Dragonfly ZDP-189 for hard use????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Dragonfly ZDP-189 for hard use????

Post by steelcity16 »

A Native LW Salt in H1 SE is one of my dream combos. Pretty sure that would be a perfect knife for OP. You get the legendary H1 SE blade on a small knife that is a little more solid and refined than something like a Salt 2 / Salt 1. I know they used H1 on the Autonomy in Golden, so maybe one day my dream could come true! That might be a cool sprint/exclusive. Maybe the neon green/black blade combo like on the USN Catcherman?? :eek:
Last edited by steelcity16 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:01 pm
I agree with both Sal and Steel City. Serrated H1 but bigger than a Dragonfly. Salt 2 or Pacific would be my go to knife. I'd also recommened keeping a replaceable blade utility knife for the real nasty stuff.

Yeah, I would go bigger too for a work knife. The Native LW is great and my personal favorite. A Salt 2 in SE would be a great choice, or if you can go a little larger, I agree that the SE Pacific Salt is amazing!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

There is no doubt I love me some Spyderco but in all honesty, I wouldn't recommend any of them for the kind of daily work you'r describing. Daily, or near daily exposure to carpet and drywall will be rough on any model, not just the steel but the grit getting into the internals as well.

I would absolutely recommend you buy a Dragonfly 2. While I personally wouldn't buy a ZDP-189 version, it is still a truly fantastic knife. I'd have it in my pocket but for the tasks you're describing I would be carrying a folding, locking utility knife with disposable blades.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It really is hard to beat a cheap razor utility knife for carpet and drywall. You're going to be sharpening a pocket knife so much you're going to wear the blade out fairly quick. If you're doing carpet and you're cutting against floor boards and hitting old carpet tack strips it's really going to chew up your edge. I'm usually an advocate for using my knives but carpet is one of the worst things to cut.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:14 pm
It really is hard to beat a cheap razor utility knife for carpet and drywall. You're going to be sharpening a pocket knife so much you're going to wear the blade out fairly quick. If you're doing carpet and you're cutting against floor boards and hitting old carpet tack strips it's really going to chew up your edge. I'm usually an advocate for using my knives but carpet is one of the worst things to cut.

Yeah, the new stanley carbide utility knife blades are great. I just wish I could find a utility knife that I liked as much as my spydies. I die a little every time I pull out a utility knife instead of a spydie.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Time to reveal the latest Spyderco; the CarpetSpy Utility Tool or C.U.T.

Notice signature hole in blade holding device.

Okay, so its a Magnum (Böker) :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've had a few decent folding utility knives but honestly one of the biggest advantages of a disposable blade utility knife is the OTF blade action, it's faster and more convenient than a folder if you're doing a job where you need to cut something often.

I actually like these safety oriented utility knives that need to be squeezed to be opened. If I were doing carpet or drywall I'd probably put one of these on a lanyard and hang it from a belt.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David