MBC knives as utility / EDC knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

MBC knives as utility / EDC knives

Post by vivi »

I don't carry knives for self defense, but I can't help but appreciate the features and lines of many of Spydercos MBC, or Martial Blade Craft, themed designs.

- The Lil Temp had an exceptionally ergonomic handle, and a nice blade size / shape for EDC.

- The P'kal was the debut of the CBBL, the only knife I know of with a removable wave, and one of the first, if not the first, wire clip Spydercos

- The ATR features the Cobra Hood, which aside from aiding deployment, improves ergonomics when applying pressure to the thumb ramp. It was also one of few integral compression lock designs.

- The Szabo Folder is the only compression lock knife with a self close mechanism. It's also got incredible lines, and the second run has the best CF handles on any Spyderco to date IMO.

- The Ronin 2 is one of the only fixed blades I've found in CTSBD1, which is marketed as a low cost budget steel but in my use it behaves a lot like VG10 but sharpens more easily, it's really good stuff. The Ronin 2 is thin, compact and light weight, making it practical for EDC.

- The Chinook 4 is not in my collection, but it tempts me. Only the second knife to utilize the power lock, and the streamlining that's been done over the different Chinook iterations speaks to me.

Who else finds themselves attracted to the MBC oriented designs, despite having no interest in martial blade applications?
:unicorn
sv4

Re: MBC knives as utility / EDC knives

Post by sv4 »

I have absolutely no interest in martial blade applications, but I do own 2 Lil Temps (1 leaf, 1 rhino), a serrated titanium handled ATR and a Ronin..
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I love my P'kal so much that I decided to purchase a backup. It's a terrific package opener and I find it useful for quite a few of my mundane tasks.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I’m with you Vivi. I will be picking up a Ronin and Yo2. I’ve bumped the Yo2 down my list for a while now, but this M4 release will be too hard to resist. Anything wharnie is appealing to me.

I had a Karahawk for a while with this very thought in mind. It’s a sweet little PE hawkbill for utility.

I guess the Lil Matriarch counts too. It’s a pretty useful utility design with the recurve, fine point and tidy Delica sized package. I’ve enjoyed carrying that one.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it really comes down to it I will use whatever I have to defend myself. I don't carry a tactical pen but I'll get the job done with my Space Pen if I have to. Much of what makes a "self defense knife" better also makes it a better knife overall, like stronger locks or better grip or cutting leverage. I'd have a hard time using just a karambit for EDC but most other SD oriented knives seem to also just be good knives overall. Basically the characteristics that make a knife cut up people usually apply just as well to cutting up other things.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I keep meaning to finish my other Yo2 project (I finished the all black s90v one a while ago). I still need to dye the brown handles from the s90v yo2 blue and put them on the s30v yo2. And order some new handle screws to replace the ones I wrecked doing tge other handle swap. I tried to power through red locktite on the s30v model, this was a mistake.
Anyways when I'm finished I intend to turn the S30V model into a work knife. The S90V is a dedicated MBC knife, as is my P'kal. The odd thing is though, I don't much carry dedicated MBC knives lately. After studying the CBC/CBC advanced videos I realized I could use those techniques with most of the knives I carry for utility. Obviously a dedicated MBC knife is best for MBC, I feel more prepared carrying a Yo2 than I do a Tasman, but I also feel confident a Tasman (or whardelica, para3, native, etc.) could function just fine as an MBC tool. I've stopped letting perfect be the enemy of good.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I tried carrying the Yo2 for a couple weeks to test this idea. The Yo2 as really totally adequate for about 75% of my EDC tasks. I had trouble with small precise cuts (hard to choke up) and deep push cuts (which seems weird to me--I thought the Yo2 would be great for that, but I had trouble keeping them as precise as I do with my Manix2).

I don't know. Maybe I'll try again, but at this point I can't see any reason for me to carry a Yo2 for SD. If I'm somewhere I can't carry a firearm, it's usually also somewhere that won't allow me to carry the Yo2.

I really love the esthetic feel of the Yo2 though. It's a really fun knife. :)
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Can’t say that I have tried them all, but the lil temp 3 has become one of my favorites. I love that knife. It’s a little thick behind the edge and the tip could be more pointy for edc tasks, but otherwise, it’s great. Handle is fantastic and get full cutting edge unlike so many that have a choil.
vivi

Post by vivi »

SF Native wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:46 pm
Can’t say that I have tried them all, but the lil temp 3 has become one of my favorites. I love that knife. It’s a little thick behind the edge and the tip could be more pointy for edc tasks, but otherwise, it’s great. Handle is fantastic and get full cutting edge unlike so many that have a choil.
I still need to try one of those.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would be all over a 3.75 inch Lil Temp.

Then again that's basically the Caribbean.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

I don't own one myself, but no one has mentioned the Civilian.

Nor has anyone mentioned a Police or Ulize which I have owned.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BdL2ZywkydKdDLSJA

My tastes run more conventional with the Starmate and the EuroEdge.
I don't carry them much but I like the looks of them.
So, no I don't use them for utility but I suppose one could.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LuiAFveWezKbLWGm6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vWD8HoC9piUzz1tx8

If a person is willing to go small, the slim little Double Bevel might appeal
if not off put by a Tanto blade. It is a beauty and a sweet handy size.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QrbJkyrn5BfQfWRf7

No one wants to get cut or stabbed so I suppose any utility knife could be used in a pinch.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've always wanted to try the Ulize. Reminds me of the much loved Benchmade 710 in its blade but more aggressive, seemingly more ergonomic, and with a lock I much prefer.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:35 pm
I've always wanted to try the Ulize. Reminds me of the much loved Benchmade 710 in its blade but more aggressive, seemingly more ergonomic, and with a lock I much prefer.
The Ulize is very slim and light. I gave mine to my LEO brother-in-law, to whom I also had given a Police.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
ZeroRange

Post by ZeroRange »

I'm the opposite. I have been trained in using knives for self defense and I don't want to carry any knives associated with MBC or that look tactical. If I'm ever unfortunate enough to have to use knives on another human I don't want to look like that's all I use my knives for. One reason why I like the bright blue scales of the M390 Para 3 and the orange Rex 45.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

I liked the Orange Positron I gave to my daughter for its disarming look.

The same could be said for the original Rubicon, but once the blade is out
it's very intimidating in my opinion.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fd45cHSPBYxoYa5W8
vivi

Post by vivi »

Is the Police considered MBC? The Police 3 is one of my favorite Spydies. Almost bought an Ulize as well, it's another long knife that carries surprisingly well due to how slim it is - but I try to avoid PE recurves. More of a pain to reprofile, sharpen, etc.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:57 pm
SF Native wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:46 pm
I still need to try one of those.
I know you like big knives. You probably won’t like it. It’s a hand filling handle but probably too short for your tastes.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I love my Lil'Temp 2, but carry it less often due to weight. It sees more carry in the cooler months when I'm wearing jeans/pants more. Lately if I want to carry a bigger knife I carry my Manix LW. It carries very well despite it's size.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:35 pm
Glad you mentioned the ULIZE model because I'm not going to shut up about it. Because I still think that knife could have had a lot more EDC uses had it been offered in Spyderedge. Why they don't at least do one Spyderco "recurve" model in Spyderedge is just beyond me :confused: . Because curved blades and Spyderedges truly go great together>> just take a plain edged Hawkbill and get the same model of hawkbill in PE and then you tell me which one is the best? It won't take long to determine that the Spyderedge and curved blades are truly meant for each other.

Also I've had several of Spyderco's MBC rated folders over the years and most of them did make great EDC blades. Especially the C-60 Massad Ayoob model and the C-36 Military model. But I wouldn't stop there because there are several other models I could add to that list.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I know the types of models Vivi is referring to, but wasn't MBC a lock strength rating and not just meant/designed for self-defense applications? The LilTemp, Chinook, and I forget which others were considered MBC-rated, but I don't think many of the models mentioned in this thread were. I could be wrong.
In any case, in the spirit of the original question - I rarely am willing to carry a knife if it can't serve adequately (i.e. functions well) in the EDC role. I'm not a LEO and I want to always be able to argue credibly and honestly that the knife I carry serves a typical range of general-purpose cutting applications. One reason I do not ever carry any model that has blade markings or design that overtly emphasize weapony roles. Any tool can be used as a weapon, and of course a knife can, but if it does not function well in an EDC-utility role, I can't justify carrying it. Having said that, I really like the Yo2 and even LilT (I only have the original leaf model) as utility knives, although the LilT was too chunky for me to EDC.