My Manix 2 just broke :( [update: fixed!]

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

My Manix 2 just broke :( [update: fixed!]

Post by zhyla »

The cage on my CBBL Manix 2 just broke. Then one half of the cage shot out and nearly got me in the eye. Guess this one has a trip to Golden coming up. Though I may have a spare cage from a destroyed LW that I snapped up for cheap years ago. Somewhere.

Do these just eventually break from the stress on the cage during unlock?
Last edited by zhyla on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: My Manix 2 just broke :(

Post by Doc Dan »

I have heard of this occasionally happening. I do not think it is common. Perhaps putting titanium or aluminum cages would be a better option.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
attila

Post by attila »

Was this an older model?

I may be misremembering, but I seem to recall that that was a weakness in the earlier translucent Manix cages, contributing to their disuse for the past several years.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

attila wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:06 am
Was this an older model?

I may be misremembering, but I seem to recall that that was a weakness in the earlier translucent Manix cages, contributing to their disuse for the past several years.
That’s my recollection, too. I think it happened to Jim Ankerson.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Yeah it’s a translucent cage. Too bad it’s such a tiny, intricate part, I would try to CNC one out of aluminum.
Nate

Post by Nate »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:37 pm
Yeah it’s a translucent cage. Too bad it’s such a tiny, intricate part, I would try to CNC one out of aluminum.

Here's one in ti:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/man ... e.1060567/

Afaik no one is making these or similar for sale, but it would be cool.

There's also the Demoncase fix:

viewtopic.php?t=69190
:spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

We had a thread years ago about someone making titanium cages for like $45 but it never happened.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zhyla

Re: My Manix 2 just broke :( [update: fixed!]

Post by zhyla »

Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I made a 3d model of the cage from the broken one I had and had it 3d printed in a steel/bronze alloy.

It's rough and came out a bit undersize, so I had to do some dremeling. But it works!

attila

Post by attila »

Cool!!!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
sal

Post by sal »

Nicely done Zyla.

We've replaced the translucent cage some time ago with a much tougher material and have had no problems since.

sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

sal wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:09 am
Nicely done Zyla.

We've replaced the translucent cage some time ago with a much tougher material and have had no problems since.

sal
Sal, I don't have any doubts about the 2nd gen cages being bullet proof. I just needed an excuse to dabble in metal printing.
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

That's a definite improvement, well done!

To be honest, I wouldn't mind the plastic cage so much if it didn't have that seam running down the middle of it. It's the only thing holding me back from buying the G10 Manix 2.
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

cptdean wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:17 am
Well, it's an improvement to being broken. Other than maybe looking cooler this is not really an "upgrade" over the plastic cage. As Sal mentioned, the newer cages don't break. This is a little gritty compared to the old lock as it's not as smooth as the plastic. A lot of people have wished for metal cages and I understand why. In the back of our minds we're thinking, "This knife will last forever, but how long will that plastic part last?" Probably the answer is "forever", but I understand the concern.

It's too bad the clear cages didn't pan out, I think they're nice looking.
cptdean wrote:
To be honest, I wouldn't mind the plastic cage so much if it didn't have that seam running down the middle of it. It's the only thing holding me back from buying the G10 Manix 2.
What seam? I never noticed a seam on my old cage. Seems like an odd hill to die on.
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:21 pm
cptdean wrote:
Well, it's an improvement to being broken. Other than maybe looking cooler this is not really an "upgrade" over the plastic cage. As Sal mentioned, the newer cages don't break. This is a little gritty compared to the old lock as it's not as smooth as the plastic. A lot of people have wished for metal cages and I understand why. In the back of our minds we're thinking, "This knife will last forever, but how long will that plastic part last?" Probably the answer is "forever", but I understand the concern.

It's too bad the clear cages didn't pan out, I think they're nice looking.
cptdean wrote:
What seam? I never noticed a seam on my old cage. Seems like an odd hill to die on.

I meant an improvement in appearance and material choice. I saw an older thread where someone had fashioned one from titanium, and I thought that was cool.

So far, every Manix 2 cage I've seen online (pics and vids) has a seam running right through the middle of it. The G10 version is the only one I'd want to own, and I think the whole knife looks perfect except for that one little detail. I might still buy one, but I sure do wish that part looked better. (I'm a fickle pickle.)

Edit: I should add that I meant no disrespect to Sal and company. There's no question that the Manix 2 is an excellent, well-respected knife, and I have no doubt the cages are high-quality and durable. I was only commenting on aesthetics.
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:59 am
sal wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:09 am
Nicely done Zyla.

sal
Sal, I don't have any doubts about the 2nd gen cages being bullet proof. I just needed an excuse to dabble in metal printing.
Ha so have I. We used an SLS (selective laser sintering, a process to make 3D printed metal) part once at my job but the poor surface finish and inconsistent material properties really limit the applications. Thanks for sharing!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Nate wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:20 pm
zhyla wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:37 pm

Here's one in ti:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/man ... e.1060567/

Afaik no one is making these or similar for sale, but it would be cool.

There's also the Demoncase fix:

viewtopic.php?t=69190
hey, someone remembered I did something useful- thanks! :)

I'd add as an addition to the 'failure mode'
1. I definately had the Manix apart to fit aftermarket scales before the cage failed- so may well have applied side loading to it beyond that approved by the factory
2. My friend (Magical Trevor) who actually broke it did eventually admit to being unable to work out how it unlocked and "pried the 'plastic bit' closed with the tip of another knife after I got it out of the dishwasher".....The Wikipedia article on "Why you don't loan your knife to anyone" is just a picture of Trevor, grinning. :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

cptdean wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:34 pm
So far, every Manix 2 cage I've seen online (pics and vids) has a seam running right through the middle of it.
Almost all plastic parts have some kind of mold artifact like that. It's not a weak spot or anything, just a fact of injection molding.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:59 pm
cptdean wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:34 pm
So far, every Manix 2 cage I've seen online (pics and vids) has a seam running right through the middle of it.
Almost all plastic parts have some kind of mold artifact like that. It's not a weak spot or anything, just a fact of injection molding.
If that seam wasn't there then the plastic would not have gone to the very edge of the mould.
In that case, you'd have a void or a dent where a crack would start.

And that's a bigger concern
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Slash

Post by Slash »

That's pretty cool. My fradon is telling me it whats stainless steel. Wish spyderco offered some aftermarket pieces. That plastic just doesn't gel next to marbled cf.
I suppose I could mess around with a dremel till I got it right.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I haven't had any issues with the plastic cage, my interest in a titanium or other metal cage is more about just general modding and tinkering than anything else. It's definitely more of a want than a need.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David