How good is the Chaparral - and is the Ti worth it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

How good is the Chaparral - and is the Ti worth it?

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve finally admitted it to myself that the Urban doesn’t fit my hands, and my versions (K390 & Elmax) may have to go. The UKPK / Caly full length handles fit well, however, and so I’m thinking maybe the Chaparral would serve me better.

How do those of you with larger hands find the Chaparral? How have you got in with the XHP steel?

Also, a recent S110v UKPK is my LW user, and the finish of my lovely Ti fluted Military is tempting me into “better” here - any views on the Ti Chap?

Thanks!
abbazaba

Re: How good is the Chaparral - and is the Ti worth it?

Post by abbazaba »

Love it, XL hands here. One of my favorite and most practical knives. The CF version is my personal favorite, but you will get a lot of people voting for the new FRN version. I had one of the Ti versions, but I actually didn't like it as much as the CF.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have large hands, I wear a large/size 9 glove. The Chap is great and I love mine which is the CF version. I have never had the Ti version. It is a little less hand filling that the Caly3/UKPK though. It is shorter and much thinner.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

My “stealth” Ti is my go-to gentleman’s knife. It’s awesome. Also 9/L hands
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:39 am
I’ve finally admitted it to myself that the Urban doesn’t fit my hands, and my versions (K390 & Elmax) may have to go. The UKPK / Caly full length handles fit well, however, and so I’m thinking maybe the Chaparral would serve me better.

How do those of you with larger hands find the Chaparral? How have you got in with the XHP steel?

Also, a recent S110v UKPK is my LW user, and the finish of my lovely Ti fluted Military is tempting me into “better” here - any views on the Ti Chap?

Thanks!
I've got big enough hands: 2XL gloves. I find the Chaparral ok as long as I use the choil. I really like this little knife and it is my favorite pocket knife. I have the CF and FRN. I have never had the Ti.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I mean, it is the original
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

ChrisinHove wrote:
How do those of you with larger hands find the Chaparral?
I've got large hands. It's great. For a general EDC I can't see any downside to this knife.
ChrisinHove wrote:
any views on the Ti Chap?
The FRN version is really, really good. I love the FRN pattern. I'm sure the Ti is fine, but it seems like it would be a downgrade to me.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I don't have large hands but, IMHO, the first Chaparral is still the best. The "twill" CF composite is attractive and classy looking without being gaudy, and offers excellent traction as well. That said, if you want one of the titanium versions, I have all three and I'd strongly recommend the blue stepped one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Chaparral is great-
Titanium is a waste of money IMHo
awa54

Post by awa54 »

If you're in that price range, why not search out an original pattern UKPK in CF or Ti, the Ti UKPK is an amazing knife.

The Chap is only longer than the Urban by a few mm and the fact that it's a bit taller at the pivot doesn't have much subjective impact, in fact the Urban feels a bit more hand-filling than the Ti Chaparral to me.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I have the CF and LW Chaparral. It is a great little office knife. I don't really have a preference between the two. I do like the Caly 3 more than the Chaparral though. Here is a pic with the Urban.

gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

2xl gloves sometimes fit me, but 3xl is what I really need. Titanium stealth Chaparral is my most often carried knife in my rotation, at least twice a week since I got it. I do remember all the edges on the entire knife being very sharp when I got it, but it took less than fifteen minutes with 1500 grit sandpaper to fix. (maybe 1000 grit, maybe 2000 grit...it's been a long while ago.)

I like the blade steel. I have some knives, like the K-2 with 10V steel, that hold an edge longer but the Chaparral sharpens up quick and easy. no problems with rust or staining.

Slim, unobtrusive, a great slicer. It is more than up to any task a pocketknife could ever be asked to reasonably do, but being a slim handled knife it wouldn't be my first choice for long sessions of destroying cardboard. It excels at quick jobs, such as opening clamshells, mail, cutting twine or line, peeling an apple, quartering a lime, or slicing a coupon out of the paper.

It's the only knife I have considered getting a second identical one, "just in case."

Grizz
Reject

Post by Reject »

Love the Chaparral, :rolleyes: so I dug up this poem I wrote about it. :o What a seems a very long time ago.

Living with the Chaparral.

In my left pocket, it replaced the Sage.
It was a desperate attempt to quail the rage.

Of all these nonsensical fools.
That don’t get; that knives are simply tools.

In no way are they a fret to their life.
They are not carried to cause mischief and strive.

Though the Sage was used sensibly and with restrain.
“That looks dangerous!”…. was the usual refrain.

So I was some what heavy of heart.
Knowing my beloved Sage and I must sadly part.

In to my left pocket went this minuscule Chaparral.
Will it be up to the task? Only time would tell.

As packages were opened and apples and bananas were peeled.
The qualities of this small gem were slowly revealed.

Though the Para-military was there for any heavier task.
The Chaparral seemed willing and capable of doing all I would ask.

In fact; sometimes it seemed somewhat overly keen.
And sometimes perhaps even a little nasty and mean.

Cutting like laser and with a somewhat obsessive need to cut.
After opening it, I had to cut something or it seemed relucent to shut.

I under estimated this little knife’s capabilities by a dam mile.
The more I push it, the more it excels and it makes me smile.

How can this little knife be so resilient and strong?
Mate! Get one of these little knives, can you not go wrong.

Sal? By what technology, metallurgy, magic or spell?
Enabled you to create this knife you called the Chaparral?
How much can a Koala bear?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Chap is great. I own them all. The one I carry most is the CF twill, by a huge margin. I'd go with that one.
JohnyKwst

Post by JohnyKwst »

Great poem!!

Reject wrote:
Love the Chaparral, :rolleyes: so I dug up this poem I wrote about it. :o What a seems a very long time ago.

Living with the Chaparral.

In my left pocket, it replaced the Sage.
It was a desperate attempt to quail the rage.

Of all these nonsensical fools.
That don’t get; that knives are simply tools.

In no way are they a fret to their life.
They are not carried to cause mischief and strive.

Though the Sage was used sensibly and with restrain.
“That looks dangerous!”…. was the usual refrain.

So I was some what heavy of heart.
Knowing my beloved Sage and I must sadly part.

In to my left pocket went this minuscule Chaparral.
Will it be up to the task? Only time would tell.

As packages were opened and apples and bananas were peeled.
The qualities of this small gem were slowly revealed.

Though the Para-military was there for any heavier task.
The Chaparral seemed willing and capable of doing all I would ask.

In fact; sometimes it seemed somewhat overly keen.
And sometimes perhaps even a little nasty and mean.

Cutting like laser and with a somewhat obsessive need to cut.
After opening it, I had to cut something or it seemed relucent to shut.

I under estimated this little knife’s capabilities by a dam mile.
The more I push it, the more it excels and it makes me smile.

How can this little knife be so resilient and strong?
Mate! Get one of these little knives, can you not go wrong.

Sal? By what technology, metallurgy, magic or spell?
Enabled you to create this knife you called the Chaparral?
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Reject,

Great poem. May we use it?

sal
sal

Post by sal »

A while back, we made a series of "Handled" models. It was called the Kopa series. Very nicely received. Very nice quality. We made 16 different variations of handle material and we're currently making the last one, a stainless model with no clip. Requested by the Deacon. We only made 600 of each which was both good and bad. Bad in that many more wanted them than could get them.,

We stopped the series mostly because the maker was not able to work with many of the materials we wanted to use, his production capacity was small and they had some problems that is taking time to overcome. Those that have Kopa's seem to have made a good investment. Those that have the whole set, can usually get 3/4 times the original cost if sold. I imagine in years to come, they will only appreciate more because they are beautiful and very well made. Functional art.

We began the Chaparral series with the same concept in mind, though not limited in production numbers. However, when they do become discontinued, they will not be reproduced. The Ti models are by fat the most expensive, the most difficult to make, and arguably the most attractive. Kelly has been considering disco'ing the Ti variations. I don't know if she's planning to lower the price or not. But for those of you that are considering a series that will not be offensive due to their being "sized for the future", the Chappy is a thought. I believe we've gt six variations now in production with a FRN EDC. We've got 2 new variations in-the-works. We'll continue to add variations as we find special materials. Both natural and synthetic.
Just a head's up.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for new handles for the Chap. I'm still considering getting a Rafir but I'm a little concerned about getting one that doesn't look as nice as I'd like. I might just have to roll the dice and see what I get.

I think the stepped Ti versions are gorgeous but if I were going to spend that on a knife I'd probably go ahead and buy one of the Kopas I've been watching on the auction site.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I had a terrible Jones for the stepped blue & Ti Chaparral a couple of years ago. Even started a savings for it, but I never managed it. It’s a beautiful knife and certainly an investment in the long run. The FRN model is one of my top three knives to have and I may get one some day. I also look forward to the new scale materials that will be coming so the FRN will have to wait in the wings.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Chaparral series is a favorite of mine and I have all of them except for the Blue Stepped Titanium (got one and the blue anodizing was very uneven so returned it). The Stepped Titanium has very beautiful, intricate, time-consuming and expensive milling. The only one I use is the CF one which was only $100 five years ago (I got two so I use one and keep another for the collection). I even have a third CF with S30V instead of XHP.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln