Something I do not understand about the Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Something I do not understand about the Chaparral

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ I may not be remembering correctly but I don't think I moved the spring quite as far as you did. Regardless, hope it works out ok for you!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I play a lot of guitar, work on cars and so on and thus haven’t found there to be an issue with the lock bar-
That said my sample size is my one knife so not the most exhaustive testing but I found a little bit of lubrication at the back locks pivot and some where the spring rides on the lock bar helps in the initial little while as the knife breaks in- but I would have been perfectly happy to just leave it be
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I guess the titanium version solves the clip problem :p
Last edited by GarageBoy on Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:59 pm
...That said my sample size is my one knife so not the most exhaustive testing but I found a little bit of lubrication at the back locks pivot and some where the spring rides on the lock bar helps in the initial little while as the knife breaks in- but I would have been perfectly happy to just leave it be
^ That's assuming the spring will actually break in. My CF Chap didn't seem to get any better over time. I finally became tired of it and decided to take it apart and see what was up. I cleaned everything and accidentally put it back together with the spring in a little different position. It was much improved. I took it apart again a few weeks later for some reason and realized why it worked better.

I'm no Hulk but I am athletic and have fairly strong hands. The CF Chap was difficult to the point that I was going to get rid of the knife. I really like the Chap so I'm glad I figured out a way to make it work for me. The Chap LW I had wasn't much better. So correcting that one was a no brainer.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I wouldn’t want the spring any weaker. It’s good. The problem was the narrow sharp lock bar. Sal fixed it on the FRN one.
- best wishes, Jazz.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Mine was stiff initially and now I don’t really notice it. I doubt the spring loses tension quickly. I think you just get used to it.

Are Dragonfly’s like this? I haven’t had any for a while. Just wonder if it’s part of making a tiny backlock to have the spring that stiff.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

My frn chap broke in just fine. And I got used to it. Wonder if a boyd regent would solve some issues? But that would thow off the lines
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:30 pm
Are Dragonfly’s like this? I haven’t had any for a while. Just wonder if it’s part of making a tiny backlock to have the spring that stiff.
The springs on my Dragonflies seem pretty stiff yet I don't have any issue depressing the lock bar. Judging by the tension on the lock bar and how strong the self close feels my FRN/HAP40 is a little lighter than my Pakkawood and G10 DFs. The DF lock bar is about .020" thicker than the lock bar on the Chap. The extra thickness combined with the Boye dent seem to make a difference compared to the Chap.
knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:32 pm
Wonder if a boyd regent would solve some issues? But that would thow off the lines
Below isfFrom 2011 when the Chaparral was first being introduced...
sal wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:20 pm
Monkeywrangler wrote:Hey Sal, why no boye dent on the Chapparal?
We shortened the well to eliminate the need. It's a small knife and not likely to be white knuckled. Also I decided to listen to the Deacon on the lines and the dent.

sal
http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/posting ... &p=1253471

It's kind of neat to read through that Chaparral thread! There's discussion in there about the Sage 4 too. I wish would've grabbed one of those a couple years ago when I had the opportunity to get one at a reasonable price.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am sorry to hear a few of you have had issues. I have two Chaparrals and have looked at several more over the years and I have never encountered the issue of the spring being too strong. I wonder if it was put in upside down at the factory? That would change the tension. The only, and I mean only, issue I have had was my original early Chaparral was too sharp on all metal edges (spine, lock bar, liners, etc.) and had to be dehorned. But this was fixed with later Chaparrals. (That knife is fine now after I dehorned it). The FRN I got as soon as they became available. It was flawless. It drops free as well as my PM2 when I depress the lock bar and locks up like a vault. The Chaps are wonderful knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:06 am
The only, and I mean only, issue I have had was my original early Chaparral was too sharp on all metal edges (spine, lock bar, liners, etc.) and had to be dehorned.

That's my only complaint too. I think the spring tensions are just right. Which one did you have to smooth out?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:14 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:06 am
The only, and I mean only, issue I have had was my original early Chaparral was too sharp on all metal edges (spine, lock bar, liners, etc.) and had to be dehorned.

That's my only complaint too. I think the spring tensions are just right. Which one did you have to smooth out?
It was an early run of the Carbon Fiber model. The edges were sharp enough to cut some hands. I had to dehorn it and I complained loudly about it here on this forum saying that my Cat had better fit and finish in that regard. I dehorned it in just a few minutes and it was fine. I have never seen another later version that was like that. All have been very good. My FRN is super nice. I am a happy camper. If only I could afford one of those nice Ti models!

I was about to get a RN but then the FRN came out. Then, as I started thinking about it Sal announced some new scale materials (Buffalo horn!) and colors perhaps. Since I was not sold on the RN, I am going to wait for the new iterations.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
pagant

Post by pagant »

Having only just bought my Chaparral frn earlier this week i have been reading some of the on line posts about them when i came upon your post regarding the lock , i got my torx bits and driver out and stripped it down, i am not sure how much of a difference i made to the positioning of the spring or if it was just cleaning out the innards and applying a fresh drop of oil but it now seems to function smoother than before, so i am calling it a win. Ta very muchly.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pagant,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

My chap FRN has been smooth as silk since the day I bought it. Although I own many spydercos it's the one I find myself carrying nearly everyday. Beautiful design. I've never had any issues at all.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:13 am
Is this some troll fad that everyone jumped on so they could sound up to date with the latest views?

I think some of the views in the knife community are definitely fads, especially when it comes to YouTube reviewers. Things are very exaggerated.
Every little bump is now a "hot spot". Every knife that isn't perfectly centered and every pivot that doesn't let the blade freefall is now poor quality or defective. Flipper tabs that stick out will eat everything in your pocket like a starving hyena. Liner locks will take off your fingers faster than the French took the melon off Marie Antoinette. And good lord, don't buy a knife with 8cr unless you enjoy chopping through things with a raw sausage. :D Sometimes it just seems silly.
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

^^ completely agree with both!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Get a Cara Cara 2 in stainless to practice unlocking. I like how hard it is. Very safe with strong closure bias and make the finger stronger! :p
Chris :spyder:
carrot

Post by carrot »

Now that I've owned three of these I feel qualified to say: the spring starts out pretty tough but does break in.

Easily one of my favorite EDCs of all time, small enough for easy carry, large enough for most cutting tasks, locks up like a bank vault, and awesome high-performance blade geometry.
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

I have a Chap Ti one my all time favorites and have no problem with the lock...painful!?...I don't get that.

The clip I took off within in the first hour I had it,
on impulse because the blue Ti looks so good, I didn't want it to be covered with a clip.
I usually never mess with clips I like to leave the knife the way it came its part of the ergos,
but the Chaparral is the only knife in my collection I took the clip off and it just feels so right like that.

If I want a clip I move up in size to the Native Ti much heavier more robust.
I really like these Spyderco titaniums with back locks.
Snap!!!
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_19.jpeg
48405485_10213161210328387_7147033671709491200_n.jpg
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

I really enjoy fidgeting with my Raffir Noble version, but I'm sure the FRN version is much thinner. Spyderco makes so many different models though, why would anyone actively complain that a specific model isn't comfortable? Just switch to something with a different lock or spring or whatever....