Delica - what was the design background?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderScout

Delica - what was the design background?

Post by SpyderScout »

In regards to the smaller Spyderco knives, I have a ZDP-189 Dragonfly (a favorite and one of my most used knives. ZDP rocks!), a UKPF, a SpyDK and a Pingo.
I was sort of covered in the small knife department ... or so I tried to tell myself.
Recently, I managed to convince myself, that I needed a Delica to sort of fill in the space between the DF and my Endura.
Having bought a Delica, I wondered, if there was special taget audience for this popular knife or if it was just another Spyderco meant to be enjoyed by a wide audience?
bouhunter

Re: Delica - what was the design background?

Post by bouhunter »

SpyderScout wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:30 am
another Spyderco meant to be enjoyed by a wide audience?
That sums it up - a great knife at a size that meets many needs. :)
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

bouhunter wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:51 am
SpyderScout wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:30 am
another Spyderco meant to be enjoyed by a wide audience?
That sums it up - a great knife at a size that meets many needs. :)
I agree, a great and useful knife.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They were made for everybody but I believe that originally they thought that the Delica would appeal to women more and that the Endura would appeal to men more.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Delica is a fine knife. It is one of my favorites. It is practical, kind of like blue jeans.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

BravoTango wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:51 pm

That’s obviously not Vivi. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

The C10 Endura and C11 Delica were offered simultaneously in 1990. They were a breakthrough for the Company and exploded market share.

The new FRN handle with molded in volcano texturing and an integral clip allowed the knives to be provided at a very competitive price point. They also were lightweight which broadened the carry options and the appeal.

They were the first multi-step Spydies available in different sizes. The size range would be extended later with the diminutive clipless LadyBug.

The fixed integral clip was the first in the tip up position for the Company. The lightweight handles made the Spydie flick opening technique difficult but with tip up carry, the thumb naturally fell to the opening hole for the standard opening technique.

In 1990, I acquired both an Endura SE and a Delica PE but it was the Endura that rode in my pocket for 25 years. It has since been retired.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SpyderScout,

They were designed for the general market. At the time there were almost no one-handers, integral clips, or even clips in general. The Yen was weak so the models were affordable, $30 & $35. We made our mostly for users.

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Personally i find the Endura a bit too long/large and the Dragonfly too small. Carried a Delica clipit daily for over 12 years and didn't even look for something else. Then insanity struck, but that's another story for another day :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.