Steak knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Steak knife

Post by awa54 »

I've been baffled in the past by folks who use their Spydercos to cut steaks, at home or in restaurants, first off there are usually purpose made steak knives in any situation where steaks are served, second cutting against ceramics isn't kind to your edge!

Well, I have officially joined the club! Last night I was at my local BBQ place and the brisket was just shy of being able to be pulled apart with a fork and no knife was supplied, so out came the KW Ti/CF Military to keep my brisket from becoming a mess all over the table, fortunately at this place the meat is served over a slice of bread, so no worries about flattening my edge either. Have to say, it performed way better than any restaurant steak knife... maybe this will become a habit?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bearfacedkiller

Re: Steak knife

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have wanted to get some wooden plates for my home so that I can then invest in some nice plain edged steak knives. Unfortunately so far I have just thought about it. :(
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I also tend to avoid pulling out a pocket knife to cut food in a restaurant. A few reasons:

I use my knives for general utility, and they aren’t clean enough to eat with usually.

It seems (to me) to convey a bizarre mixture of obliviousness and braggadocio. Like: “I want you all to know that I’m prepared with a superior tool to whatever this place could provide, and yet, I’m unaware that this display might be met with anything other than admiration.”

I mean, if I really needed to cut some food in public and the tools available really were inadequate, then of course I’d make do with my pocket knife. I’m also not judging, these are merely the reasons I tend not to use my EDC knife on food.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The main reasons I try to avoid doing it is that it isn’t all that easy to clean at a restaurant and the ceramic plate.

However, I have used all sorts of folders including larger ones like a Military in restaurants and not once has it appeared as though anyone has ever even noticed. This was mainly cutting up food for a young child so it was usually at diners, family restaurants and other casual restaurants. Those places usually just give you a fork, spoon and butter knife wrapped in a napkin. I found my folders doing a bit of food work after having a child. It has been used a bit at cookouts to cut up food for him as well.

I have used my folders to cut down straws a lot too. I have no idea why restaurants put full size straws in a little kids cup. Two thirds of the straw sticks out of the cup.

I have only ever used a folder for myself on a couple of rare occasions. One time they forgot to give me a knife and when the waitress noticed me using my own knife she apologized and brought me a knife. She didn’t seem alarmed and I just put my knife away and used the one she brought me. Seemed like a non issue.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I don't usually use my pocket knives to cut food but every once in awhile I'll clean one off and use for dinner at home just for fun. I don't worry too much about damaging the edge on a plate. I haven't really had any issues but if I did it just gives me a reason to touch it up on the SM.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

Most cutlery at restaurants isn't actually sharp. I carry an Opinel slim No. 10 when dining out. It looks like a classic European-style steak knife. I only take it to places where I expect to order a large piece of protein, and that's sort of a rare occasion (though I have used it at home many times). It's only used for food and is cleaned and stored separately from my general-use folding knives. Using an EDC knife as a steak knife sounds a bit barbaric to me. But I'm fancy.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I carry a PE Salt when I go out to eat (I have kids that need food cut up and most fast casual restaurants only have plastic silverware) and have a PE Pacific Salt in my briefcase to use for lunch at work. They are stainless and easily cleanup in hot soapy water without having to worry about rust. I can fold it up, walk to the bathroom, wash it out, and put it back in my pocket even if I dont get it completely dry. I feel like LC200N might hold up a little better cutting on ceramic plates, so the Native Salt and new LC200N Pacific Salt may eventually replace my H1 knives for this duty.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Crux

Post by Crux »

I use my Salt as a steak knife too. No rust worries. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Crux wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:45 pm
I use my Salt as a steak knife too. No rust worries. :)

Yep, all that said though, I would love a purpose built folding linerless FRN steak knife in full SALT FFG LC200N PE. The new LC200N Pacific Salt sounds like it will be pretty close to that.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Crux

Post by Crux »

And then there's the steak.
Attachments
Cabassi Wagyu Filet.jpg
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
FK

Post by FK »

I like the Endura in ZDP-189,,,dark color not noticeable to other patrons.
Clean blade reserved for steak house duty.

Ceramic plate problem is minimized if you lift the meat up with fork and saw cut without pushing down onto plate, this requires low angle and very sharp apex.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I clean my knife off after any rather gross task, so it's usually food ready. Depends on the restaurant honestly.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I keep my knives clean, so I don't worry about using them on food. Nor do I worry about the edge since the knife is made for cutting and I don't baby it. But, after the meal it's a good idea to clean the knife with soap and hot water in the restroom since you might need it again. I try to make it a habit to keep my knives clean enough to eat with.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I went to a cookout/reunion of sorts today. I carried a very sharp Buck Solitaire because I knew I would have the only sharp knife in 2000 miles. I did not want to take a chance on someone ruining one of my good Spydercos (I think I am going to buy a Byrd). Sure enough, I had the only knife able to cut the steaks, pork chops, chicken wings, salmon, and etc. Not only did they cut the thick steaks to see if they were done, they passed the knife around at the table so everyone could cut up their meat. (I had a Spyderco Dragonfly in my pocket). So, yes, I do use my knives as steak knives, frequently.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Nothing quite like cutting up steak you cooked over coals from an oak and pecan wood campfire with your Dozier ‘personal’ or spydie! Oh man I can smell it now.... I can’t wait for colder weather!!!!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I actually have a Shun folding steak knife that I'm quite fond of. It's quite innocuous and very small, and it's great for cutting steak. I almost never eat out (I can't remember the last time I went to a restaurant for a steak) but I use it at home frequently.
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

Boy this brings back memories. Back in my navy days (early 70s) meals on board ship were an adventure in culinary experience. The mystery meat they served was indeed tough and the knives supplied couldn't cut butter. Out came my Buck 311 to the dismay of others around me. Didn't make it taste any better at least I could eat it.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Crux wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:17 am
And then there's the steak.
I gotta say that is one yummy lookin steak !
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I generally only carry my Tatanka at restaurants for cutting. Very discreet.

Rich
Think for yourself
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

redhawk44357 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:54 pm
Boy this brings back memories. Back in my navy days (early 70s) meals on board ship were an adventure in culinary experience. The mystery meat they served was indeed tough and the knives supplied couldn't cut butter. Out came my Buck 311 to the dismay of others around me. Didn't make it taste any better at least I could eat it.
In the 60s when I worked on a couple of Polaris boat squadrons I had frequent occasions to eat on board. The steaks and lobster tails were excellent.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation