Why buy a custom when there's Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Extra330SC

Why buy a custom when there's Spyderco?

Post by Extra330SC »

I'm new (7 months ) to this wonderful hobby of using and collecting knives of all various shapes and sizes! I've got about 10 fixed blades and over 60 folding knives so far....including 15 spyderco.

I'm fighting a extremely rare form of melanoma and have been mostly indoors since last thanksgiving in a continuous state of recovery from surgical procedures to my skin. So to say I've had a huge amount of down time inside is an understatement. Added an Amazon account to my smartphone and stumbled across knives one day while endlessly scrolling through the expanse. ..it all went south from there. :)

Whenever I get into a hobby I research everything I can to get the most information I need to make good decisions. After buying a few ZTs, Benchmade, Kizer, Cold Steel, Becker, LionSteel, etc ...I finally got around to buying my first spyderco around January of this year. I purchased the fluted titanium military on discount and WAS BLOWN away with the quality of the knife. Not that the other knives were bad...but this military compared to the more expensive ZT0804CF was easily a couple steps above IMHO! I understand the military was on sale..but even if I paid full retail there was no comparison.

So fast forward up until present! I bought more spydercos (most exclusive and sprints) and noticed a repeated theme of quality matched with every one I purchased. I found this forum with civil conversation, company representatives that ACTUALLY listen and participate actively, a design for every job/occasion, and a stellar reputation of an American company.

I recently joined here but not on other forums that I still read. My question is ...Why would anyone spend 3-5K on a custom blade (I understood the art aspect ) when spyderco makes such good knives for a fraction of the cost and actually cares about its customers? I've read too many threads like this
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wou ... d.1573585/
and can't understand or wrap my head around it. Sorry to forum members or mods if I'm not supposed to put links like this in...I didn't read all the rules. Just looking for a little insight.

Thank you in advance for replies and I'm not trying to offend or stir up trouble. I've really learned a lot from reading the info on this forum.

James
brainfriction

Re: Why buy a custom when there's Spyderco?

Post by brainfriction »

I guess it's just the nature of any hobby. There's always the ones that go all out and try to have the best of the best, bragging rights, something that's exclusive, etc etc, and they figure the more they spend they more they get in return. I see it in just about every hobby of mine. Then at the opposite end of the spectrum you've got the budget minded folks, the ones who claim their $15 Ganzo is just as good as the $200 Benchmade... I'd fall somewhere in the middle, like you I like to research everything and try to find the best value and balance between quality and $$$.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Why by a Ferrari when you can buy a Fiat 500 Abarth for a fraction of the price? Ok..not the best correlation but you get the idea. Some people just want the best they can get even if it's exponentially more expensive.

I do agree with what you're saying though. I enjoy my Spydies and other brands that are similarly priced. I've seen some customs I'd like to have but I have no interest in spending that kind of money on one.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

For me, the value isn’t there with custom folders.
Custom fixed are a different story.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi James,

Welcome to our forum.

There must be a difference because in reality, both worlds exist.

I'm sure the wise people here will offer much wisdom to your question.

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I don’t think I could have put it any better than brother ABX2011 and I can only echo his sentiments.

I wonder how many custom knife makers could make a S110V Military for $US192.

Hope you make a full and hasty recovery too. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

To me most custom knifemakers produce stuff you literally invest in just like a work of "fine art" so to speak. I know of very few guys I've chatted with over the years that actually use any top notch custom blades made by well known master craftsmen for actually skinning a deer or filleting a fish. Most people I know that own custom made blades won't ever use them but they hope that the blade will acquire more collector and/or investment value as time or trends provide.

There are really very few Custom Knife makers that I would even want to use their fine art knives for everyday uses. Now Bob Dozier's stuff is kind of an exception to the rule for me personally. Because he produces some really practical, rugged outdoor type knives that I would love to actually use. His heat treatment of D-2 steel is legendary from what many people have told me and I can actually see myself using one of his custom folders or fixed blades for real life usage. I've talked to at least 3 people who own and use their Dozier models for hard use.

But other than Mr. Dozier I don't know of too many people in the custom knife market that have that type of reputation. I've wondered at times why Spyderco and Bob Dozier haven't considered a collaboration because Spyderco has provided us with some great blades for outdoor uses>> especially in the Salt Series. But to me most custom knives are nothing more than an investment in fine art. I distinctly remember when Bill Moran died and I had the privilege of meeting him 2 years before he died. The prices on his custom blades sure went skyward just like they would if a well known artist died.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

If you don’t know of them already, take a look at Blood Root Blades. I’m certain some buyers get one or more if they can and put them in the safe but they are made to be used and how they make them and the materials they use are just mind blowing.

If I ever had one, not bloody likely, I would keep it in the kitchen and try to wear it out.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have a few custom fixed blades I really like. As of yet I haven't had great luck with custom folders. I'm really interested in performance mostly and care more about the steel and heat treat than what the scales are made of. Spyderco has filled my steel junky / edge junky needs better than any other manufacturer or custom maker. When I found makers who used strange and exotic steels they were always on designs I was less than comfortable with and at prices too high. Now if Phil Wilson gets into folders I might try again. I have tried to not treat Sal and the team as if they were custom making knives just for me yet despite that they have come closer than any one else.

Joe
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I only own one custom knife, a Chuck Hawes barehead slimline trapper in black micarta with damascus bolsters, back spring, and blade. It is a beauty. I'm not going to use it. Maybe I'll carry it to my wedding. It's so pretty. But like many people have mentioned, I didn't buy it to use. I bought it to add to my slipjoint collection, mainly Great Eastern Cutlery. I must also say, the fit and finish isn't any better than a GEC. That isn't subtracting from Chuck's work, it is a compliment to GEC.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I own both a Spyderco Sprig and the (custom) PW B&T on which it's based, and although the Spyderco is a very good knife, the custom is fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another custom like that one, and I'd certainly rate it as worth the 2.5 production Spyderco knives (of the same design) that it cost.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I agree with this statement!

There are so many different knives to choose from, all of which have a level of quality and care not offered by competitors. Why should I go anywhere else when I already know where to get a great knife? I can toss a dart onto a board full of Spydercos and know that whatever it lands on will be great(even if I don't care for it).

I tried a few different knife manufacturers prior to my indoctrination into the Cult of Spyderco, meh! Once I purchased my first Spyderco, I was hooked.

Plus where else can you be like "Yo, Owner! Whachu think bout dat nu steel?" And he be like "It's cray cray! Dey say it won't make enuf chedda, but Imma make it anyways, cuz I want one!"

That's a slight dramatization, but my point stands.

Spyderco is the best.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For me the biggest reason would be to get a design or feature that Spyderco doesn't offer.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:28 pm
If you don’t know of them already, take a look at Blood Root Blades.
Just looked, those are BREATHTAKING!
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

Extra, I can relate. Although I haven't goNE through as much as you I to have scars over various parts of my bod caused by skin cancer and A typicals. You do raise a good question. For me I can't afford anything custom so to buy a stock spyderco makes my small collection just that much better. Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. Stay strong my friend.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Thank you to everyone for the kind words on my health, warm welcome, and well articulated responses! I knew this was the right place to join and learn from people who have the experience. I understand that goods and services are "worth" what a particular individual is willing to pay and also the "collectors " value on items from paintings to cars!

As The Mastiff stated very nicely. ..spyderco basically is production company that generally listens to the core of its niche customers and produces products (sometimes) that get enough votes on a poll....Unbelievable! !! They also listen to feedback, good or bad, and try to fix what is wrong. Most impressively for me (after reading old threads on this forum) coming from years of owning my own business and many more in high end custom service....is their willingness to admit their mistakes in public and ACCEPT responsibility!

So with all the accusations of poor custom service , getting caught using the wrong steel, false claims of in house manufacturing, shoddy work, etc......I guess I'm not at the point YET to see "value" in custom work! I know there are a lot of honest knife makers in business that do Fantastic work. But I don't see payin 3-5K for a knife that spyderco, Reate, We or other high end manufacturers can give me for under 500.00 bucks.

Thank you again for your time and knowledge! I look forward to learning more and sharing my enthusiasm about knives (especially spyderco ) with you. It's nice to find a place in todays world that people can share a passion , debate a topic, and not resort to petty insults that seems to be everywhere on the Internet. Well done!

James
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

It really depends on what you want for a user or as a collector. My ratio of fixed to folders is just the opposite of yours. If you want a Bob Loveless designed knife you need to shop in the market where that is being offered.

I bought a Neill Schutte 8 inch dagger in M390 steel and was floored by it. It is a Loveless fixed blade design. I had to go to where the market is. Simple as that. There is no single knife manufacturer who creates blades in all steels and all designs.

There is also probably no "best" knife manufacturer. Spyderco is unique because they are at the top of the heap when it comes to knife steels. But what if I'm looking for something Spyderco is not offering? You need to go to where the market is.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If I won the lottery I might pick up a few $1k-5k knives. But only because at that point money is no object. Brian Tighe makes this cool little Ti-mascus switch blade I always liked the look of, and the materials are top notch. If I had enough money to not care about scratching up a $1000 knife, I'd get one. I'd never buy one currently because I wouldn't want to damage it.

Honestly though if you want a knife that is as beautiful and well made as a high end custom, get yourself a 40th anniversary Native 5. A work of art.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal