Cruwear Fixed Blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Calicoast

Cruwear Fixed Blade?

Post by Calicoast »

At one time (before being a steel snob) I remember owning a Gerber Armorhide bird and trout knife. I can't recall if it was Vascowear, but it was a great knife. Being in the same steel family, I have really been impressed with my Cruwear PM2. The toughness, how it sharpens, and I know it's a tool steel, but seems stainless to me.

4.5+ blade full tang Cruwear w/ Micarta in my mind would be a great seller. Hope we see this soon.
C
bearfacedkiller

Re: Cruwear Fixed Blade?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Calicoast wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:33 am
At one time (before being a steel snob) I remember owning a Gerber Armorhide bird and trout knife. I can't recall if it was Vascowear, but it was a great knife. Being in the same steel family, I have really been impressed with my Cruwear PM2. The toughness, how it sharpens, and I know it's a tool steel, but seems stainless to me.

4.5+ blade full tang Cruwear w/ Micarta in my mind would be a great seller. Hope we see this soon.
C
Fixed blade Mili in Cruwear and micarta would be amazing.
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

Micarta +1 for sure
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

While I like where your head is at with Cruwear, I would rather see Spyderco focus their efforts on putting more Cruwear, 3V, and 4V into their incredible folders like the Military, Native, Native LW, Para 3, Shaman, and Manix Backlock. You can already get a USA-Made Cruwear fixed blade from Bark River (Bravo 1 and Bravo 1.25) with a million different beautiful scale choices such as Micarta, Burl, Pinecone, Buffalo Horn, etc as well as many choices of blade shapes and grinds. So basically in order to compete with this insane amount of choice already offered by Bark River and other Fixed Blade makers, they would have to come up with a USA Made fixed blade with a universally loved blade shape and scale material (and color), and come in at a similar price point, and include a high quality leather sheath.

I feel like they would do much better to offer something truly unique like the Cruwear Micarta Shaman that people are clamoring for, or offer some traditionally fixed blade steels like 3V, 4V, 01, D2, 1095, A2, etc in one of their popular folders like the Para 3. The Para 3 is so hot right now you could sell out a sprint run with a blade made of lead, so why not put out some sprints in 3V and 4V and test the waters? I know they would have no problem selling them. The supply of fixed blades in these steels is now above the demand. While you couldn't keep a 3V fixed blade in stock a few years ago, they are easy to find now. As are Cruwear fixed blades. There are no 3V and 4V folders out there, but I promise there are people waiting for them with credit cards in hand.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:18 am
While I like where your head is at with Cruwear, I would rather see Spyderco focus their efforts on putting more Cruwear, 3V, and 4V into their incredible folders like the Military, Native, Native LW, Para 3, Shaman, and Manix Backlock. You can already get a USA-Made Cruwear fixed blade from Bark River (Bravo 1 and Bravo 1.25) with a million different beautiful scale choices such as Micarta, Burl, Pinecone, Buffalo Horn, etc as well as many choices of blade shapes and grinds. So basically in order to compete with this insane amount of choice already offered by Bark River and other Fixed Blade makers, they would have to come up with a USA Made fixed blade with a universally loved blade shape and scale material (and color), and come in at a similar price point, and include a high quality leather sheath.

I feel like they would do much better to offer something truly unique like the Cruwear Micarta Shaman that people are clamoring for, or offer some traditionally fixed blade steels like 3V, 4V, 01, D2, 1095, A2, etc in one of their popular folders like the Para 3. The Para 3 is so hot right now you could sell out a sprint run with a blade made of lead, so why not put out some sprints in 3V and 4V and test the waters? I know they would have no problem selling them. The supply of fixed blades in these steels is now above the demand. While you couldn't keep a 3V fixed blade in stock a few years ago, they are easy to find now. As are Cruwear fixed blades. There are no 3V and 4V folders out there, but I promise there are people waiting for them with credit cards in hand.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I am fully aware that Bark River makes Cruwear fixed blades, but as a Spyderco Fan,user, and collector I would absolutely LOVE to have a Spyderco Cruwear fixed blade. I actually wish, and hope that Spyderco will put more of their high end steels they have in stock towards fixed blade production. Leaning in that direction would provide the hard users that happen to be spyderco fanboys a chance to have their cake and eat it too. Their are already plenty of little folders for the urban dwellers to open mail with.
Nate

Post by Nate »

It's 3.5" instead of 4.5," but wanted to offer a reminder that you can go to the SFO right now and get a mule in Micro-melt PD1, which is essentially Carpenter's version of Cruwear. Then put any scales you want on it. :)
:spyder:
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Nate wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:48 am
It's 3.5" instead of 4.5," but wanted to offer a reminder that you can go to the SFO right now and get a mule in Micro-melt PD1, which is essentially Carpenter's version of Cruwear. Then put any scales you want on it. :)
I thought these were sold out / maybe a system glitch?
Might have to snag me one of these before they are out.

Think the Temperance model, w/ Micarta - same shape as my Jumpmaster 2, in Cruwear would be very nice.

I haven't tried any 3V or 4V, but wouldn't that be a pain to sharpen in the woods, etc?
Cruwear loves the stones.
C
Nate

Post by Nate »

Calicoast wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:27 pm

I never saw them listed as out of stock, but it's possible there was a glitch. This did just happen with LC200N: they were showing out of stock until someone called and they updated the inventory.

I double checked PD1 just now and it does show as available.
:spyder:
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Nate wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:15 pm
Calicoast wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:27 pm

I never saw them listed as out of stock, but it's possible there was a glitch. This did just happen with LC200N: they were showing out of stock until someone called and they updated the inventory.

I double checked PD1 just now and it does show as available.

Could be wrong, but I checked few weeks ago and the only mule available was A11.

Anyone with experience sharpening 3V /4V, vs Cruwear?
C
bearfacedkiller

If you can sharpen Cruwear then you can sharpen 4V. In my experience the biggest difference between the two is corrosion resistance. My 4V Mule has seen a lot of use.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd rather see Cruwear in a really big chopper. I think it's strengths are much better in something more machete like. I haven't really found it to be ideal in a folder--it's strengths just don't have as much room to shine. Same goes for 3V and 52100 (although I have to admit I really love the KW 52100 Manix).

All of which means that I'm with CaliCoast. At least 4.5", fixed blade, full tang. :)
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:17 pm
I'd rather see Cruwear in a really big chopper. I think it's strengths are much better in something more machete like. I haven't really found it to be ideal in a folder--it's strengths just don't have as much room to shine. Same goes for 3V and 52100 (although I have to admit I really love the KW 52100 Manix).

All of which means that I'm with CaliCoast. At least 4.5", fixed blade, full tang. :)
Who do I have to convince to make this happen!?
:) lol.
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

I'm interested in any cruwear fixed blade as long as they aren't "choppers" or bigger than 4 inches or so.
bearfacedkiller

I dream about a Cruwear Temperance2. I like 5 inch blades.
-Darby
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Calicoast wrote:
At one time (before being a steel snob) I remember owning a Gerber Armorhide bird and trout knife. I can't recall if it was Vascowear, but it was a great knife.
I've tried finding out more about those Gerber Armorhide knives. Closest I could find, someone said they were M2 tool steel with chrome plating on the blade.

Got the impression they were relatively high hardness too.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

shunsui wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:41 pm
Calicoast wrote:
At one time (before being a steel snob) I remember owning a Gerber Armorhide bird and trout knife. I can't recall if it was Vascowear, but it was a great knife.
I've tried finding out more about those Gerber Armorhide knives. Closest I could find, someone said they were M2 tool steel with chrome plating on the blade.

Got the impression they were relatively high hardness too.
They were some nice knives from Gerber - Portland, OR stamped on them. My older brother had the hunter model and he gifted me the bird and trout model. Thats what got me into fixed blade knives. I also had a Sportsman 1 pocket knife at one time, but I think that was 440C?
It was hard as a rock, I remember it being really difficult to sharpen.

I think the Temperance 2 specs look good to me: Full flat + micarta. Micarta just feels really good in hand.

Overall Length
9.75" (247 mm)
Blade Length
4.875" (124 mm)
Steel
VG-10 / Cruwear Perhaps???
C
Last edited by Calicoast on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Nate wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:48 am
Good call, if you want a shorter blade. I have one and it is very nice. But I still want a 4.5" with a mili-shaped blade (more useful point), not leaf.
argyle1812

Post by argyle1812 »

I would love to see a larger fixed blade in Cruwear