Burnt Orange Rex 45 para 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cliffgeo

Re: Burnt Orange Rex 45 para 3

Post by cliffgeo »

The Rex45 Para 3 just now popped up as available @ KnifeWorks & was able to grab one...
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

cliffgeo wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:49 pm
The Rex45 Para 3 just now popped up as available @ KnifeWorks & was able to grab one...
And out of stock...
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Raymond3 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:01 am
Bento Box is now charging $299.95 for the Para 2 Rex 45.
Bento Box Shop should not be recommended to others because their prices are very high, they charge shipping ($14.95) and they do not accept returns.

Personally, I've even avoided them with their nice exclusives.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
cliffgeo

Post by cliffgeo »

Oh man that sucks, sorry... I was on and they both showed OOS, so I did the back-in-stock email notification thing, and when it came back up something caught my eye as I was closing the page, hit the back button, and it was available. The online retailers must be getting tiny allocations that vaporize in minutes...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Image Just arrived. Going to put the MXG clip on it tonight when I get home from work.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Raymond3

Post by Raymond3 »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:06 pm
Bento Box Shop should not be recommended to others because their prices are very high, they charge shipping ($14.95) and they do not accept returns.

I agree. That was the reason that I posted their price. I did order one of their M390 Para 3 recently and was shocked at the huge additional charges that they added. That is first and the last time that I am buying from them.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Raymond3 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:17 am
RamZar wrote:

I agree. That was the reason that I posted their price. I did order one of their M390 Para 3 recently and was shocked at the huge additional charges that they added. That is first and the last time that I am buying from them.
That knife is well worth the additional $15 for shipping though.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Raymond3 wrote: [quote=RamZar post_id=<a href="tel:1255612">1255612</a> time=<a href="tel:1534363593">1534363593</a> user_id=22819]

[/quote]

Why does everyone badmouth bento box? Shiny footprints?

I’ve ordered from them before through their website and through eBay as well. The $14.97 shipping includes up to two knives, regardless of price. Some dealers out there charge high shipping based on what you spend. Ask those dealers why a flat rate priority box cost more if the knife is $300 compared to $100 when no extra insurance is added?

As for the no return policy, I actually agree with it. I know that I’m not getting a knife that someone else returned after who knows what they did. Spyderco warrants against defects, not bentobox. Wal-Mart even refuses certain returns, and you have to contact the manufacturer.

Spyderco has never let me down when there was an issue with a knife I bought. The only time a knife has gone back to a dealer was for an exchange. And that didn’t even work out. I should’ve just sent it to spyderco instead. Because I ended up without the knife I wanted. Anyways, rant over. Back to the awesome para3.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:27 pm
Raymond3 wrote:
RamZar wrote:

I’ve ordered from them before through their website and through eBay as well. The $14.97 shipping includes up to two knives, regardless of price. Some dealers out there charge high shipping based on what you spend. Ask those dealers why a flat rate priority box cost more if the knife is $300 compared to $100 when no extra insurance is added?

As for the no return policy, I actually agree with it. I know that I’m not getting a knife that someone else returned after who knows what they did. Spyderco warrants against defects, not bentobox. Wal-Mart even refuses certain returns, and you have to contact the manufacturer.

Spyderco has never let me down when there was an issue with a knife I bought. The only time a knife has gone back to a dealer was for an exchange. And that didn’t even work out. I should’ve just sent it to spyderco instead. Because I ended up without the knife I wanted. Anyways, rant over. Back to the awesome para3.

Most dealers I shop with do not charge shipping if your order is $89-$99+.

Compare PM2 REX45 (MSRP $224.95) at BladeHQ for $146.22 shipped (I know it's not in stock now) versus $314.70 at BBB!

Returning defective knives to dealers I deal with is easy and most even pay for return shipping.
Last edited by RamZar on Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Duplicate.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I felt really bad for the guy who got a defective one from Bento Box Shop, no returns so they won't take it back and Spyderco doesn't have anymore to replace it with so then Spyderco gives you a credit for their store and that's all you get
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:56 pm
I felt really bad for the guy who got a defective one from Bento Box Shop, no returns so they won't take it back and Spyderco doesn't have anymore to replace it with so then Spyderco gives you a credit for their store and that's all you get
Any idea what was defective on it? Just curious
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Got mine today at lunch from National Knives and they threw in a free bright orange towel to wipe up the slobber :D :spyder:
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
PStone

Post by PStone »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:49 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:27 pm
Raymond3 wrote:
RamZar wrote:

Most dealers I shop with do not charge shipping if your order is $89-$99+.

Compare PM2 REX45 (MSRP $224.95) at BladeHQ for $146.22 shipped (I know it's not in stock now) versus $314.70 at BBB!

Returning defective knives to dealers I deal with is easy and most even pay for return shipping.
I totally understand what you are saying. You choose who to do business with based on how they operate. That’s exactly the way it should be. But there are a lot of small volume shops out there who can’t offer the same services that these high volume dealers can. Like free shipping and returns. It doesn’t mean they should be badmouthed on a public forum. So saying that bento should not be recommended to anyone is a little harsh.

I recommend them for anyone seeking NOS sprints and hard to find models, and also their awesome exclusives. And also you can shop them through their eBay during a coupon sale to save a little.
koenigsegg wrote: I felt really bad for the guy who got a defective one from Bento Box Shop, no returns so they won't take it back and Spyderco doesn't have anymore to replace it with so then Spyderco gives you a credit for their store and that's all you get
I feel bad for that guy too. Was it you? It happened to me with my only return to dealer I’ve ever done. No knife. Ran out of stock while in transit. Just money back. I too am curious what was defective and if it could be fixed by spyderco.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I seem to remember there was a cqi part and the other versions of the para3 had a different part Maybe, it's definitely been a few months and I wasn't able to search for it.

Same thing happened on my k390 Urban they didn't have any more gray scales to replace the stripped one so I got back a broken knife
Last edited by koenigsegg on Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:56 pm
Frankly if it came down to it, I wouldn't put up with the "no returns" policy from BBS. Whenever I've had an issue with something purchased online and the seller is being difficult, all it takes to resolve is contacting customer service from PayPal or the credit card issuer. I've found their goal is to make sure the customer is 100% happy in these situations.

My impression is the seller has little power when PayPal or the credit card companies are brought in. I treat this as the nuclear option though and have only used in a few occasions when it became clear resolution was not possible directly.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Got mine in today and after inspection, looks to be what I would consider collector quality, but I'm no collector. Even grinds, bevels, perfect centering, solid lock up, zero blade play opened or closed, blade freely drops closed, good detent, no blemishes. The sharpness was impressive for factory, better than just shaving sharp. Kudos to Spyderco and National Knives.
National also wrapped the Spyderco box in a burnt orange micro fiber cloth, the size of a wash cloth. Is this a UT crying towel, knowing I'm in TX? LOL... They just made my top vendor list.

I went out back, got some hardwood deadfall, and whittled across the grain for a good while. Sharpness was only very, very slightly degraded, but still better than shaving, so not only sharp, but stable.
I managed to keep the factory edge for almost 2 hours and couldn't stand it any longer, had to feel how it sharpened. Nothing extreme, just following the original bevels with a 30 yr old extremely used Eze-Lap 66F. I'll need more time on the stones, but so far according to the feel and burring, or lack of, it reminds me of some other knives of mine, in a good way.
I'll comment in DBH edge performance thread after I've put my edge on and used it in every way I normally use a knife of this type.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Weird, I've got 2 of these and both of them I had to run across my UF stones to get a suitable sharpness right out of the box. You whittled a bit and was still hair shaving sharp? Im jealous!
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Probably the best factory sharpened edge I've ever encountered. Not that it really matters to me much because I always sharpen them anyway, just surprising and rare.
I've had factory edges that seemed very sharp at first, but went away quickly with barely any use. I think this might be due to not getting the edge cleaned up properly.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I'm just afraid that this knife might cripple the rest of the knife industry. Maybe not. I'm just saying.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: