Does anybody else really dislike the look of spyderco knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Re: Does anybody else really dislike the look of spyderco knives?

Post by knivesandbooks »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:02 am

As for Spyderco knives, while I wish they'd produce more that looked like this...
Forever jealous of your stretch and persian
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Back in the 1990s I was working a tech project management job for IBM. We were putting together a monitoring center which involved lots of uncrating and unboxing, cutting strapping, thick cartons, plastic. The usual stuff. I was working away on a big box cutting with something that I liked and thought was a good knife for the job. One of my techs beside me pulled out this odd mid-size folder. It had a big hump and hole on the blade. He swung it open with one hand and commenced to render his carton into small pieces while I pushed and sawed through mine.

“What is that?” I asked.
“Spyderco,” he said, handing it to me. “Made in Colorado, you know, where you are from.”

Yes, it was ugly. Yes, it was an awesome cutter. It took me a while to understand that looks can be (and are often marketed to be) deceiving. Like others here I now see Spyderco Knives as being designed to cut things, different things, differently at times, but the emphasis is always on the edge and how the knife user can control it to get the best performance possible. A goal never to be completely achieved perhaps, but the pursuit of which I think drives Spyderco and our support and appreciation.

I suggest you might give a Spyderco a run for a while. Use one and see if you might see it a bit differently.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Ironically, I was first drawn to Spyderco knives for their looks. I remember when I first saw the Endura in the early 90s, it looked so different than all of the clip point blades that were everywhere. At that time, the Buck 110, SAKs, and other traditional folders ruled the world. Spyderco, being something different than those, was a breath of fresh air.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I saw a Golden Eagle on a lamp post near my house the other day. Was driving though and didn't have a chance to snap a pic. Still a really cool and somewhat rare sighting for suburban NKY.
:spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When I got my very first Spyder all the way back in 1995 I was sort of baffled by the looks of most Spyderco models but it quickly grew on me. When I soon realized that Spyderco focuses really big on the function aspect of their knives. Now I feel kind of weird when I have a folder that doesn't have the opening hole on it.

Personally myself I'll take efficient functioning over aesthetic looks any day. Anymore I really appreciate the differences between Spyderco and most other commerically made knives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is Lucy. She's completely indifferent to the look of Spyderco knives :rolleyes:

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nate wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:02 am
I saw a Golden Eagle on a lamp post near my house the other day. Was driving though and didn't have a chance to snap a pic. Still a really cool and somewhat rare sighting for suburban NKY.

We saw what appeared to be a real bald eagle up on the Loveland bike trail last year. He was flying along the river in the same direction we were going so we got a good long look at him. It was pretty wild.
~David
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

In mn bald eagles are so numerous I once saw 3 eating a dead calf and fighting over the tasty bits.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Personally, I like the looks of 'em fine. But more importantly, most of the shapes are so ergonomic, you can use 'em with your eyes closed.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:32 am
In mn bald eagles are so numerous I once saw 3 eating a dead calf and fighting over the tasty bits.
We don't really get a lot of large birds of prey around here. I think the largest you'll see is likely just a buzzard or maybe some owls. I've seen a lot of hawks but they aren't quite that big. We see more Canadian Geese than anything lol.
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Up until a few years ago I lived in a river valley northwest of Chicago. No Bald Eagles when I was a kid but lots of hawks. Then about 15 years ago I started sering bald eagles occasionally. Now there's 100's of them nesting along the river during the winter. It's really cool to see.

I've also seen Bald Eagles and Osprey a lot while Walleye fishing on the Mississippi river in Iowa and upper Wisconsin. It's cool you them swoop down and pluck a nice fish out of the water.

Canadian Geese are such a nuisance where I'm from that they open a separate hunting season just to cull them. They love the corn and soybeans and the abundance of water in the area.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:24 am

Reminds me of my first girlfriend. At first I was a little unsure about her but after that first kiss I was smitten.

9C1BC895-00D7-4E1B-B603-7E48927C0743.jpeg
Hahahaha! And what a beauty!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well, you know the old saying -- "Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes all the way to the bone."

That aside, the astute reader might notice that the OP doesn't mention a particular knife he is displeased with.

More importantly though, there is a bird up the the high country of the California Sierra -- the Clark's Nutcracker -- that I have become particularly fond of. I saw them frequently on my backpack there last week. Apparently they stay up in the high country and are smart enough to remember where they have stashed pine nuts during the summer, even when everything is covered by snow. Great birds.
lunde

Post by lunde »

I appreciate the simplicity and utility of the Spydie Hole.
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

lunde wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:08 am
I appreciate the simplicity and utility of the Spydie Hole.
Yeah it's great, it lets you deploy the blade a number of different ways, like a thumbstud, middle finger flick, Spyder drop, etc... plus there's no annoying thumbstuds globbed in red loctite to get in the way when you're sharpening.

As far as the looks I think the Manix 2 is one of the best looking knives out there. The black g10 is got a nice classic look, the LW looks cool with the textured scales and spyder logo.

I did not like the PM2 at first, I though the handle looked too long, but then I realized the blade is the perfect length, and the handle is the perfect size for when you really need some leverage.

Sure some of them might not look "tactical" or mall ninja enough for some folks, but they're not copying everyone else out there which is cool. I think they told Sal the same thing 30 years ago, lol.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

brainfriction wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:31 pm
Sure some of them might not look "tactical" or mall ninja enough for some folks...
Thank goodness for that, you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting “tactical” stuff...
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I don't think they look bad, I think some of them look good. But I'm not concerned about looks, I'm concerned about function because I own them and carry them to use. After all, Spyderco knives are designed for the hand, not for they eye. They are designed for function and they function well. "Beauty is as beauty does", so since they function so well they are beautiful in their own way.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Who can say that tue Slsyz Bowie doesn't look good though? Or shaman? Come on, that looks like a shark
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

As a teen in the mid nineties the original micarta calypso jr. caught my eye in a knife magazine, most likely tactical knives. There was something about those lines, both opened and closed, that I could never get out of my head. Years later, when I could finally afford a G-10 VG-10 PE Caly 3, it forever changed how I looked at a folding knife.

After years of repeated and varied use I now know what my eyes immediately realized years ago- one of the most iconic spyderco designs is, arguably, the most intuitive and fluid pocket knives ever designed. And one of the most beautiful.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:47 pm
brainfriction wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:31 pm
Sure some of them might not look "tactical" or mall ninja enough for some folks...
Thank goodness for that, you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting “tactical” stuff...
I think Spydercos are very tactical, but I'm always looking for more. How are they tactical? Every knife that I bought from Spyderco was bought with tactical use in mind. See signature.

I have not bought a bad Spyderco yet, and I have abt 6 more of them on my radar. I've never had a lock fail and the steel is top notch.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/