down some. Then it got changed to S30V, and though not happy for the change, I still planned to get it.

And I got it & I love the knife.

BUT

I find myself really only carrying it in the cooler months when I'm wearing jeans/khakis. It's a bit too noticeable, and overkill for my needs as a work EDC. Summertime in shorts it's a pocketweight. To touch on something Lance/Surfingringo pointed out in another thread, I find myself grabbing my Manix LW more due to the lighter weight & how it seems to carry better in my pocket.

Definitely sad to hear that the FRN version is unlikely because I think it would be a better carrying knife.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I own both the originals and the Lil Temp 3. IMHO, the 3 does fit the line set by the originals. It has a similar hand filling handle design and the blade is a stout short tank that slices nicely. However, I do appreciate the radical 3D design of the originals a lot better. The 1 & 2 have this 'custom feel' that makes them great collector pieces. The 3 is lefty friendly and would probably fit more hands better, but it is plain for a collector. And then the pricing doesn't help I suppose. I'd love to see both a 3 with a rhino/bowie blade and a 3,5 inch blade version of the Lil' Temp 3.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram