My collection and thoughts (so far)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cptdean

My collection and thoughts (so far)

Post by cptdean »

I'm 50 years old, and new to the world of Spyderco knives. I remember when the first models came out, and I remember being a bit perplexed by the big hole in the blade. I mean, who would do that, right? They didn't get my attention back then. Flash forward a few decades and I am no longer a curious observer, but a full-blown customer, and I'm a bit disappointed in myself for waiting so long. So, I'm making up for lost time. Since joining the forum on June 30, I have purchased six knives (four for myself, and two as gifts for unwitting intiates), which I think is pretty fair progress so far.

Below is a pic of my current humble collection, followed by some thoughts on each. I'm not trying to write a review, as I lack both the talent and experience. But I have read nearly every post and watched nearly every video available for these knives, and I recommend you do the same if you're looking to buy one for yourself.

These are my impressions. Your mileage may vary.

Dragonfly 2, Zome Green, VG-10

What I like:
The Dragonfly 2 is pretty much perfect in every way. I really like the blade shape with the swedge, choil, and thumb ramp, and how thin and slicey it is. I also really like the Zome Green dye and the grippy FRN texture. I like how easily it rides in the pocket, either clipped to the opening or jingling around with stuff on the bottom, and it never gets in my way.

What I would change:
I honestly can't think of a single improvement here. Of all these knives, the DF2 may be the only one that's flawless for what it is. If I needed it to be different or more than it is in any way, it would simply mean I need a different knife.

Chaparral, Gray FRN, CTS-XHP

What I like:
Build quality, build quality, and more build quality. I love the FRN pattern, and I love that even with steel liners and it's thinner than the DF2. This knife feels solid, like it's made of pure money. I appreciate it every time I pick it up. This is my only Taichung kinife so far, and it makes me want more. I love the thin blade stock and the full stainless spacer, and I think the the wire pocket clip is perfectly placed. I especially like the lack of a lanyard hole, and I wouldn't use it, anyway.

What I would change:

The thin blade stock means think lock stock and, as others have said, unlocking this knife is not a pleasure. It's not really painful to me, just not very easy. That said, as long as you're not fidgeting with it, it's well worth a little discomfort now and then to have the knife be this thin. Maybe it could be solved with a slightly weaker spring?

Native 5 Lightweight, Dark Blue FRN, CPM S110V

What I like:

Ergonomics. Of the four, the Native 5 feels best in my hand. It's definitely in the "Goldilocks" zone for me. The lock bar feels positively fat compared to the Chaparral, and I love that the blade has the same swedge as the Dragonfly 2. The dark blue of the FRN happens to be my favorite color in life (it's why I had to buy it), and the S110V steel is just a pleasant bonus to me. The super-comfortable finger choil appears to be exactly the same as on the Chaparall, and is slightly deeper than the ones on the DF2 and PM2 (which seem to be identical to each other). The length of the blade, and of the overall knife, are perfect for me.

What I would change:
A few things. First, I know this is meant to be a lightweight model, but it's crying out for the same liners and spacer as on the Chaparral. As nice as it is already, I really want this Native 5 to feel more substantial and "rich". I know I could have opted for the G-10 variant to get a bit more heft, but I wouldn't want to give up the curves, texture, or color of the FRN. It's too nice! Next, I'd switch to a wire clip and drop the lanyard hole. The polished spoon clip is pretty, but I think the wire clip is better suited for this size knife. Finally, the lock bar, oddly, is wider than the blade stock, and it bugs me every time I look at it. The Chap and DF2 aren't built this way, and I can't figure out why the Native 5 needs to be different. In addition, there's jimping at the end of the lock bar and it's completely different than the jimping on the thumb ramp of the blade...it just doesn't match...and it's recessed below the edge of the scales, so my thumb doesn't touch it, anyway. Maybe skip it entirely on the Native 6? Neither the DF2 or Chap have jimping on the lock bar, and they look just fine to me.

Para Military 2, Black G-10, CPM S30V

What I like:
Without having sampled every knife Spyderco has ever made, I'd still go out on a limb and declare this to be the best knife the world has ever seen. Hyperbole, of course, but it's at least the best knife I've ever owned. I can see why it's a fan favorite. I love the look of it, the compression lock, the ergonomics, the blade and handle length, the liners...it's all good. Of the four I have, it's the one I'd keep if I couldn't save them all. I can add nothing to the countless reviews for the PM2, short of piling on another plea for interested shoppers to just go ahead and buy it.

What I would change:
I'd maybe round the edges of the G-10 a little bit. I get that the squared edges are helpful when wearing gloves, but maybe there could be a non-glove option. I'd also like to see Spyderco use a Flytanium-style lanyard tube, or at least stop peening the current ones. It's the only snag I hit in disassembly.

So, that's what I've got so say about these four knives. I like them all, and they'll all find pocket time, though I'll probably carry the PM2 more than the rest in the long run. Next on my buy list are the PM3 and Manix 2, but I haven't decided on variants yet. Maybe one of those will unseat the PM2.

Now, If I were to wish for a new knife, an amalgamation the samples I have so far, I'd like to see a Para Military 2 in dark blue FRN, with steel liners, a non-peened lanyard tube, and an S110V blade with a slightly deeper finger choil. I'd probably put one in every pocket!
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
holeshot

Re: My collection and thoughts (so far)

Post by holeshot »

Looks great! I totally agree the peened lanyard tube on the PM2 is a total pain in the a*#. That's why I love the PM3. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You certainly picked some good ones to be your first Spydercos. I suggest that next you buy a Manix 2 LW or Back Lock, and then get a Military. I like both of these far better than the Paramilitary and I am not alone in this regard. This is not saying the PM2 is not top notch, because it absolutely is. I just like the other two better.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Nice summary.

Warning, hanging out in this forum can be a slippery slope, it starts to seem normal to own multiple versions of the same model, to obsess over the latest super steel, to learn more and more about caring for your edges... before you know it, you own dozens of Spyderco knives, (or heaven forbid, hundreds :) ) and several of their sharpening products.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:55 am
You certainly picked some good ones to be your first Spydercos. I suggest that next you buy a Manix 2 LW or Back Lock, and then get a Military. I like both of these far better than the Paramilitary and I am not alone in this regard. This is not saying the PM2 is not top notch, because it absolutely is. I just like the other two better.

For the Manix 2, I'd really like to try the ball bearing lock, but I don't know what handle material I'd like yet. I do see both a Military and a PM3 in my future.

Dragonfly 2
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

rodloos wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:57 am
Nice summary.

Warning, hanging out in this forum can be a slippery slope, it starts to seem normal to own multiple versions of the same model, to obsess over the latest super steel, to learn more and more about caring for your edges... before you know it, you own dozens of Spyderco knives, (or heaven forbid, hundreds :) ) and several of their sharpening products.

I hear ya! The next few months will be focused on more Spyderco knives, then I'll start buying some sharpening gear. I'm literally aching to try my hand at it, and I'm already looking at everything on offer.

Dragonfly 2
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Good write up! It seems you and I may be in the phase, just getting started and wanting to sample everything on the menu.
rodloos wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:57 am
Nice summary.

Yep I've slipped!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Very cool post, thanks for sharing. I would recommend to try the Manix 2 next as it's a lock type you don't currently own.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Time to go big! Military!!!!!
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I would say you have an excellent, well-thought beginning. If you are to collect there are certainly many, many Spyderco candidates out there for consideration. And, as they design and release more, quality improve those stable designs making them different, better and more appealing it can be a continuous thing.

I am headed in a different direction now, reducing my Spydies to those few that “speak” to me. I have learned a tremendous amount about knives, steels, materials, design intents, uses, biases and trends here. All good edge-u—cation for me. And I have discovered which knives suit me and my life at this point. I am going to two, maybe three at the most Spydercos.

I like smaller knives now. I want quality in design and construction. I want a bit of difference in the design so that either will perform the tasks required of it but one might be more suited than the other. And, I want a difference in the ergonomics of the handle and blade so each has its own comfortable feel each is instantly recognizable to hand. Besides, this means I can have two Spydies that I will always carry and will make me smile.

My faithful Reinhold Rhino is course one. I have about decided on the other.

Enjoy your time here and with your growing collection.

Welcome!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

I feel the same way about the PM2. Went around the edges really lightly with some 600 and 1000 grit sandpaper followed by a felt polishing wheel on my dremel. I really like the way it feels now.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I know it's not on your list, but try the Caribbean. Imo it's leaf PE version is a PM2 killer and LC200N is a darn fine steel to boot. The scale pattern looks much better in person, although I'm looking into something custom.

They should use the Caribbean design as the folding mule.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

I appreciate all the replies! I was working with my buddy last night and compared his Delica 4 to my Native 5. I have to say, even though I might get flamed, the steel-lined Delica felt like a higher quality knife resting in my hand. The Native was much nicer to open and close, and the ergonomics felt a bit better to me, but the Delica definitely felt more solid. I guess I may have to try a G-10 variant to get the same satisfaction out of a Native. Or maybe a Para 3 will scratch the itch.

Dragonfly 2
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

One more update:

I swapped the clip to tip down, right hand, and I actually LOVE it now and no longer want it to be a wire clip. It feels even better and I'm going to leave it this way.

I do still wish they'd left off the jimping on the back lock, though. It doesn't line up with the blade jimping, and it's recessed beneath the edge of the scales. I just don't think it needs to be there. (Note: these pics also display the difference in thickness of blade stock and lock stock I mentioned earlier)

Dragonfly 2
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I could also recommend the alcyone or Polestar. The both fit into your size range and they are great. The f&f on my polestar is oddly superb
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
BearShark44

Post by BearShark44 »

Great feed, reviving years later with related question -
Does anyone follow guidelines on building their collection?
I'm at 4-5 spydies and want to get new sprints, but feels strange buying the same model in a new steel.
Right now, my plan had been a different steel in each model, all silver (black coated for non-spydie purchases).
But then the endela black cruwear drops on DLT and that breaks two rules.
Maybe rules are silly - you just buy whatever and sell those that get replaced over time until you have your "collection."
Curious how folks approach collecting. As always, great discussion.
:bug-white-red :camping MT39P-15V, MT33P-Rex76; Sage1-Maxamet, Endela-K390, Delica4-M390, PM2-K390, PM2-S30v, Dragonfly2-SB, AmbitiousSE-8Cr13MoV; others TBD
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Your entry into Spyderco knives mimics mine. I could not comprehend the hole in the blade until I bought one. Now there appears no turning back.
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

cptdean wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:42 am
I'm 50 years old, and new to the world of Spyderco knives. I remember when the first models came out, and I remember being a bit perplexed by the big hole in the blade. I mean, who would do that, right? They didn't get my attention back then. Flash forward a few decades and I am no longer a curious observer, but a full-blown customer, and I'm a bit disappointed in myself for waiting so long. So, I'm making up for lost time. Since joining the forum on June 30, I have purchased six knives (four for myself, and two as gifts for unwitting intiates), which I think is pretty fair progress so far.

Below is a pic of my current humble collection, followed by some thoughts on each. I'm not trying to write a review, as I lack both the talent and experience. But I have read nearly every post and watched nearly every video available for these knives, and I recommend you do the same if you're looking to buy one for yourself.

These are my impressions. Your mileage may vary.

Dragonfly 2, Zome Green, VG-10

What I like:
The Dragonfly 2 is pretty much perfect in every way. I really like the blade shape with the swedge, choil, and thumb ramp, and how thin and slicey it is. I also really like the Zome Green dye and the grippy FRN texture. I like how easily it rides in the pocket, either clipped to the opening or jingling around with stuff on the bottom, and it never gets in my way.

What I would change:
I honestly can't think of a single improvement here. Of all these knives, the DF2 may be the only one that's flawless for what it is. If I needed it to be different or more than it is in any way, it would simply mean I need a different knife.

Chaparral, Gray FRN, CTS-XHP

What I like:
Build quality, build quality, and more build quality. I love the FRN pattern, and I love that even with steel liners and it's thinner than the DF2. This knife feels solid, like it's made of pure money. I appreciate it every time I pick it up. This is my only Taichung kinife so far, and it makes me want more. I love the thin blade stock and the full stainless spacer, and I think the the wire pocket clip is perfectly placed. I especially like the lack of a lanyard hole, and I wouldn't use it, anyway.

What I would change:

The thin blade stock means think lock stock and, as others have said, unlocking this knife is not a pleasure. It's not really painful to me, just not very easy. That said, as long as you're not fidgeting with it, it's well worth a little discomfort now and then to have the knife be this thin. Maybe it could be solved with a slightly weaker spring?

Native 5 Lightweight, Dark Blue FRN, CPM S110V

What I like:

Ergonomics. Of the four, the Native 5 feels best in my hand. It's definitely in the "Goldilocks" zone for me. The lock bar feels positively fat compared to the Chaparral, and I love that the blade has the same swedge as the Dragonfly 2. The dark blue of the FRN happens to be my favorite color in life (it's why I had to buy it), and the S110V steel is just a pleasant bonus to me. The super-comfortable finger choil appears to be exactly the same as on the Chaparall, and is slightly deeper than the ones on the DF2 and PM2 (which seem to be identical to each other). The length of the blade, and of the overall knife, are perfect for me.

What I would change:
A few things. First, I know this is meant to be a lightweight model, but it's crying out for the same liners and spacer as on the Chaparral. As nice as it is already, I really want this Native 5 to feel more substantial and "rich". I know I could have opted for the G-10 variant to get a bit more heft, but I wouldn't want to give up the curves, texture, or color of the FRN. It's too nice! Next, I'd switch to a wire clip and drop the lanyard hole. The polished spoon clip is pretty, but I think the wire clip is better suited for this size knife. Finally, the lock bar, oddly, is wider than the blade stock, and it bugs me every time I look at it. The Chap and DF2 aren't built this way, and I can't figure out why the Native 5 needs to be different. In addition, there's jimping at the end of the lock bar and it's completely different than the jimping on the thumb ramp of the blade...it just doesn't match...and it's recessed below the edge of the scales, so my thumb doesn't touch it, anyway. Maybe skip it entirely on the Native 6? Neither the DF2 or Chap have jimping on the lock bar, and they look just fine to me.

Para Military 2, Black G-10, CPM S30V

What I like:
Without having sampled every knife Spyderco has ever made, I'd still go out on a limb and declare this to be the best knife the world has ever seen. Hyperbole, of course, but it's at least the best knife I've ever owned. I can see why it's a fan favorite. I love the look of it, the compression lock, the ergonomics, the blade and handle length, the liners...it's all good. Of the four I have, it's the one I'd keep if I couldn't save them all. I can add nothing to the countless reviews for the PM2, short of piling on another plea for interested shoppers to just go ahead and buy it.

What I would change:
I'd maybe round the edges of the G-10 a little bit. I get that the squared edges are helpful when wearing gloves, but maybe there could be a non-glove option. I'd also like to see Spyderco use a Flytanium-style lanyard tube, or at least stop peening the current ones. It's the only snag I hit in disassembly.

So, that's what I've got so say about these four knives. I like them all, and they'll all find pocket time, though I'll probably carry the PM2 more than the rest in the long run. Next on my buy list are the PM3 and Manix 2, but I haven't decided on variants yet. Maybe one of those will unseat the PM2.

Now, If I were to wish for a new knife, an amalgamation the samples I have so far, I'd like to see a Para Military 2 in dark blue FRN, with steel liners, a non-peened lanyard tube, and an S110V blade with a slightly deeper finger choil. I'd probably put one in every pocket!
You should check out the Stretch 2 in K390. It’s got a similar color FRN to that Native 5 and the steel is on par with S110V in edge holding, give or take a little. It’s isn’t stainless if that’s a dealbreaker. Otherwise it’s pretty close to an FRN Para 2, but I think it’s way more comfortable in hand.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Nice collection! I pretty much stopped at the pm2 after trying a few different models. Not saying I won’t try out a few others but the pm2 is my grail knife.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

cptdean wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:58 am
For the Manix 2, I'd really like to try the ball bearing lock, but I don't know what handle material I'd like yet. I do see both a Military and a PM3 in my future.
I really like the Manix 2 LW. I'm not saying its better than the G-10, but to me it feels better in hand, and of course it's noticeably lighter. It's easily strong enough for me, though the G-10 is probably theoretically stronger.

If you'd like to make the PM2 feel really great, I'd suggest Flytanium's Lotus scales. The micarta and G-10 ones are pretty reasonable, and they transform the PM2 into a knife that's very comfortable to hold and use.