The Delica Always Creeping In

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
harronek

Re: The Delica Always Creeping In

Post by harronek »

Ken
anycal

Post by anycal »

I haven't been much of a Delica user. I had the FRN and Pakkawood, but they just weren't doing it for me. Ergonomics were good, but I just didn't enjoy them.

This one is definitely making me reconsider the model. The feel of the G10, overall slimmer, the action, and the color. Definitely back in rotation for me in this size category.

Peter
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Like many of use here, I have owneded a number of Delicas. Then somewhere along the way I abandoned each for a different, more technically interesting knife. And, most of them have also come and gone. So, a brief story.

In May I flew to NYC so that i could make the long cross-country drive to San Francisco with our son who was beginning his internship with the VA. I left my knives at home. When we finally reached Colorado for a few days at home before heading out to SF, I grabbed my blue Delica and took it along. We would be meeting up with family in the Bay Area so I figured I could prevail on getting my Delicas a ride back to CO.

It finally showed up today in the mail from one of my brothers-in-law. I think they threw it into a kitchen drawer in their camper where it stayed until he mailed it I as obviously been used and will need a thorough cleaning.

The interestiing thing to me is that i was very happy to see it. I intend to keep this one and let go of all others except the Rhino. My Delica has creeped back in.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
FK

Post by FK »

Ken,
One of my favorite photos from your many posts, thanks.

Are you planning on expansion with the new V-TOKU2 and WC HAP-40 or S30V ?

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Some days I don't care for the Delica, other days I reach for this
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I keep wanting to get something a little "higher end", but I'm finding it's pretty difficult to replace the Delica. It's hard to justify spending the money on something else when one knife pretty much handles 99% of my cutting needs.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Caustic Dick

Post by Caustic Dick »

The Delica is a badass little knife.
Don't get bit by your Spyderco........
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

I have the same “problem”. I have fancier knives. I have knives in better steels. I have knives I enjoy more. But for some reason I can’t explain, when I am in the house or if I am going to run errands, I keep reaching for the Delica. I think that is a testament to how great a design the D4 is.
Kiteman72

Post by Kiteman72 »

I admit to being a Delica junkie. And I've been on a real binge lately...

I recently got my first stainless Delica. Wow! Should have got this knife a long time ago. I would like to see a Delica special of some kind use the good ol' saber grind. FFG has been getting too much attention lately. Not that it isn't awesome.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Interesting. The Delica is undeniably a classic, one of Spyderco’s best sellers and a solid gateway to Spyderville for many people. There is nothing wrong with it, it is a surperb knife but it is now getting long in the tooth.

If one looks at the evolution of the Native compared to that of the Delica there have been more improvements, better materials and refinements for the Native.

This may be why I keep moving Delicas down the road. It is a very good knife for those who want a solid, effective lightweight pocket knife to carry around day-to-day. Nothing wrong with that.

I am more interested in that plus having and appreciating more modern, technologically refined knives for that purpose.

After all, Wild Bill once said: “Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars.”
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

anycal wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:57 pm
I haven't been much of a Delica user. I had the FRN and Pakkawood, but they just weren't doing it for me. Ergonomics were good, but I just didn't enjoy them.

This one is definitely making me reconsider the model. The feel of the G10, overall slimmer, the action, and the color. Definitely back in rotation for me in this size category.

Same experience here. Had and sold a few Delicas the picked up the Red G10 model and it is making me reconsider the Delica. Its a great little knife.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
harronek

Post by harronek »

FK wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:51 am
Ken,
One of my favorite photos from your many posts, thanks.

Are you planning on expansion with the new V-TOKU2 and WC HAP-40 or S30V ?

Regards,
FK
Just purchased a V-TOKU2 , already have three Hap40's of different persuasions , so I've got that covered .
To be honest over the last twelve months I've carried Hap40 almost exclusively .
The rare exception is M4 or Superblue .
VG10 is all but dead to me , and ZDP is my fall back last line of defence when all else fails steel .
I wasn't planning on buying anymore Delica's , but " nothing ventured , nothing won " .

Ken
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Ive carried a Delica since around 1993/94. I've used it as an EMT, Army Medic, and Medical Tech/Asst. Grabbing my Delica is almost like hanging out with an old friend - there's a familiarity and history to it. I work a desk now so I know if my Delica handled those past jobs, it can easily handle what I need a knife for now.

I only own a SE ZDP-189 version and a brown FRN FFG VG-10 version now. The SE ZDP-189 was great at opening medical supplies, and cutting fast dry cast material. It has since become my car knife. My FFG VG10 version is a part of my work EDC rotation, the brown FRN blends well in khakis.
archangel

Post by archangel »

That's what they call a workhorse. I guess they even advertise it like that. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
FK

Post by FK »

Ken,

My new V-TOKU2 Delica arrived yesterday, very nice QC from Spyderco.
I also like the Delica HAP-40 and have added the new WC blade design to my collection.
The ZDP-189 is a reliable edge holding steel and daily carry. it is certainly more fussy with sharpening routine.
Super Blue gets occasional gentle usage, really enjoy how it sharpens.
In addition, I have recently acquired a used VG-10 for comparison to the others.

When you receive the V-TOKU2 and give it a work out, I would be very interested in comparison to the HAP-40 steel.
Yours is real world experience, not push cutting cardboard or slicing rope with a thwack into a cutting board.

Regards,
FK
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:26 pm
Interesting. The Delica is undeniably a classic, one of Spyderco’s best sellers and a solid gateway to Spyderville for many people. There is nothing wrong with it, it is a surperb knife but it is now getting long in the tooth.

If one looks at the evolution of the Native compared to that of the Delica there have been more improvements, better materials and refinements for the Native.

This may be why I keep moving Delicas down the road. It is a very good knife for those who want a solid, effective lightweight pocket knife to carry around day-to-day. Nothing wrong with that.

I am more interested in that plus having and appreciating more modern, technologically refined knives for that purpose.

After all, Wild Bill once said: “Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars.”
I think the one thing that keeps me going to the Delica is the neutrality of the handle. Yeah, it has "finger grooves", but I don't find them as restricting as the Native's. It just find the handle more comfortable in the long run.
It would be nice to see another upgrade to the Delica, though I worry it will push the price above what one would consider the gateway point.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Tom S

Post by Tom S »

My latest is also a vtoku Delica. I also have two S30Vs, a standard HAP40, a new St Nick's HAP40 with red G10, and a standard VG-10. The vtoku and one of the S30Vs are the only two that are on stock FRM scales with all the rest on customs.