Spydiechef CQI??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderman91

Spydiechef CQI??

Post by Spyderman91 »

So the chef has gone out of stock at most online retailers for roughly the 2nd time this year...
I noticed many sites don't say when they will be getting in another shipment, but Knifecenter has one pending which has been "Delayed" at this time.

Reading around on the Bladeforums I also noticed there is a "newer" CQI update (a ceramic ball detent) added to the Chef. GPKnives actually labeled their spiderchefs the "CQI" edition (to make it more confusing) and boasted about it in the item description. BladeHQ did not however, and neither did Knifecenter... but I assume their pending shipment is the CQI version.

I was fighting myself from getting the Chef, but seeing how these guys are silently disappearing from the market... and with this new edition making waves. I think it might be time to snag one... before they're gone and become another 400 to 500 dollar Slysz bowie.
Spyderman91

Re: Spydiechef CQI??

Post by Spyderman91 »

For those wondeirng, the new detent makes the chef truly 100% rust proof (to my understanding) this was one of the few if any areas where rust had the potential to form.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I want to get one, but I would have to be sure it's a CQI model.
Is there anything different on model number?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
PStone

Post by PStone »

Sumdumguy wrote: I want to get one, but I would have to be sure it's a CQI model.
Is there anything different on model number?
Look for date code DR or newer. Apr/2018
My old HQ date code was not cqi’d
Recently got the new CQI version, but called SFO first, and they verified DR is the new ceramic detent. The ball will also appear dull gray or black instead of shiny.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Thank you for the information Sumdumguy,

That clarifies the confusion I was having... due to GPKnive's web description, and Knifecenter's description not matching.
The good thing is, the Knifecenter customer service rep assured me that I could input special instructions on the predorder. To ensure that
the version is CQI before shipment... Will preorder later tonight. However, I'm sure the previous version is just as resilient as this one... but since I'm late to the party, might as well hop aboard.
Attachments
knifecenterchef.JPG
gpkniveschef.JPG
Big50

Post by Big50 »

This is a good thread!

Not knowing anything from nothing, I just happened to pick up a Chef at the end of April when they were briefly available.
Later, after they were gone again, I learned about the ceramic detent and was a bit regretful I didn’t wait a bit longer (maybe a tiny bit regretful, as I was still super happy with the knife).

Well, I just checked my box, code DR. Checked the knife, dark gray detent. Super cool!
I had no idea the brief run in April was a ceramic/QCI model.

With or without the QCI, it’s an amaxing knife. I can’t help but think it’ll be a classic.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Glad some people find this interesting,

I am certainly interested in LC200n, which is why I snagged a mule when they were still in stock >:)

but the chef keeps calling back to me... I wonder why there is a delay in the shipment though... (inside Spyder people anyone?)
I have already preordered and left instructions to knifecenter just standing by now for an update. On the subject of salt knives, I am extremely excited for the Native 5 salt to drop... but I couldn't wait any longer and saved my spot in line for the chef. I'm starting to see retailers stock less and less of this knife, and it definitely tinged my anxiety slightly.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Also, I agree with this knife becoming a classic given the design and materials used... Who doesn't want a knife impervious to the elements?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I was unaware that a ceramic detent ball was in the offing. Would original Chefs be retrofittable, I wonder.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

I hope there’s another shipment of these coming over from Taichung, soon.
I’m looking forward to using one.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I love the Spydiechef but what I really want to see is the Spydiechef 2 that we saw some prototype pics of recently. Longer blade with more of a point. Looks like a spydichef on steroids!

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spy ... e.1553471/
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Oh! That looks a little more like the name. Pretty sweet prototype.

Are these known for late lockup? Most of the ones I’ve looked at for sale are pretty “late.”
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

That prototype does appeal.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

mb1 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:22 pm
Are these known for late lockup? Most of the ones I’ve looked at for sale are pretty “late.”
I think because there is no stainless interface they wanted to give the titanium a lot of area to lockup, if it was early lockup only half the frame lock would be touching the blade and could deform. That is my guess based on listening to Eric talk about an upcoming frame lock at blade show
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:44 pm
I love the Spydiechef but what I really want to see is the Spydiechef 2 that we saw some prototype pics of recently. Longer blade with more of a point. Looks like a spydichef on steroids!

If this makes it to production/shipment, I'm definitely in. Thanks for sharing.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:44 pm

I wouldn't be able to resist that.

I just wish they would flip that frame lock around and make it a compression frame lock... please? I would own them all!!!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Big50

Post by Big50 »

mb1 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:22 pm
My lockbar engages about 60% of the blade tang, maybe a bit more. That’s perfect in my book. “Late” gets used as a pejorative. :D Given the way the lock engages and how the tang surface is sculpted, I’m not too worried about it drifting too far.
Last edited by Big50 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

If it would make production sooner, I'd love to see a Mantra 2 XL in LC. Simple clean lines, the extra blade mass and bearing CQI could perfect this knife. Great in the hand and in the pocket. Would also keep cost down and spotlight Eric's design. "Some say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." I'm in for either.
Hailon

Post by Hailon »

How about addressing the lock stick it suffers from? Mine is also about 80% lock up.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Mines never had lock stick. Lockup is about 80% but hasn't moved despite being my most carried knife. I'd rather late than early lockup.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam