Finding the Para 3: The Perfect Storm

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Re: Finding the Para 3: The Perrfect Storm

Post by Mr Blonde »

I think I kind of went the opposite direction with the Para 3. When it was announced, sure it was a cool design, but after a while I figured it couldn't compete with all my other 3" Spydies . Then I went I got one and started using it, and really liked the ergos and cutting performance. I don't see it as a smaller PM2, it's a different animal. It sits kind of between my G10 Caly 3 and Lil Temp 2 for me.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Knife is comfy and well built. Looks kinda weird however imo. If it's not a PM2 copy then why does it have the same blade thickness, spydie hole size, blade height and lanyard hole? I don't really care for the up swept tip it most of the time either, I believe it's more exaggerated on the PM3 vs PM2. Maybe if it was scaled down in all proportions instead of just length and move the clip to the end of the handle
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:26 pm
Knife is comfy and well built. Looks kinda weird however imo. If it's not a PM2 copy then why does it have the same blade thickness, spydie hole size, blade height and lanyard hole? I don't really care for the up swept tip it most of the time either, I believe it's more exaggerated on the PM3 vs PM2. Maybe if it was scaled down in all proportions instead of just length and move the clip to the end of the handle
I agree. It's definitely a goofey looking knife, but it's turned into my favorite platform thus far. Also hate that it's basically mandatory to spend an additional $20 for a deep carry clip as well. I see a lot of people saying how the PM2 and Para 3 are not the same knives...I own 5 total between the 2 and I honestly do think of them as the same, just the Para 3 being scaled down. Other than that, to me, they really are very much alike.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I feel like Spyderco should be lopping off at least a half millimeter of blade thickness for each half inch of blade length as they descend from Military through PM2 to PM3. Why on Earth does a 3" blade need to be that thick?
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

dj moonbat wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:57 pm
I feel like Spyderco should be lopping off at least a half millimeter of blade thickness for each half inch of blade length as they descend from Military through PM2 to PM3. Why on Earth does a 3" blade need to be that thick?
Definitely this. Should be much more slicey for the size it is. It's a tough, smaller knife though. I wouldn't try some of the cuts I make with it, with say, my Delica Pakkawood.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It’s not mandatory to buy a deep carry clip. It offers 4 clip positions. If you decide to replace the clip, it’s your choice. It’s not mandatory.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:56 pm
It’s not mandatory to buy a deep carry clip. It offers 4 clip positions. If you decide to replace the clip, it’s your choice. It’s not mandatory.
It's a pretty common consensus that it's one of the worst mfg clip configurations on the market. If you prefer tip up carry, it's atrociously bad. First day I carried my first Para 3, I hopped in my truck and buckled up. When I arrived at the store and went to unbuckle my seatbelt, the seatbelt had actually wedged itself inbetween the huge portion of the knife sticking out of my jeans, and my jeans. My seatbelt was literally stuck between them. That's totally unacceptable for that to even become an issue. Very poor design.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

RickC27 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:09 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
It's a pretty common consensus that it's one of the worst mfg clip configurations on the market. If you prefer tip up carry, it's atrociously bad. First day I carried my first Para 3, I hopped in my truck and buckled up. When I arrived at the store and went to unbuckle my seatbelt, the seatbelt had actually wedged itself inbetween the huge portion of the knife sticking out of my jeans, and my jeans. My seatbelt was literally stuck between them. That's totally unacceptable for that to even become an issue. Very poor design.
As you said, it’s a preference. It’s only atrociously bad for you, but many others don’t find it an issue. So, exercise your options rather than blame your dissatisfaction on Spyderco’s “bad” design. Don’t buy it. Move the clip even though you like tip up. Buy another clip. Carry it without a clip.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

As I said, MANY people have a issue with the carry of the Para 3. It's certainly not just me. It's actually my favorite model I've handled thus far besides my Chaparral LW (major thanks to you for aiding me in pulling the trigger on that one!)

The placement of the pocket clip and/or lanyard hole, causing the stock clip to be placed where it is tends to be an issue. For many people a deep carry, or even flush carry would be preferable to what is given from Spyderco. It's ok to have an opinion against what Spyderco puts out...you don't get suck off points here on the forum.

You really seem to be defending Spyderco quite hard here. For someone that doesn't even carry or own the model, your attitude towards my post is unwarranted and a bit irrelevant. I normally respect and enjoy your posts, honestly. I mean this in the most respectful way as possible, it seems you're out of your element on this one.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

MichaelScott wrote:
I agree! I bought a deep carry clip for the REC Para 3 exclusive cause I saw BBBs video and thought the bronze titanium looked great on the knife. But I've had no problem carrying the other flavors of the P3 with the stock clip...even in my normal cargo shorts! Different strokes for ....!

James
Attachments
2018-08-20 21.11.20.jpg
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I guess so. Id just rather not flash "hey I have a knife"...unless I knew I was around a bunch of other knife nuts!
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

RickC27 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:17 pm
I guess so. Id just rather not flash "hey I have a knife"...unless I knew I was around a bunch of other knife nuts!
Me neither.
Tip up, which is how I carry: deep carry clip makes it ride so much better and less noticeable out of the pocket in my opinion.

I am not the decision maker, but I would be putting some polls out before dropping some of these models. PM2 lanyard hole makes more sense to me, but not on the PARA 3. Guess it's a nice option, but how many people actually use it? Still bought it though.
C
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

RickC27, I have been carrying one for about a week. Clip was moved. I’m just saying that to claim Spyderco’s design is atrociously bad doesn’t make it so. It may be bad for you but that is another question.

I’d suspect if there were a large number of people relative to sales who wanted changes Spyderco would listen. They usually do.

Sorry you don’t like my opinions but like you, I am free to state them. I am open to rational discussion about them but not to personal innuendo. Sorry you are upset.

Team Innovation
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

All this talk about the Para 3 is making me want to buy one...
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:51 am
RickC27, I have been carrying one for about a week. Clip was moved. I’m just saying that to claim Spyderco’s design is atrociously bad doesn’t make it so. It may be bad for you but that is another question.

I’d suspect if there were a large number of people relative to sales who wanted changes Spyderco would listen. They usually do.

Sorry you don’t like my opinions but like you, I am free to state them. I am open to rational discussion about them but not to personal innuendo. Sorry you are upset.

Ohhh, I didn't realize you had picked one up! My bad. What do you think of it? Smaller knife, but also much beefier than your usual carries. Interested in your thoughts on it.

No hard feelings!
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Resized_20180510_191525 (4).jpeg
hackzogan

Post by hackzogan »

Good pic displaying the difference between standard clip ride height and that of the deep carry, Rick. Thanks for sharing.
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

I love my Para 3. It's my favorite knife (though only slightly ahead of my PM2...this week, anyway), and I haven't been bugged by the ride height with the standard clip.

That said, I do think the clip/tube design is a bit awkward. I can only guess that the large tube was retained as a Military/PM2 identifier (to keep it in the family), but a smaller tube might have been a more practical choice. Better still, the integrated clip/tube design on the Native 5 would have been a more elegant solution for this knife. Maybe CQI will bring us a different version someday.
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

RickC27 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:47 am
Resized_20180510_191525 (4).jpeg
I'm with ya Rick, I think the lanyard tube and clip placement is perhaps one of the biggest design oversights I've seen from spyderco.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

RickC27 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:18 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:51 am

Ohhh, I didn't realize you had picked one up! My bad. What do you think of it? Smaller knife, but also much beefier than your usual carries. Interested in your thoughts on it.

No hard feelings!
Of course not. I think that in order to think and have meaningful discussions one runs the risk of offending someone. I did not mean to offend but to differ and explain why. I am sometimes too blunt. My wife and kids tell me that so I’m sure it is true.

I have been using and carrying a Para 3 for a week, courtesy of Sharp Guy here on the forum. He volunteered to send one of his so that I could actually live with it and experience it personally. He is a true gentleman. Anyway, I don’t like to carry knives other than lock backs tip up, so he moved the clip to the show side at the pivot. This has the virtue for me of getting the clip away from my palm when using the knife. And, it drops the knife lower but it is still easily accessible.

I currently use a walker and leg brace that looks like it came from the Spanish Inquisition to get around and sometimes a wheelchair depending on circumstances. This means that I am not comfortable with larger knives, have little use for them right now and they are often viewed with suspicion in hospitals and clinics. That said, I think if I were to get back to larger knives, I would definitely get a Para 3. It’s size is perfect for my hands. The blade shape, hole and ramp are very much Para Military 2 like, which is an outstanding design. When you see photos of the Para 3 blade it may look shorter and 'fatter' than it really is. But it has outstanding ergonomics and feels just right in hand. (I know that is a subjective evaluation but I wanted to say it anyway, LOL). I have had two Para Military 2s and ended up selling them both because I seldom carried them. They were just too big for me.

So, if you are at all interested in the Para 3 and are put off by the clip and lanyard hole, I suggest you get one and try a couple of options as we discussed earlier. I certainly think the overall attributes and value of the knife are worth a small compromise.

Regards,

Michael

Team Innovation