DAAAAAANG!!! (Para 3 M390)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cptdean

DAAAAAANG!!! (Para 3 M390)

Post by cptdean »

My friendly neighborhood mail carrier just dropped by with a delivery from Bento Box...my new Para 3 in M390. I'm stunned! :eek:

It's my fifth Spyderco and my first Para 3, and I'm in love. Fit and finish is amazing (could it be flawless?), and it's crazy sharp. I especially like the rounded edges on the sweet blue G10.

I thought I'd be buying this just to tick the Para 3 box on my list, then focus on buying more PM2 varieties. Now I'm thinking I'll need more Para 3s, as well. Thank$, $pyderco! ;)

PS - BBS shipped almost immediately and it reached Tennessee in two days from California. No complaints here!

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
Sjucaveman

Re: DAAAAAANG!!! (Para 3 M390)

Post by Sjucaveman »

They can afford to ship fast for what they charge.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

That's exactly how I was bit! Got my first PM2 and loved it, thought nothing could ever be better. Then got the same Para 3 as you, and found that to be more handy for my typical daily tasks. Grabbed another PM2 to be more of a user than my first one, and then that followed by another (2) Para 3's. This forum is extremely dangerous to the wallet!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RickC27 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:28 pm
....This forum is extremely dangerous to the wallet!
Yep! I'm now living under a bridge in a cardboard box! Good news is at least I have plenty of knives to cut out the windows & door in my new home! :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

RickC27 wrote:
This forum is extremely dangerous to the wallet!

I've just decided to go ahead and send my daughter to college, and make my son go work for Spyderco. Money problems solved!

Dragonfly 2
Crux

Post by Crux »

cptdean wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:34 pm
RickC27 wrote:
This forum is extremely dangerous to the wallet!

I've just decided to go ahead and send my daughter to college, and make my son go work for Spyderco. Money problems solved!
Best idea I've ever heard.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Really like the BBS para3. I think it's my favorite of my 3 para's for the color alone.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Glad you like it!
Nothing like grabbing the mail and seeing a little box in there. :) Mine was perfect out of box. I noticed a little micro chipping when using the factory edge for awhile, but once I reprofiled it, haven't seen any chipping. It's a gem no doubt.
C
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thinking of getting one.
How do you like the cutting performance and sharpening ease?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Same experience. The BBS M390 started me into P3s when I've never really been much for carrying the PM2. My favorite so far has been the REC exclusive, but maybe that's because I'm not afraid to beat it up. :)
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

gull wing wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:45 pm
Thinking of getting one.
How do you like the cutting performance and sharpening ease?

I’m still just a consumer, so I can’t speak to sharpening yet. It’s my understanding that it’s marginally easier than S110V, but still a chore. The cutting performance (boxes today) was impressive. I no longer have a need for my box cutters.

Dragonfly 2
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

It stinks that BBS practices are frowned upon with many of their knives, though i personally have had good experiences both times I've bought knives off them. Especially on my birthday, waving the shipping fee and matching KC price on the PM2 S35VN a few months ago when nobody else had them in stock. That was a class act as they reached out to me here, on this forum. People are really missing out on a fantastic knife here if they are hating on this company for price gouging. $170 shipped, id do it all over again for this knife. One of the absolute best exclusives out there imo.
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

I will gladly buy from them again (heck, maybe even another one of these), and I have no complaints or regrets. I really like this knife.

Dragonfly 2
MadmanR1

Post by MadmanR1 »

I've been thinking on it. I got their m390 blue PM2....twice. First one got beat to heck, second one I couldn't bear to use. I refuse to start collecting pm3's, but m390 is good EDC steel for me.
Joey

Post by Joey »

I got mine yesterday! I too had some micro chipping near the tip, but I’ve been slowly polishing it out with just some notepad paper. It’s very much hair whittling sharp, but that tiny tiny chip is really cramping my paper cutting style even still!

Edit: I have to say, this shade of blue is just supreme. It’s so rich in color, and stands out from the rest. It’s my second para 3, alongside the blade HQ sprint in DLC
Attachments
A22A04E2-5A6C-4B97-9A60-3CCA7B9478E6.jpeg
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I love my BBS Para 3, $170 was totally worth it for the material and exclusivity. I also bought 2 blue PM2s, and a few other orders from BBS; zero issues, and I would buy from them again with confidence.
Fixmeister

Post by Fixmeister »

If I didn’t have a REX 45 PM2 arriving Monday...

Beautiful knife. I only have one Para 3 in M4 and love the platform. Blue and M390. Sweet!

I have a PM2 in S110V and a BM Griptilian in 20CV. I find the 20CV easier to sharpen the the S110V. But... 2 different manufacturers and Spyderco runs their steel pretty hard.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

cptdean wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:24 pm
My friendly neighborhood mail carrier just dropped by with a delivery from Bento Box...my new Para 3 in M390. I'm stunned! :eek:

It's my fifth Spyderco and my first Para 3, and I'm in love. Fit and finish is amazing (could it be flawless?), and it's crazy sharp. I especially like the rounded edges on the sweet blue G10.

I thought I'd be buying this just to tick the Para 3 box on my list, then focus on buying more PM2 varieties. Now I'm thinking I'll need more Para 3s, as well. Thank$, $pyderco! ;)

PS - BBS shipped almost immediately and it reached Tennessee in two days from California. No complaints here!

I got the BBS bundle with the M390 Para 3(my first Para 3) and Maxamet Manix . Decent deal , even with shipping, which was very quick ! I can see where people would get a little upset with their business model. But they are up front about it and no one Is forcing anyone to buy from them. I see no reason to bad mouth BBS when you have a conscious choice to do business with them. It's the same thing as car dealers that charge 5000.00 over MSRP for limited edition (or popular ) cars and trucks....some do and most don't!

The M390 Para that I received is absolutely perfect in every way and one of my favorite knives I've acquired so far. Still deciding if I want to swap the blade and hardware from the Blade HQ M4 DLC with the blue scales...blue with all black would look awesome.
Decisions! !!

James
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Great blade. I preordered mine and it took about 2 weeks to get here and I still had to pay the $15 shipping.

I will speak with my wallet and I will not cave into their exclusives again. M390 or no.

The prices are already jacked up higher than they should be, yet the still have to gouge you on shipping too. At least charge what it costs for shipping and make the blade $5 more?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut