A question to Mr. Glesser about "the Maxamet situation"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Re: A question to Mr. Glesser about "the Maxamet situation"

Post by archangel »

Thanks Darby. I may be overcritical/frustrated due to the fact that the Para 3 is my only Maxamet Spydie choice, if I ever get to order one. Not only is it scarce, it is then also very pricey for a rather compact knife. Another thing I haven't yet understood, why the Para3 G10 costs almost the same as the PM2 even though it's a good part smaller. But first things first. Let's wait for the time Maxamet PM2s and Para3s won't sell out in a heartbeat.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

Was there any statement by Sal or so that Maxamet could/would be brought to other models? Smaller ones? I know people here dream of a Maxamet Millie - why not downsize?
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to have a Maxamet Chaparral, or a Maxamet Dragonfly 2.

In my opinion, Maxamet is really ideal for a small, precise knife. I love it in the Manix 2 LW, but I think the steel is really perfect for a smaller platform (Native is a great choice for it, for example, and I'm very grateful to have it in the Native).
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:03 am

In my opinion, Maxamet is really ideal for a small, precise knife. I love it in the Manix 2 LW, but I think the steel is really perfect for a smaller platform (Native is a great choice for it, for example, and I'm very grateful to have it in the Native).

+1 I'd rather have a steel like this in a thin slicey knife like the Chap LW that I'm not going to be using super hard. I'd buy a Maxamet Dragonfly as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
archangel

MMM - More Maxamet Models

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:33 pm
Hi Archangel,

It will be "revealed" at the proper time.

sal

Sal, Sir, I think your statement referred to the return of the Para 3 and PM2. The first one is now available at solid numbers. I bury my doubts - the PM2 will come out big as well soon. :) Thank you for sticking to it!

Now, you probably know: We want more. :D Will more models get a Maxamet makeover? The Millie, plus...?
Michael
sal

Post by sal »

We always do our best to please.

sal
awa54

Post by awa54 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:24 pm
TomAiello wrote:

+1 I'd rather have a steel like this in a thin slicey knife like the Chap LW that I'm not going to be using super hard. I'd buy a Maxamet Dragonfly as well.

This seems like the most sensible way to use Maxamet... Putting a super high hardness steel that has limited toughness (to put it kindly) in large knives that can be expected to be used for higher impact tasks than small blades, just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I'll take a Millie or PM2 in AEB-L or 3V over Maxamet any day! For me Maxamet blades above 3" hold no interest.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

awa54 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:24 am
steelcity16 wrote:
TomAiello wrote:

This seems like the most sensible way to use Maxamet... Putting a super high hardness steel that has limited toughness (to put it kindly) in large knives that can be expected to be used for higher impact tasks than small blades, just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I'll take a Millie or PM2 in AEB-L or 3V over Maxamet any day! For me Maxamet blades above 3" hold no interest.
So, use maxamet on models more for cutting and less likely to have impact? Like a slip joint. Ukpk?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

awa54 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:24 am
steelcity16 wrote:
TomAiello wrote:

I watched a few Maxamet videos on YouTube yesterday. I think it was BBB that made a video showing him CHOPPING a wood fence rail to prove Maxamet is not fragile in any way. I've also seen videos of Spyderco Maxamet knives cutting cans and being thrust through them. It's pretty tough.

I definitely would buy a Maxamet Military.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Here they are. I don't treat my folding knives like this but it's good to know Maxamet can take it. These are BBB videos:

https://youtu.be/YVSj59PaBxU

https://youtu.be/PEL70quVOMk

https://youtu.be/KZPKIC8oCbE
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:27 pm

Maxamet is not fragile in any way.
Its more a matter of the fact that Maxamet is more vulnerable when it comes to latteral stress. Other than that, it can handle a few tough tasks
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

A.S.O.K.A wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:00 pm
Naperville wrote:
Its more a matter of the fact that Maxamet is more vulnerable when it comes to latteral stress. Other than that, it can handle a few tough tasks
I wonder if the edge would have come out as intact if that were cruwear in those videos...
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

jpm2 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:08 pm
A.S.O.K.A wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:00 pm
Naperville wrote:
I wonder if the edge would have come out as intact if that were cruwear in those videos...
Cruwear is not as strong, more prone to rolling.yet more shock resistant and less prone to fatigue.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
archangel

Post by archangel »

Sal, Sir, will there be more Golden models with Maxamet blade?

Hint: Manix 2 XL, or Yojimbo 2... :rolleyes:
Michael
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Archangel,

We're still working with Maxamet. Some models each year.

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thank you Sal. :)
Michael
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

As much as I really do enjoy carrying my lw Manix 2 MM, please make a G10 version
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:30 pm
Hi Archangel,

We're still working with Maxamet. Some models each year.

sal

Sal, you kept your word with the upcoming Sage 1 Maxamet. Thank you for that!

Nevertheless: the Maxamet roadmap still has more models in-the-works? It's not over yet?
Michael
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

I must admit a Lil’ Native with Maxamet blade steel is very exciting.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I changed my mind from above. I'm looking for the Native Chief with it's back-lock to be released in Maxamet.