Choosing from the final three

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Choosing from the final three

Post by MichaelScott »

As I have said before, I am reducing my Spydies to a final three knives. I have one more to pick. Sadly, I am passing on the Para 3 because of my self imposed size limitation, otherwise it would be in the running. Any comments, criticisms and recommendations are welcome. A light weight, all around knife with approximately a 2.5” blade is what I am looking for.

Current candidates in order of preference are: Chaparral FRN, Lil' Native, Lil' Lum

I’m asking because I would like to know others' experiences and recommendations who have or have had these knives. I’m most familiar with the Chaparral but have no direct experience with the others.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RickC27

Re: Choosing from the final three

Post by RickC27 »

You already know the greatness of the Chaparral...there lies your answer my friend! Such an amazing slicer in a rare/easy to sharpen stainless steel.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Chap might be the best user of that bunch but the Lil Lum is a really nice little knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

What do you think of the big belly on a small blade?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:54 pm

Current candidates in order of preference are: Chaparral FRN, Lil' Native, Lil' Lum

Native LW. It is my favorite model. I have 5 of them. They are perfect in every way. My only complaint about the Native LW is the lack of tool steel options. I'm selling my FRN Chappie as I thin out my collection as well. Lil' Lum was never on my radar.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:19 pm
MichaelScott wrote:

Native LW. It is my favorite model. I have 5 of them. They are perfect in every way. My only complaint about the Native LW is the lack of tool steel options. I'm selling my FRN Chappie as I thin out my collection as well. Lil' Lum was never on my radar.
You prefer the Native over the Chaparral. Can you say why? The Native has a blade longer than I am wanting but I would like to know why you rate it above the Chaparral.

Team Innovation
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:59 pm
What do you think of the big belly on a small blade?

I generally don't care for a lot of belly, but it does create more usable edge than a wharnie for example. That can be really beneficial in a small knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:35 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:19 pm
MichaelScott wrote:

You prefer the Native over the Chaparral. Can you say why? The Native has a blade longer than I am wanting but I would like to know why you rate it above the Chaparral.

Why I like the Native LW over the Chappie you ask? I like the fact the is a nice stout little knife. Very smooth. Very refined. Yet feels very very solid. I like the thicker profile. I like the thicker blade. I like that it is made in the USA. I prefer the bidirectional texture on the FRN. The chappie lockbar is more difficult to depress firmly (on my example at least) and the thin lockbar makes this difficulty in depressing actually quite uncomfortable as it digs into my thumb. All 5 of my Native LWs are perfect in every way and I couldn't really think of any way to improve it aside from offer more choices in tool steels. I do like wire clips, but i'm ok with the standard clip on the Native. Ill be getting the Native Salt in both PE and SE when they come out, and I will get any Native LW in a steel that I don't already have one in. Its really not a whole lot bigger or heavier than the Chappie, but it feels like a tank. Give me some good tough steels like Cruwear, 52100, and Rex45 and I wouldnt be afraid to use it for most any task. Its definitely the most underrated knife in Spyderco's lineup.

I like the Chappie overall, but not enough to keep it when there are so many other knives I like. The stiff thin lockbar was really the dealbreaker for me. It is a nice laser thin slicer if that it the type of knife you prefer, but I prefer something a little beefier. Two totally different knives really. Depends on if you want a dedicated super slicer or a more well rounded blade.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I feel like on the lil lum, though an interesting looking knife...being on the small side with no jimping on the top of the blade and no finger choil. Seems like it would feel odd and not very secure in a 3 finger grip. Though I've never handled one, that's what I think when looking at it compared to the other 2 options. Would love to hear some input from someone that has handled the lil lum.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

There is no question. The Chaparral is the best. It is the best pocket knife, period. It is an incredible slicer. It is super thin and carries extremely well. While it is almost as small as a Dragonfly, it has a more useable cutting edge. Forget the rest of them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've always thought the Lil' Lum was interesting but I haven't been intrigued by it enough to buy one. You already have a knife with a lot of belly (Rhino) so I say give the Chap LW or CF a try. I think it's the perfect small folder.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:18 pm
There is no question. The Chaparral is the best. It is the best pocket knife, period. It is an incredible slicer. It is super thin and carries extremely well. While it is almost as small as a Dragonfly, it has a more useable cutting edge. Forget the rest of them.

All of these comments on the Chaparral now have me second guessing my decision to sell it. I do really like it as a slicer. Maybe I will keep it for awhile as my dedicated cardboard slicer. I also think it would be a good knife to take with me when I go out to eat as I am alway cutting up food for my kids. The Chaparral seems like a good design for that task. If it was an LC200N Salt version it would really be perfect for restaurant carry! The lockbar seems to be loosening up ever so slightly as I have been opening and closing it all day. The action seems to be a lot smoother as well. Yep, its settled. Keeping the Chappie. :D

As for your question, it again depends on if your want a super thin slicer or a stout blade in a small package.
Kirko

Post by Kirko »

Lil Lum
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Kirko wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:14 pm
Lil Lum
Well, that's quite convincing.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I don't own any of those knives you mention Michael, but if I may I'll suggest the Chapparal because of the wide variety of beautiful handle materials available in that model. I've always liked the look of that Raffir Noble, and I think there is a water buffalo horn handled one in the works.

Of course, you used to own a Chapparal so maybe a better suggestion would be to try something different and see how you like it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I’m convinced. Chaparral FRN it will be. As someone pointed out, I already have a knife with a big belly, The Rhino. I think the Lil’ Lum is just too little and it also has that long, big belly. The Lil’ Native is very cool but it is somewhat chunky and I think the thin blade on the Chaparral will serve my needs better.

So, as soon as a few eBay sales come through I will be ordering one from SFO. I think I’m going to be a happy camper.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Team Innovation
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Lots of nice, slim blade options here! I have the Lum and the Chap, and the Chap is a champ.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:38 pm
I’m convinced. Chaparral FRN it will be. As someone pointed out, I already have a knife with a big belly, The Rhino. I think the Lil’ Lum is just too little and it also has that long, big belly. The Lil’ Native is very cool but it is somewhat chunky and I think the thin blade on the Chaparral will serve my needs better.

So, as soon as a few eBay sales come through I will be ordering one from SFO. I think I’m going to be a happy camper.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I'm sure you will like it. You can get one 20% off right now at Campsaver by the way. That's where I got mine using the coupon.

https://www.campsaver.com/spyderco-chaparral.html
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Another vote for the Chaparral.