Has anyone else noticed this about Spyderco knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brainfriction

Has anyone else noticed this about Spyderco knives?

Post by brainfriction »

Had this thought the other day and thought it was kind of amusing.

I own a handful of Spydies. Mostly just the Manix 2, PM2, and a couple each of their color/steel variants, and also a Delica.

Each time I got one out of the box, I was never really blown away. I got a PM2 because of all the rave reviews out there, but my initial impression was kind of "meh". The super grippy g10 felt weird in my hand, and being used to frame locks and liner locks, the compression lock took some getting used to.

The Manix 2 Lightweight also felt a little odd with the large blade, and super lightweight handle. Also the bearing lock was stiff, and put some nice calluses on my thumb and index finger while breaking it in, lol.

However, they really grew on me and easily became my #1 and 2 go-to edc knives. After they broke in a bit, I realized the impeccable fit and finish and ingenious design of each locking mechanism.

This is in contrast to many of the other knives I've owned. Not to name names, but popular, highly rated knives from some of the bigger brand names out there. A lot of them blew me away right out of the box, but have sort of collected dust since.
juggler

Re: Has anyone else noticed this about Spyderco knives?

Post by juggler »

Depends on the model, I guess. While some Spydercos did eventually grow on me after a lukewarm first impression, some others (like the Native S110V Blurple) impressed me right out of the box... and continue to do so.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I love when a knife grows on me. Usually hits me one day. I’m the same way you are. Some I buy sit a year before I suddenly start using them.
- best wishes, Jazz.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Spydies have a very strange and almost supernatural way of getting in youre mind and heart.
Like it used to be said its like a virus you do not know what is happening before it is to late and you have 50/60 spydies and an empty bankaccount. :D

Sometimes it all slows down a while and you think it is gone but just at that point it rises again. It happend to me 2 times already.
( small tip never ever sell youre collection when it happens glad i never did.)

But like you said many spydies grow on you and become more special then any other. Even if they do not blow you away out of the box they always get to grow on you when you use them that is what spydies are all about using them. :)
anycal

Post by anycal »

With so many options out there, I am not surprised. Some were an instant hit, some took a while to warm up to, and some just didn’t fit my requirements.

PM2 was the first, and favorite to this day.

Good to have options.
Peter
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The biggest surprise to me has been the hap40 wharncliffe Delica. I wanted to try the steel, and I sort of kept side eyeing the wharncliffe. The more I use it for mundane daily tasks the better I like it. Now I wish I could find a wharncliffe urban! I wonder what the p3 would be like with a wharncliffe?
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

Neither my Chaparral LW nor Native 5 LW blew me away initially (and still don’t), but they are both growing on me. I appreciate them more now for what they are. My basic black PM2 and my brand new Para 3 M390, on the other hand, were (and are) nothing short of awesome. They make me want more!
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I find that spyderco knives impress the hands more than the eyes.

But that's the way I like it.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is not so much that the knives grow on me, it is that Spyderco designs in general grew on me. When I first encountered Spyderco I bought a very nice looking Viele in (as I recall) BG42. I loved how that knife looked and the quality was far above other makers. However, it had no guard and the handle was very smooth. One day, with a wet hand, my hand moved forward on the blade as I was using the knife and I nearly cut myself. I sold that knife and did not look at another Spyderco for years. Then came a day when I had another slick little knife that I wanted to replace and I wanted something the same size exactly. I discovered the Caly3 and I was blown away by that knife. So, I came back around to Spyderco as a daily carry knife brand. Then, there was one more knife that still held me back from full blown Spyderco addiction. It was from a major (the major?) competitor. That maker is so hung up on the nonsensical blade to handle ratio that the handles of their knives are often too short for an adult male hand. I looked at Spyderco again, and in that same category of knife, discovered the Delica and once my hand held that knife, I boxed up all other brands and never even look at them any more. Spyderco became my drug of choice, so to speak.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Spyderco knives definitely work this way for me. Much higher useability factor than "wow" factor.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Two of my favorite models won me over after I initially strongly disliked them. While appearance is subjective, I think the real beauty in most of Spyderco's designs can be seen more through use and ergonomics than simply looking at them. I've certainly handled some from other brands that put aesthetics above ergos and it showed in how poor they felt in use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This was absolutely my experience with the Stretch. I seemed almost unwilling to like it at first. I then told myself to carry it everyday for two weeks and then if I still didn’t like it to sell it. I still have it. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

What I found with Spyderco is that I somehow got sucked in to being infatuated with a knife that I would never have believed I'd even carry... Having previously had a 3" limit on the size of a folder I would carry (and mostly carrying sub 2") transitioning to being a fan of the Military was about as unlikely an occurrence as you could imagine!

Now I own three.

Most Spyderco designs are greater than the sum of their parts.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Joey

Post by Joey »

I felt the opposite way when I first got into Spyderco. I was gifted a pacific salt, and instantly noticed the care put into it. The biggest thing was the weight for me. Nearly a year later, I handle some paramilitary 2 and para 3’s at a cabelas. Instantly I noticed the overall quality (IMO NOTHING is wrong with these knives. From the design, all the way to the product in hand) and now 2 months later I have 2 of each. I was also able to hold a Native 5 that same day, and I couldn’t believe the overall quality for the price. I later found cutleryshoppe.com and had to have it in orange/black:)
Attachments
D38D4DBE-CC16-4EBE-85C0-77F65752ACFE.jpeg
markg

Post by markg »

I think you have realized a reality we all face with our hobbies. Often times the enduring favorites were not the ones we felt the strongest for at first. The opposite is also true. Often the knife we thought we really wanted and loved seems to suffer from fading interest.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:10 pm
I find that spyderco knives impress the hands more than the eyes.

But that's the way I like it.
Yes, this.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Some makers go for knives that "look cool" (and may be well made high quality knives). Spyderco is all about ergonomics and how they look is not a top priority. That is my take on things, and I am totally OK with it. Do you want jewelry or a quality tool? Sometimes you can have both I guess, and some Spydercos look pretty nice, but when push comes to shove, the ergos win.

I remember the first time I got a Manix in my hand. Like it was made just for me. I don't think any other knife is quite so perfect in my hand.

But "made for the hands more than the eyes" is a great way to put it.
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

I'll echo apollo's statement above about not selling off your collection if you loose interest for a while. I made the mistake of getting rid of a very rare collection of 1994-1998 knives. Gave them away and sold a few for nothing. Live and learn.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Quality!! that was the biggest common denominator that drove me to become a Spyder-Head :cool: Second was their extremely unique features on many of their knives and how totally ergonomic most Spyders are compared to all the others in the commercial world. Also it was the very first premium quality serrated knives I ever got my hands on. I cuoldn't believe how well they worked with teeth :cool:

Also I couldn't believe the outright courtesy of the staff whenever I had questions or problems.

Also they have models to offer in just about every walk of life and it's one of the very few companies where the owner/CEO of the company will come to the Forum almost daily and chat with us and ask us what we want in future Spyderco models. Spyderco is an example of what American businesses used to be about. I got into Surefire Flashights just about the same time>>> "THE SPYDER BIT ME!!!! THEN I SAW THE LIGHT :eek: !!! :rolleyes: :D
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Unfortunately, it seems like some models don't "click" for me until right after they get discontinued and hard to find :). I finally decide I like the looks of a model, then can't find it available.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)