The Delica Always Creeping In

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

The Delica Always Creeping In

Post by knivesandbooks »

It seems no matter what knife I buy, the Delica always gets grabbed first. I don't understand it. It isn't my favorite knife and it's ugly. But when I'm around the home and I need a knife, I keep finding myself reaching for the Delica before any other. I'm at a point where I'm about ready to trade other models for a Delica. The latest Spyderhawk? Using that requires thought, would rather judt have a Delica. My Rhino? It looks cooler and is more work appropriate, but I would rather have the full grip and classic blade of the Delica. Even my Endura, I'd rather just use the nimble Delica. It's like my hands are a magnet for the thing. And what's funnier that I only have one. I'd like a few more to be honest.

I'm currently saving up for/trying to trade for a Hanan for its size and beauty but even that will probably fall victim to the Delica. Its crazy guys. Sure nothimg beats the fancier stuff and I do like my large slicers, but for a pocket knife that I don't have to think about, I cant find anything that beats it.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Daveho

Re: The Delica Always Creeping In

Post by Daveho »

i just sold my only delica... again.
vivi

Post by vivi »

It's nice to have that knife. For me it's the Pacific Salt...similar reasons, scaled to fit my hands.

I have fancier knives, knives that slice a little better, knives that impress friends more with their heft and build quality, knives in more highly prized blade steels - but nothing matches the overall package of my Pacific Salt.

Variety is fun, but I like having "the one" that I know can handle anything when I'm in a hurry to head out the door. I don't miss the days of trading for new spydies every week to try to find the perfect EDC.
:unicorn
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Hahaha! I can relate. The Delica is a superb knife and your dilemma proves it. It is one of my favorite knives. In fact, it was my favorite pocket knife until the Chaparral LW came out. It is still one of my more frequently used knives. It is hard to justify more expensive knives when ultimately the Delica is better all around for the job.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Same here. There are so many really nice knives out there but the delica just is the epitome of edc. Maybe even beating out my SAK.
vivi

Post by vivi »

vilePossum wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:06 am
Same here. There are so many really nice knives out there but the delica just is the epitome of edc. Maybe even beating out my SAK.
I think a Delica or Endura / salt version of either, plus a keychain sized multi like the Leatherman Micra, is a pretty solid combo. That's what I've got on me right now....Micra, Pacific Salt, and a couple of lights.
:unicorn
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:30 am
vilePossum wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:06 am
I think a Delica or Endura / salt version of either, plus a keychain sized multi like the Leatherman Micra, is a pretty solid combo. That's what I've got on me right now....Micra, Pacific Salt, and a couple of lights.
Totally agree. I just haven't decided on the Keychain multitool.. Do for me it is delica, SAK, light, pen.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:00 pm
It seems no matter what knife I buy, the Delica always gets grabbed first. I don't understand it. It isn't my favorite knife and it's ugly. But when I'm around the home and I need a knife, I keep finding myself reaching for the Delica before any other. I'm at a point where I'm about ready to trade other models for a Delica. The latest Spyderhawk? Using that requires thought, would rather judt have a Delica. My Rhino? It looks cooler and is more work appropriate, but I would rather have the full grip and classic blade of the Delica. Even my Endura, I'd rather just use the nimble Delica. It's like my hands are a magnet for the thing. And what's funnier that I only have one. I'd like a few more to be honest.

I'm currently saving up for/trying to trade for a Hanan for its size and beauty but even that will probably fall victim to the Delica. Its crazy guys. Sure nothimg beats the fancier stuff and I do like my large slicers, but for a pocket knife that I don't have to think about, I cant find anything that beats it.
I can completely relate to this.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

For me it's the spydiechef that usually is in the pocket with a df2 hawkbill and ladybug se salt and a gerber mp600 covers the heavy work. I don't enjoy the delica and plan to give mine away but I understand having a knife that just won't leave the pocket.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

More than once in the Spyderco forum on Bladeforums, I've seen people rave about the Delica and say that it is kicking their small Sebenza (their previous EDC standard) out of their pocket. That is all the testament to the Delica's usefulness a person should need.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I recommend the wharncliffe, if you want another. Great work knife. I can’t seem to (and don’t want to) get the Urban K390 out of my pocket.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

This is exactly my experience as well. I always try out PM2's, Militaries, etc. because they are more fun to flick and have exotic steels, but when it comes to actually using the knife for my daily tasks nothing can beat the Delica. How can I choose a $60 knife over knives 2 to 3 times as expensive? What a great design.
talesk

Post by talesk »

Agreed.

The delica is my primary user, and the only knife I have two of. I actually love the design/look and don't feel it's ugly.

I usually EDC my Manix... but when I need to work it's the Delica coming with me.
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
Wants: parata, kapara
In the mail:
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

Its the Stretch for me...gotta lot of great knives,
but the Stretch is my most comfortable knife that doesn't need any analyzing.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Native 5, lightweight blackout plainedge version with an s90v blade, made from swapping parts with a normal black Native and the Cutlery Shoppe exclusive. I like both my original Rescue and my serrated blackout Native more, but as far as "I need to grab a knife to have in my pocket today and handle whatever comes up" goes, this one's the ticket. Lighter than the Endura, full-flat ground unlike the Rescue, serrations are better for many things but for common EDC tasks I prefer the plainedge.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

I currently use my ZDP DF a lot.

I do want a Delica - preferably in the KAHR config.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Was never a Delica fan because of the looks and didn't care for a backlock. Now having the Delica Pakkawood and the Salt 2...I totally get it, and they have become some of my most often carried knives. The slicing ability is effortless with that HAP40/SUS410 on the Pakkawood. So happy I started using it instead of keeping it as a safe queen, I'm beyond impressed.
FK

Post by FK »

I agree with Delica always being in a pocket.
Even though I carry and PM2 or Military daily,,,, my left front shirt pocket has a Delica handy.
Thin blade and low angle make for a very efficient cutting geometry.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

My hap40 pakkawood delica gets carried most often, since the first run they sold. Easy on the pockets and gets crazy sharp.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Andddddddd I just bought the vtoku delica sprint
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!