Burnt Orange Rex 45 para 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
legOFwhat?

Re: Burnt Orange Rex 45 para 3

Post by legOFwhat? »

https://whitemountainknives.com/sprint- ... 223gpbore/

Whitemountainknives still in stock as well. Been there since last Wednesday....
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
sbh06

Post by sbh06 »

restless ghost wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:35 am
In stock at Blade HQ
Thanks for the heads up. I was able to finally get one!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

koenigsegg wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:31 pm
Did you see the abuse bbb put rex 45 thru!

https://youtu.be/WOpu13O_OFE
That's impressive. But how does it do vs. staples? :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Cali HogHead

Post by Cali HogHead »

restless ghost wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:35 am
In stock at Blade HQ
Thank you so much for the heads up on this. I really wanted to try Rex 45, and it is going to be my first Para 3!
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

No problem at all! Happy to enable :)
*now showing out of stock*
hackzogan

Post by hackzogan »

I hope people that really wanted one got it and not just a bunch of flippers. Congrats to those who finally scored! That was the longest open window we've seen yet, I believe.
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

Just missed out at BHQ. I had one in the cart but by the time I entered my payment info they were gone.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:52 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:31 pm
Did you see the abuse bbb put rex 45 thru!

https://youtu.be/WOpu13O_OFE
That's impressive. But how does it do vs. staples? :D

Why you gotta post this video? This is exactly the type of steel I enjoy. You made me order a PM2 to match my Para 3! And I was only really planning on getting a Millie to try! :confused:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Spydersense wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:44 pm
Extra330SC wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:17 pm
If anyone is still looking Knifejoy has some in stock!
https://knifejoy.com/spyderco-c223gpbor ... print-run/

James
Thanks, got the last one!
Glad it worked out...sweet knife for sure.

James
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Picked this one up earlier this afternoon! I'm super satisfied! No play, loose action, even bevel, crisp screws, it really is a perfect Para 3 specimen. I honestly love the size of the Para 3 (So far, this and the Jade/M4) but I really do wonder how many people are truly using the lanyard hole...

Honestly, if I'm way off base here please let me know, but I wonder if Sal and Eric would consider either downsizing or nixing the lanyard hole all together on the Para 3 in exchange for a much more pocket friendly carry...I understand that it has the same size lanyard hole as the PM2 because it is an iteration there of, but this model just seems much more EDC oriented and honestly I get the impression that there are many people who are immediately replacing or even removing the pocket clip all together to get a more pocket suitable carry. I know this issue has been beaten into the ground, but I really do believe that this is a model which would be better served by having no lanyard hole or at least a significantly downsized (yet paracord friendly) lanyard hole at the benefit of having a much more pocketable 3 inch blade.

Please don't direct any hate this way, I am just thinking out loud, and would like to get a small census. This really is an absolutely fantastic design and I wish I would have fully realized the beauty of the design while the Cruwear version was still readily available, but alas I will have to wait for the Rex 121, haha!

Happy cutting!
So it goes.
Ric

Post by Ric »

If you make the handle smaller the grip is not so good anymore.

I have the Griptilian mini and its the lanyard smaller but therefore the small finger has no place to sit anymore.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I'm not talking about making the scale any smaller, I'm just suggesting removing the lanyard hole and moving the clip towards the end of the handle scales, so that you have less of the knife above the pocket line...
So it goes.
Joey

Post by Joey »

With the option of an aftermarket deep carry clip costing anywhere between $20-$80, I think the way the knife comes is as good as it can be. You have options ;) and that’s part of what makes these knives so great!
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

Airlsee wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:07 pm
I'm not talking about making the scale any smaller, I'm just suggesting removing the lanyard hole and moving the clip towards the end of the handle scales, so that you have less of the knife above the pocket line...
Or you could go out and buy a deep-carry clip instead of advocating for reduced functionality for a significant number of loyal consumers just because you don't personally see any use for that functionality.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Lorelei wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:06 am
Airlsee wrote:
Or you could go out and buy a deep-carry clip instead of advocating for reduced functionality for a significant number of loyal consumers just because you don't personally see any use for that functionality.

I see more people changing out the clip than I do using the lanyard hole.

I believe he is asking for the knife to be more functional out of the box, not less. He’s not advocating for the lanyard hole to be removed, just moved around. CQI is a thing for Spyderco and feedback here on the forum is appreciated by the company.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:12 am
Lorelei wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:06 am
Airlsee wrote:

I see more people changing out the clip than I do using the lanyard hole.

I believe he is asking for the knife to be more functional out of the box, not less. He’s not advocating for the lanyard hole to be removed, just moved around. CQI is a thing for Spyderco and feedback here on the forum is appreciated by the company.
I'd appreciate you not preaching to me about the value of feedback, simply because I had the nerve to offer mine. I'm sure that Spyderco values you volunteering as their unpaid spokesperson.

It's nice that people can change out the clip. Problem solved. I'm sure that you have numerous ideas as to where that hole should be moved, for "more functionality out of the box".

On the other hand, there's already a hole in the blade. Maybe people can tie their lanyard there.
PStone

Post by PStone »

At the risk of sinking into another lanyard/clip discussion, I just want to say that I do use the lanyard hole in all of my knives. Please don’t remove it. I often use a very long lanyard clipped to my belt. When working on a lift 30 feet up, I don’t want to risk dropping it. I also use the same setup in my canoe. Please don’t remove the lanyard holes. If anything, add to more models(ex:yo2).
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

I'm sorry if I come out sounding irritable. It was a long, sad, night at work.
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

A lanyard hole, positioned where a lanyard can be tied in such a way so that the knife can be drawn by bloody and/or wet hands, past pocket flaps and at an angle where the knife is more easily deployed and ready for immediate use is a "military" feature that happens to also be useful for non-military types.

The size of the hole, its location, etc., all contribute to its functionality. Changing its location affects the draw. Changing its size can reduce functionality, such as being able to attach the lanyard through a loop drawn through the knife, rather than allowing one strand through. Lanyard are quite useful in emergencies such as a tourniquet, and if the lanyard is "permanently" attached via a single strand, then you have to untie it before you can use it, rather than slipping it off and having the option to cut it as needed.

I have no idea of the thought processes of the designer. Perhaps the word "military" was left out of the Para 3 name for a reason, and that the Military and Paramilitary lines are meant to be more suitable for such lines of work. I don't know.

On the other hand, it does seem to me that buying an aftermarket clip, or choosing a different model, is probably a good solution to an inconvenience rather than overly complicating things. Scales, clips, screws, and other products are readily available to those who would like to change the design as an "improvement" that suits a consumer's particular desires or needs. Drilling a hole in the perfect spot is probably not an option.

While some enthusiasts see more changing out clips than using lanyards, I doubt that any but a small fraction of consumers care about deep carry enough to do so. Just a guess. We enthusiasts tend to have a different perception of reality from the common consumer.
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

Lorelei wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:26 am
I'm sorry if I come out sounding irritable. It was a long, sad, night at work.
I heard. I'm sorry. You can't save them all. :(