Am I The Only Fan Here For The C-60 Ayoob Model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Am I The Only Fan Here For The C-60 Ayoob Model?

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I know the title may be just a bit misleading and I'm sure that there are some of you who admire that Ultra-Classic C-60 Ayoob maybe even more than I do. But in the past year or so I'm seeing very few people in comparison who still like the Ayoob model. It bothers me because I'm beginning to believe we may not see another Sprint Run ( Which We Are Highly Overdue For IMO). When it comes to ergonomics and practical but yet unique design I still rate it way up in the top 5 of all time for Spyderco Folders.

Actually as good of a design as it was I'm a bit disappointed that Massad Ayoob hasn't come up with a newer design by now. If they would do a Sprint Run of the C-60 with one of the newer/better blade steels it would probably immediately be my new EDC>> especially if they would offer it in Spyderedge next time. Oh the VG-10 units were nice but it's high time for an upgraded version and I hope some of you share that opinion with me.

The G-10 handle in the previous Sprint Run was a vast improvement and I would be very satisfied to stay with it unless they had something better. OK am I the only fan of the C-60??? And what would be your idea of a Sprint Run C-60 to meet your demands? Let's talk about this model before it becomes too far in the rear view mirror :( The C-60 and the Dodo are two Spyders I never want to see fade away.
OldHoosier62

Re: Am I The Only Fan Here For The C-60 Ayoob Model?

Post by OldHoosier62 »

No JD, you're not. I am a big fan also. I really prefer the Ayoob SE over everything but my Military in 440V.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Truth be told, I would have rather had a SE Ayoob sprint than a Spyderhawk sprint.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Great minds think alike... I never picked up the last sprint due to it not being SE, ... good to see another SE Millie fan, I’ve 3 440v chainsaws!

J

..edited.. **** auto correct on the phone!
Last edited by jezabel on Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:09 pm
Truth be told, I would have rather had a SE Ayoob sprint than a Spyderhawk sprint.
Truth!
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jezabel wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:17 pm
Great minds thinking no alike... I never picked up the last sprint due to it not being SE, ... good to see anothe SE Millie fan , I’ve 3 440v chainsaws!

J
Now "Jezabel" that's just not fair at all >>no!!! not even in the least!! Since I was dumb enough to trade my last 440V SE Military it's been like trying to climb Mt. Everest in the winter on the north side trying to get back my 440V SE MILLIE :D :rolleyes:

But I do have very good news for everyone here at Spyderville and my good friend Doc Snubnose will back me 1000% on this one ;) Because the Spyderedged C-60 Ayoob is without a doubt the best SE model Spyderco ever made in a folder.

Man you all really know how to rub it in don't you :rolleyes: Knowing that I want another 440V Military like I want my next good breathe of mountain air. But do let it be known that the SE C-60 Ayoob ranks right up there with the Millie. Now I do think that the 440V Millie is a bit more overall rugged than the C-60 but as far as cutting performance it would be too close to call.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I'd buy a sprint, if they can be had in Canada. Maybe its time for an Ayoob 2?
markg

Post by markg »

You know you have my full support on this.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I haven't had an opportunity to buy one at a reasonable price, and so have never handled one yet. I want to be a fan; if there were a sprint offered for less than $200 I would probably check it out.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I like the design, the concept, the idea and the model specifications, :rolleyes:
and I love Spyderco's SE blades :D

This looks like it would be a great knife to have a return :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:06 am
I like the design, the concept, the idea and the model specifications, :rolleyes:
and I love Spyderco's SE blades :D

This looks like it would be a great knife to have a return :cool:
Well PEACENT you and EVIL D I think may have the right idea for getting this ball rolling. We've all talked in the past on a couple of occasions about petitioning Spyderco for Spyderedged Sprint Runs and this might just be the one to kick it off with. But in one sense I wouldn't want it to be SE only because this model really shines in SE & PE both. But it might be the ticket to get it in the door for serious consideration.

I distinctly remember when Doc Snubnose told us of the "meat tests" that they used the Spyderedged C-60 with and the results were astounding. But on the other hand if they would step up to a newer/better blade steel in PE especially we could see a completely new animal all together. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed because I've been told that Mr. Ayoob himself didn't care for his sterling design being done in SE :confused:
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'd buy a sprint of this up in a moment.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'd be interested. I'd be even more interested if it was sized down just a tad to be more carry-friendly. I love a Seki lockback, and I prefer knives with the negative blade angle.

I think one has to remember, though, that this would likely come in similar to the A.T.R. and Chinook in price point. So you're looking at $225 if you keep the materials basic (G10/VG-10).

It's easy to say "I'm in!" but when it comes down to it, I know a lot of people have trouble paying $100 more than a similarly sized/featured Golden model, which is understandable. Again it comes down to the unfortunate value difference between Golden/Seki. Heck, just look at how long people were clamoring for a G10 Delica, and then an exclusive gets made and some people were nearly apoplectic over the price.

I'm sorry to say that I do think this is another one that looks better on paper than it'll do in reality. Mark my words: this time next year the A.T.R. and Chinook will still be available.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

It's not the price that keeps me from getting an ATR2, it's the tip-up carry. The ATR2 is pretty close to my ideal "hard use" knife design, but I can't carry a knife that big tip-up. I've considered getting one and removing the clip and carrying it in a belt sheath (I carried a Buck 110 that way for years) but I prefer pocket carry.

The Ayoob was a tip-down only model in the past. If a sprint run still supported tip-down carry, then I'd probably get one. I don't care if it also supports tip-up carry, just don't lose the tip-down carry option.

But I agree that a smaller model would probably sell better. Any knife that's 5+ inches closed is going to have limited appeal. There are a lot of people who just don't want to carry a knife that big. (And if they are OK with a knife that big, they probably already have a Police or Civilian -- or both.)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

rangefinder wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:59 pm

The Ayoob was a tip-down only model in the past. If a sprint run still supported tip-down carry, then I'd probably get one. I don't care if it also supports tip-up carry, just don't lose the tip-down carry option.

But I agree that a smaller model would probably sell better. Any knife that's 5+ inches closed is going to have limited appeal. There are a lot of people who just don't want to carry a knife that big. (And if they are OK with a knife that big, they probably already have a Police or Civilian -- or both.)
Interesting! However I just don't seem to think that the C-60 Ayoob is all that big size-wise because I've been EDCing my M390 Military so long that when I carry one of my Ayoob models it seems like a medium sized folder to me.

Also I've been really impressed with how many people I've heard that want a smaller version of the Ayoob model. I know that it would jack up the costs but I would love to see a Carbon Fiber version of the Ayoob with a supersteel blade.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I personally would check one out. I think a G10 handle would be a nice addition.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:17 am
I personally would check one out. I think a G10 handle would be a nice addition.
Hey Brother great to see you again at Spyderville!! The Sprint Run C-60 of 2011 did have a G-10 handle but I wish a newer Sprint Run would have a slightly thicker one. The G-10 handle sure added a lot of grip/purchase to it and I ended up with 3 of those and it really hurt me that they didn't offer the Sprint Run in SE :( >> because the original Ayoob in SE was a "Mega-Beast" :cool:

But I believe that there are more than enough fans of the C-60 Ayoob to qualify for another Sprint RUN>> not to mention all of the new Spyder-Heads I've talked to that say they would love to have one as well.

Even if they did a Sprint Run of SE only I would still get at least 3 of them. It's a model that just grows on you really fast and stays with you. Now if they wanted a Rolls Royce version of the C-60 then a Carbon Fiber handle would be the "BOMB"!!
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I'd be interested in a sprint run. Maybe a carbon fibre handle. Seems sprint runs need more though as there are a lot more buyers out there now.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mini2white wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:05 am
I'd be interested in a sprint run. Maybe a carbon fibre handle. Seems sprint runs need more though as there are a lot more buyers out there now.
There are so many new Spyderco enthusiasts out there now that I doubt whether a Carbon Fiber, G-10 or even the original Almite handle would not make a great deal of difference as far as several of these newcomer Spyderco fans wanting an Ayoob model. I can't tell you how many people have tried to buy or trade for one of mine over the past 5 years especially. So there's no doubt to me as to whether or not the market is there because I firmly believe it is.

I'm not the only one who loves these old classic Spyders>> especially the ones from what I've always called the GOLDEN ERA (1998-2003). Oh and by the way the $1000+ Cranberry Lum was out of the era as well :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think I'd really like to have one with 2/3 SE. VG10/G10 is fine if it makes it more likely to happen.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David