The more I learn, the more there is to know

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

The more I learn, the more there is to know

Post by MichaelScott »

Over the years I have participated in many Internet forums. They once were, before the current dominance of the iconic-driven user interface like this one, called “bulletin boards”. Text only and frustratingly slow. But still. I even moderated a huge forum at one time which took six of us to control. This one, however, is unique in that it is pretty much self-regulating and wide ranging given that its subject is Spyderco, and peripherally knives in general, but mainly Spyderco. The nature of the forum, the company itself and those of use knife fools who continually hang out here have been a part of my life for some time and I’m glad.

I have learned a great deal about knives, and other things, here and realized that the more I learn, one of those things I have learned is that I want to know more. I think this would have been harder to appreciate if I had not been active here because often the discussions reveal more than just knife facts: steels, dimensions, materials, mechanical functions and so forth. There is a lot of information in these things but they are just the baseline for talking about and understanding knives.

I think we can all agree on a basic definition of knife. Something like a hard cutting edge with a handle controlled by the human hand.

Beyond that, things get quickly interesting and wild. We are into the huge and varying properties of materials and designs that influence any knife. Most of us here have a long history of knives, old, cheap, new, excellent and bring that information to the discussion. All good. For me, when things get interesting and fruitful, is when we get beyond those basics and turn to the why design and make a knife in a paraticular way in the first place and how the prospective users of that design will actually use and perceive it.

An example is blade thickness. Good? Yes. And no. And, maybe. It is diffficult if not inappropriate to slap the “good”, “bad”, “better” kinds of labels on knives without some reference to their design intent. Of course, but it happens a lot anyway and I have learned to be wary of such notions. Obviously, intent of use is imprortant in blade thickness. I often read that knives like the Para 3 are much thicker than they should probably be. Why? How thick should it be? It is often compared to similar sized knives like the Delica to illustrate that point, but they are different designs with different design philosophies and should really not be considered generally the same knife. I might never really need the thinner Delica blade, nor the thicker Para 3 blade but they are there for reasons that offers me more information and an opportunity to decide. All good.

Perhaps the most in-depth and interesting discussion for me is Lance’s evaluations of the H1 and LC200n steels in his world. This continues to be a most informative thread with actual observed data and well-considered opinions taken from it and pertinent responses. Excellent and I hope to see more discussions of this type around other knives and materials. Living at 7000’ in the American Southwest I really have no need for H1 or LC200n, but I am much more knowledgeable now about them and better able to make an informed decision should I ever need (synonymous with want) one.

So, I am really getting an Edge-U-Cation.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
legOFwhat?

Re: The more I learn, the more there is to know

Post by legOFwhat? »

tl;dr

j/k. I'm with you on the learning aspects of this site. I'm newly into knives and most of my time on the site is going through all the photo threads. It's amazing to see folks share their collections, adventures and landscapes through the lens of a favorite knife brand. To be able to go back to 2012, for example, see the evolution of blades and tastes is pretty cool too. I don't "use" most of my knives I just line them up in a row on my control console like Yondu and look at em(at least that's what my son said too me). That's changing though.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I've been on this forum for 3 years and I learn something new every day. Never a dull moment
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This forum in particular has helped me to learn a great deal about knives, steel, and other things. Along the way I have met some amazing people, too. What I wish Sal would do is take a more active role in teaching. I would like to know what goes into selecting designs, why certain features are added or not, why one steel over another, why a certain RC is chosen over another (what characteristics are we after on each design's steel choice with the RC, for example), and a lot more, besides.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

I have to agree, I went from cheaper pocket knives (sub 50$) to my first Spyderco last October or so (Endura 4), and man has it snowballed, I have 11 at the time of this writing. I have learned so much about knife steel, locks, sharpening etc. all thanks to Spyderco, there are a few other quality knife MFG's out there that I now own a few models from, but none push the envelope like Spyderco does, and because of that, Spyderco will remain #1 in my heart as far as knives go.

Literally the cutting edge of cutlery. see what I did there? :D
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
sal

Post by sal »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:41 am
This forum in particular has helped me to learn a great deal about knives, steel, and other things. Along the way I have met some amazing people, too. What I wish Sal would do is take a more active role in teaching. I would like to know what goes into selecting designs, why certain features are added or not, why one steel over another, why a certain RC is chosen over another (what characteristics are we after on each design's steel choice with the RC, for example), and a lot more, besides.
Hi Doc,

You ask the questions and I will either explain the reasoning or tell you that info is not available.

sal
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I had a high school teacher who always said, "the more you know, the more you know you ought to know".
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:55 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:41 am
Hi Doc,

You ask the questions and I will either explain the reasoning or tell you that info is not available.

sal
Hi Sal. How about a thread permanently attached at the top where you can discuss various issues so we can learn? Or, how about offering video short courses where you discuss all things Spyderco?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been on this Spyderco.com Forum since the fall of 2004>> September, 28, 2004 to be exact. And the crowd that was here at that time compared to the current group that participates at this time are like "night & day" by comparison. Oh don't get me wrong because it is still a great group of afis and various other contributors but the landscape and overall personality of the place has really changed. There's not too many of us "old-school" Spyderville residents still left but there have been a lot of newer "Post 2010" members who have truly kept this place very much alive.

But it is an interesting thing to observe as to what has taken place here in all the time I've been here because I've noticed that "high quality stuff" draws a pretty high quality crowd for the most part. Trolls and troublemakes don't do very well here and Thank GOD don't usually last very long either. It also amazes me because I have frequented other major competitor's websites and forums and I find it incredibly amusing how completely different fans of different knife companies are compared to this group.

Bladeforums is also a place I like to hang out at but there is just not the comradery there that exists here at Spyderville. Three of the other knife forums which I choose not to name that I joined at one time were completely different and some of these forums were truly cliquish and down right hostile places to hang out. Also I have never been on any forum where the owner of the company hangs out with the gang like Mr. Glesser does with all of us. And I hope this Forum is here another 20 years from now.
DavidOrtiz

Post by DavidOrtiz »

Very true!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi DavidOrtiz,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Not new to knives, but new-ish to good knives, and this forum is helpful.

Frankly a lot of the blade-related metalurgy stuff goes over my head, I've done some custom bike frame work but steel for that is very different, but I am slowly learning.

Mostly I'm pleased to discover a forum for info on knives that is informative, well-thought out, cares about the subject, and not filled with wannabe commandos, lol!

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:51 pm
I've done some custom bike frame work ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Ha ha! A spiderbike!

Seriously tho it was more like this:

Made from scratch one summer.
Fastback stays mounted to outside of seat tube on handmade cut lug extension, resulting clearance for 32mm wide tires...
Never used an oxi-acetyline torch before that, fun but kinda scary...
Lonerider
sal

Post by sal »

Nice work.

sal
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thanks! As my interest in knives grows maybe I will be fortunate enough to be able to work on (or even make) one. I am thinking that one day I will get me a mule bare blade and have a go at some basics... some day...