Spyders That Never Had Teeth That Should Have

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyders That Never Had Teeth That Should Have

Post by JD Spydo »

I've talked about this subject before but it's been a while now. But there have been some really great models that Spyderco has introduced over the years and only made them available in plain edge. It grieves me because I just know in my gut had they been available in Spyderedge they would have been a Box Office success.

Some of the past models that I personally believe should have been available in SE are the SUPERHAWK, All Of The Jason Breeden models especially the RESCUE & the C-111 Captain, The G-10 Ayoob Sprint, And the Catcherman which at one time did have teeth but became extinct. This is just a handful of ones I can think of and I'm sure that many of you have have had several newer or even past models that you desired in SE but for whatever reason they never were made available.

I know I'm not the only one who wanted some of these models with teeth and I'm sure there are many that would have done well with teeth that were passed over. I've also been disappointed that not since the TEMPERANCE 1 model has there been any outdoor type fixed blades offered in Spyderedge. Spyderco's fixed blades in SE are the bomb for food work especially. So let's chat about the those you all wish were available in Spyderedge? Also I think it's high time for some Spyderedged Sprint Runs IMO.
ThePeacent

Re: Spyders That Never Had Teeth That Should Have

Post by ThePeacent »

don't forget about the Ulize, JD, that'd have been a true slim pocket chainsaw :cool:
I personally would love to see a SE Resilience it seems to work on the Tenacious so why not? :p

also, a SE Crossbill, that Byrd claw would be deadly effective with teeth and I could compare PE vs. SE 8Cr13MoV

FInally, I believe they were made at some point for very limited time but now that I'm getting a Emerson Endura 4, I'd like to have it in SE to compensate for the lack of FFG and having a thinker saber grind blade :o
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

They did make the SE Emerson Waved Endura. I know because I missed my chance at one awhile back because I thought it might be fake. In the time it took to research if it was real, it was sold. I'd buy one for sure.

I really just want the delica and Endura SE models to come in ffg serrations like the delica wharncliffe.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:50 am
don't forget about the Ulize, JD, that'd have been a true slim pocket chainsaw :cool:
I personally would love to see a SE Resilience it seems to work on the Tenacious so why not? :p

also, a SE Crossbill, that Byrd claw would be deadly effective with teeth and I could compare PE vs. SE 8Cr13MoV

FInally, I believe they were made at some point for very limited time but now that I'm getting a Emerson Endura 4, I'd like to have it in SE to compensate for the lack of FFG and having a thinker saber grind blade :o
Peacent I just knew you would hit the nail directly on the head. You are so right about the ULIZE model because I've said for a long time now that they should have done at least one of those Recurve models in Spyderedge and that would have been about the very best Recurve model to make with teeth. My wishful pick would have been the Spyker but the ULIZE would have been in my user arsenal had it been available in Spyderedge.

Very interesting concerning the Crossbill because like I said there shouldn't have been any Hawkbill without teeth. You can throw the Karahawk in to that mix as well. I've even thought at times that a serrated Karambit would have been most interesting. You are always spot on Brother Peacent :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd buy a full SE Ulize right now. That's probably my top pick.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:59 am
I really just want the delica and Endura SE models to come in ffg serrations like the delica wharncliffe.
This...this is the biggest mistake in the current Spyderco line-up IMO.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Yes, a SE Ulize would've been a great sales success I am sure :rolleyes:

I guess the Szabo has too slender (non-wide) of a blade to put serrations on it but it would be like a heavy duty beefed up Catcherman with full teeth, don't you think JD? :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:39 am
Yes, a SE Ulize would've been a great sales success I am sure :rolleyes:

I guess the Szabo has too slender (non-wide) of a blade to put serrations on it but it would be like a heavy duty beefed up Catcherman with full teeth, don't you think JD? :spyder:
Extremely interesting Peacent!!! Because even though I haven't owned or used the Szabo model as of yet it is on my wish list and has been for a while now. What really appeals to me about that Szabo model is that it is about as close as you can get to the C-60 Ayoob model as far as overall design aspects. I truly consider the C-60 Ayoob about Spyderco's very best SE model over the years and the Szabo model has a belly that about matches the C-60. I've always been an avid admirer of Laci Szabo's designs over the years and yes I do believe that would be a great choice for a Spyderedged edition.

As far as comparing it to the Catcherman in SE I guess there are some similarities but they truly are of two different genres the more you think about it. This isn't the first time we've had a group of people asking for a Spyderedged Recurve. The ULIZE would be the best overall candidate for that I'm sure. Although again I would state that my personal top choice would be to resurrect the SPYKER model in SE. The Spyker was probably the most rigid/stout of all of Spyderco's Recurve models. But the ULIZE in Spyderedge?? >> **** yes!!! I would buy one in a nanosecond.

As far as beating a broken drum I still say that the Dodo model was far more of a beast in Spyderedge and at some point I want to see a Sprint Run of a Spyderedged Dodo model.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I would also buy a full SE Ulize. That was another model that I was on the fence for, and SE would have shoved me off.

The concave portion of the Captain seemed like a prime opportunity for SE. I probably wouldn’t buy it anyway but just saying.

I’d like to see a Yojimbo 2 in SE.

I’d like to see another run of the R in FFG SE (the second run had both and the SE was FFG). I know this one is kind of not in the category of “never” but it was never truly in production, just limited, and the most recent sprint was PE only.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Recurves make sense because you get a hawkbill and a belly in the same blade. A SE recurve is a nice combination of blade types and since you sharpen it differently than PE it doesn't suffer from the same issues as with sharpening a PE recurve.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:18 am
Recurves make sense because you get a hawkbill and a belly in the same blade. A SE recurve is a nice combination of blade types and since you sharpen it differently than PE it doesn't suffer from the same issues as with sharpening a PE recurve.
David you and I have been singing in the same choir for quite some time now and like you I can't figure why they didn't do at least one of those Recurve models in SE. It truly would be like having a mini-chainsaw in your hand. It would particularly be wicked with those Spyderco Japan serrations which tend to be of a more "spikey" variety.

You said it all>> it is truly like having an SE Hawkbill with an SE blade with convex belly to it. I bet even the old "ADVENTURA" that Brother "Dialex" did for Spyderco would even be a beast in SE. But the ULIZE would be a mega-beast in Spyderedge no doubt about it.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

There aren't many blades I wouldn't like to see in SE. I'm currently fully enamored with the Chaparral. It's the first PE blade I've carried that I've really been happy with. But I do wonder if serrations on what is already a very slicey blade would be awesome.

I also still kind of like the Positron but haven't been happy with its cutting performance at all. I'm planning on reprofiling it when I have some free time.

Small blades really benefit from SE. The Ambitious should have had an SE version like the larger Tenacious, that would be a great combo.

And oh, what about the upcoming Bow River?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

yes JD it seems that you have been pursuing this for a while... :p

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65196

also, inward curved Spydies would be nice in SE for the most part (to my eyes), :rolleyes: like the Shabaria, Kris, Dodo, P'Kal as well as the long and extremely curved (Persian?) styled ones, like the Mamba, the Tighe Stick or Chinook :cool:

but I guess I have too much love for serrations made the Spyderco way and I perfectly understand I may be the only one with such SE appetite, and these extreme views :o
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:09 pm
But I do wonder if serrations on what is already a very slicey blade would be awesome.

In my experience the same qualities that make a PE blade slice well also apply to SE. The thinner the blade grind the easier a blade slices regardless of the edge type, physics still apply. It doesn't make as much difference in materials like rope but anything that a blade can bind up into and wedge into will benefit from a thinner blade. That's probably part of why you like your Chaparral so much.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:28 pm
zhyla wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:09 pm
But I do wonder if serrations on what is already a very slicey blade would be awesome.

In my experience the same qualities that make a PE blade slice well also apply to SE. The thinner the blade grind the easier a blade slices regardless of the edge type, physics still apply. It doesn't make as much difference in materials like rope but anything that a blade can bind up into and wedge into will benefit from a thinner blade. That's probably part of why you like your Chaparral so much.
That one observation you made a couple of years back when discovering that full flat grind blades tend to make extremely efficient cutters>> which is quite true by the way. Before you ever posted that fact I always thought that my original C-54 big Calypso in full Spyderedge at that time was among the very best of my blades with teeth. And yes it was a full flat grind as most of the Calypso series is.

There are a few exceptions however>> as with the C-60 Massad Ayoob SE model which is a hollow grind with a belly and it cuts like a laser. And yes many of the small bladed Spyders do extremely well with serrations. Some great examples are the old SPUR model which was a hidden super classic IMO and with teeth it was even nicer. The Dodo was awesome with teeth as well as The Meerkat model. And yes I even had one guy tell me that he liked the Spyderco D' Alton TOAD model in SE>> I couldn't hardly believe that they made that small of a blade in SE but they did.

Serration teeth make a lot of models even better.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

knivesandbooks wrote:
That would be really nice. I have a SE Caly 3 and it really cuts much better than the SE Delica.

I don't worry about babying the SE Delica or Endura with the thicker grind.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Evil D wrote:
Definitely. My question/thought was more that maybe on a suitably thin PE blade the benefit of SE is not as dramatic. I guess I have a Cricket somewhere which is crazy as it sounds the same blade stock thickness as the Chaparral. I don't think I've ever used it for much more than opening letters.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:48 pm
Evil D wrote:
Definitely. My question/thought was more that maybe on a suitably thin PE blade the benefit of SE is not as dramatic. I guess I have a Cricket somewhere which is crazy as it sounds the same blade stock thickness as the Chaparral. I don't think I've ever used it for much more than opening letters.

They definitely cut more aggressively the thinner they are but the issue with some materials slipping off the edge would still apply, while nothing slips off serrations.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey Guys!!!!??? Yeah you all are making some excellent points but please let's try to stay on track>> So which Spyderco models do you all wish were offered in Spyderedge that previously were not? Also you can include models that at one time were offered in Spyderedge but were no longer offered in SE. The Dodo being an excellent example as well as the big C-54 Calypso because neither one of them have been offered in Spyderedge since around the early 2000s or thereabout.

Or the C-111 Captain model which was never offered in SE as well as the SUPERHAWK Hawkbill model>> because both of those were models that would have greatly benefited if they were offered in SE. I would bet that both of those models would have sold at least 8 to 10 times the units they did had they been available in Spyderedge. I bet if both of those models were offered in a Spyderedged Sprint Run of maybe 1200 units they would sell out within 2 months or maybe even less than that. Also I'm quite sure that there are several newer, post 2012 models that would have done well in SE as well.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

ASmitty wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:30 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
This...this is the biggest mistake in the current Spyderco line-up IMO.
Yes I have been wanting this for a long time. If they end up making an ffg serrated Endura I'm buying both it and a normal orange Endura and swapping the scales to get an orange serrated one :) :spyder:

Maybe a serrated version of the newest Police, too.

And this isn't quite on topic, but I'd really love a plainedge version of the original Rescue. The stainless-handled Mariner came in both edge types, and the Rescue gen 2 came in both edge types, but the lovely original Rescue which looks like an FRN Mariner was only ever produced in serrated. :( I'd like it to be flat-ground as well, with a better blade steel than G-2, while they're at it.