Spyderco Story Book? Time For A Sequel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toxophilus

Re: Spyderco Story Book? Time For A Sequel?

Post by toxophilus »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:43 pm
I would love to read it but the $200 price tag is a bit steep. Perhaps Sal and team could digitize it and post the pdf version on the website for all to enjoy free of charge. It is a great form of free advertising. People love these kind of stories and it makes for loyal customers.
You could go to your local Library and ask for the book using their inter-library loan system so you could read it :spyder:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The value to me as a published author is that I created my book, researched it, wrote it (many times during the editing process), designed the cover and put it up for sale. This occupied the better part three years. I may write another. Depends. I loved doing it but certainly do not want anyone copying, distributing or selling it without my permission. An astoundingly small number of writers make any money to speak of, but none-the-less, our works belong to us.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

A completely new work is in order, then....

The original work, which I have seen parts of, but never owned, is a stand alone piece of art.

But with time passing, a new book seems to be a thing that will take up Sal and Eric's time to compile, narate and assist with, and so it might never happen.

But a new book would be great.

Spyders, Edges, and Intergrity...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

toxophilus wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:57 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:43 pm
I would love to read it but the $200 price tag is a bit steep. Perhaps Sal and team could digitize it and post the pdf version on the website for all to enjoy free of charge. It is a great form of free advertising. People love these kind of stories and it makes for loyal customers.
You could go to your local Library and ask for the book using their inter-library loan system so you could read it :spyder:
It just depends because I live here in the Kansas City, Missouri metroplex and it's bigger than you might think and it's public library system is also bigger than you think. About a year ago I asked them for 3 different books that I was searching for and the Spyderco Story was one of the 3. I was only able to get one out of the three I asked for. The one I was able to get was one about the Charles Manson family and it's an older, very rare book about that crime family. But they couldn't even order The Spyderco Story from another library system throughout the Kansas City metroplex and we have several libraries in the surrounding Kansas City area.

OK I said all of that to say this. If I can't locate a copy of the Spyderco Story from a library system as big as the one we have here in KC then what are the odds of most people getting a copy to borrow from a much smaller library system wherever you might live here in the continental USA? You might get lucky but I doubt if that is a publication that most libraries keep on their shelves. Correct me if you think I'm wrong>> but I know I'm right about the Kansas City public library system not having one because I asked at 4 different branches and no luck what so ever.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I had no intention of making the file available without permission, and I think I was pretty clear about that in my previous post (though nobody can read that now.) Deleting my post gives the impression after the fact that I had linked the file. I was only stating that the file exists, should the original author or Spyderco or some other relevant party wish to make it available. I was volunteering to be helpful. The next time an opportunity to be helpful presents itself, I will consider my options more carefully.

Just to be clear, I already own a hard copy of the book. I'm not violating any copyright laws by personally possessing an electronic copy. I haven't distributed the file, either here or anywhere else, and I would never consider distributing the file without permission from the rights holder. I have personally created huge amounts of commercial copyrighted material in my professional career, and I dislike the implication that I would willfully violate anybody else's IP rights.

You should also know that my journey to find an electronic copy began here on this forum. It has been linked here before on more than one occasion. None of those posts were deleted, despite the fact that they actually linked the file, and people presumably downloaded it from here when the links were still valid.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:24 pm
A completely new work is in order, then....

The original work, which I have seen parts of, but never owned, is a stand alone piece of art.

But with time passing, a new book seems to be a thing that will take up Sal and Eric's time to compile, narate and assist with, and so it might never happen.

But a new book would be great.

Spyders, Edges, and Intergrity...
That's interesting Stuart :) And with that all being said and I have no doubt at all you are correct then I have one question. How did they have time the first go around when Kenneth Delavigne did the Spyderco Story? Not trying to be a wise guy or anything of that ilk at all. I'm just pointing out that whoever would take on the project could more than likely get access to most of that information through various sources within the company and I'm sure they could do it without bothering Sal,Eric or anyone else critical to running the company. I'm sure they could do it again if they desired. I am wondering now how Mr. Delavigne got the job of writing the original Spyderco Story? Also I'm starting to believe that a second edition ( sequel) would probably be a bigger project than the first one was. Just an outsider looking in and taking a guess you might say :)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Accutron wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:47 pm
I had no intention of making the file available without permission, and I think I was pretty clear about that in my previous post (though nobody can read that now.) Deleting my post gives the impression after the fact that I had linked the file. I was only stating that the file exists, should the original author or Spyderco or some other relevant party wish to make it available. I was volunteering to be helpful. The next time an opportunity to be helpful presents itself, I will consider my options more carefully.

Just to be clear, I already own a hard copy of the book. I'm not violating any copyright laws by personally possessing an electronic copy. I haven't distributed the file, either here or anywhere else, and I would never consider distributing the file without permission from the rights holder. I have personally created huge amounts of commercial copyrighted material in my professional career, and I dislike the implication that I would willfully violate anybody else's IP rights.

You should also know that my journey to find an electronic copy began here on this forum. It has been linked here before on more than one occasion. None of those posts were deleted, despite the fact that they actually linked the file, and people presumably downloaded it from here when the links were still valid.
Sorry if my post on copyright and freely sharing someone else's intellectual property caused you to think I was targeting you for any impropriety. That was not my intent at all.

I don’t like theft. I do not accuse you of any dishonesty. My sincere apologies if I even hinted at that.

Regards,
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Accutron wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:47 pm

Not a problem, sir, and I'm not blaming you but that last paragraph could explain why I have not been able to sell my copy on Amazon for three years, even though it was the lowest priced copy in its condition. Welcome to the forum.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

with the raise in popularity and fame thay Spyderco has gained thanks to the internet (especially outside of the US) I bet a new edition (re-printing, and possibly a sequel) would sell like hotcakes :eek:

and would easily cover the cost of re-printing, re-editing and making it possible, and most likely the same for the potential sequel :cool:
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:59 am
with the raise in popularity and fame thay Spyderco has gained thanks to the internet (especially outside of the US) I bet a new edition (re-printing, and possibly a sequel) would sell like hotcakes :eek:

and would easily cover the cost of re-printing, re-editing and making it possible, and most likely the same for the potential sequel :cool:
Until someone makes a digital copy and offers it for free.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'd love a sequel picking up where the original left off!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Deacon, you have a year or two to spare by chance? :)

Rich
Think for yourself
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

My hardcover version is one of the most treasured objects in my Spyderco collection for sure.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Or a Spyderco documentary with lots of interviews, anecdotes, etc.? Could be faster and less expensive to produce, and video interviews become treasures with time.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Just with the Sharpening Equipment alone that Spyderco has provided to the marketplace could be a book itself. It's extremely interesting that Spyderco is one of the very, very few knife companies that even address the job of keeping your knives sharp. Other than BUCK I can't think of many knife companies that have also marketed any high quality sharpening equipment.

Since the publishing of the Spyderco Story by Kenneth Delavigne there have been so many profound changes within the company. I think you would be hard pressed to find any kind of a company irrespective of what product they market that has progressed as much as Spyderco has. They truly have taken cutlery and sharpening tools to a much higher level and have provided the knife buying public with such a broad selection that you can get blades for almost any job imaginable.

This would truly be a huge task needless to say and it might have to be done in segments with several contributors. Actually that might be the solution.